The Blogger's Quandary: Desperate Humility Or Arrogant Confidence  

Posted by Heidi in


Fourteen years ago I wrote a book. In a few months from now it will be published. Call me a freak but I want people to read it. That is why I started this blog. I felt that if people had a sample of my writing, they would want to read my book (I don’t even care if people buy it—just read it! And then send me fan mail. Money is good, too. You can keep your firstborn. Unless you want to trade yours for mine. Just kidding. Sort of). That by having my book cover prominently displayed on my blog, people would be exposed to it and would be more inclined to pick it up, whether it be at the library, on Amazon.com, at a garage sale, at the thrift store, on a stack of garbage on the corner of Fifth and Main, it matters not, as long as people give it a chance.

So, this is why I started this blog. However, it is more complicated than that. I have to know that people are visiting my blog, reading my blog, enjoying my blog, because that means, Hey! Success! when it comes to the book that has been waiting to be read all these long fourteen years, stuck in the proverbial drawer, rarely seeing the light of day except when we moved, (but only when we dropped the box it was in, spilling the contents all over the ground).

What I am trying to say is that all of my lame efforts to “be popular” are really all about me, my book, me, my writing, me, my blog, and me. And that’s okay, right? Coming to my blog, reading my blog, are all good and well but comments, becoming a “follower” or whatever lame, insecure thing I ask you to do, are all about feedback from you to me, letting me know whether or not I can start planning on a future as a famous writer (don’t forget rich) because that’s really all I have ever wanted.

Except for the husband and kids and the little cottage and the garden and the color pink everywhere I look and some cute clothes, especially ones that coordinate with the seasons, and a little white dog (well, she’s pretty optional) and the basic necessities of life like food and shelter and water and a car to get me around and a phone and a computer. But, hey! I have all of those things! The chance to be a writer that people read is on the table right this very second. So, tell your friends. Unless, of course, you hate me, and then you would probably just not do anything helpful at all whatsoever. And I get that. I do. (I would hate me, too.)

This entry was posted on Friday, October 3, 2008 at Friday, October 03, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

19 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Heidi,
You ask for so little, it seems just a tiny request to have your public read and comment on your blog. I know that I personally can not wait for your book to surface and become available to your adoring fans. This is really cool!
Roxanne

October 3, 2008 at 9:30 PM

Thanks Roxanne. What a jewel you are. I wish everyone felt that way. But, well, anywho . ..

October 3, 2008 at 9:50 PM

and BTW Heidi, I love the picture at the top of this particular post. If you don't mind I think I will do a little paper piecing and make up a scrapbook page.
Roxanne

October 4, 2008 at 7:42 AM

I'm totally good with your blog being all about you. Just remember me when you're rich and famous. 'K?

(Speaking of which I asked my library to order your book. I'd pre-order mine through Amazon but for some weird reason they have not been getting me my new releases until I write persuasive emails.)

When I started my blog, I just wanted a place to store my comments that were too long for other people's blogs. And maybe a few cute things about the kids. But now I totally care about who's reading and if they like me/what I'm writing.

Humility or hubris. They love me. They love me not. They love me. It's fun, but crazy-making. :)

October 4, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Roxanne, it is a scrapbook thingy-a sticker collection I bought that was meant for scrapbooking--I thought it would be fun. I'm glad you like it--I can email you the image if you like.

October 4, 2008 at 8:47 AM

Jami--aw shucks, thanks! Hey, go to Good Deeds (its in my blog roll) and read about the good deed someone blabbed.

October 4, 2008 at 8:48 AM

I am excited to read your book! I am on the count down to publication and am cheering you on for success!

October 4, 2008 at 5:48 PM

Kazzy, you are such a peach!

October 4, 2008 at 6:29 PM

I'm totally excited for your book to come out! And that is one of the things that caused me to return to your blog again and again.

Fourteen years is a long time to wait for providence to smile upon your creation! It took my husband fourteen years to have a screenplay he wrote finally made into a feature film. I understand that investment.

I really hope it goes well for you.
But don't forget us when you're rich and famous.

October 4, 2008 at 7:14 PM

Holy cow! Screenplays go for a whole lot more money than little novels. Can you say for what? TV? Big screen?

October 4, 2008 at 9:53 PM

Oh lady. I think you're refreshing and talented and so much fun to read.

Blogs pretty much serve the purpose of being all about the writer :)

NO, you haven't said anything offensive, by the way--I'm just WAY behind on life (and blog reading) these days, so I haven't been keeping up as much as I like with commenting. I do read though! Because I'm a follower, and I like you! :)

October 4, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Heather--Phew! I really did think maybe I messed up somehow. It happens. Especially when I'm around. BIG MOUTH! Never know what I said, just that people get peeved. You'd think I'd figure it out but somehow I just don't. Anywho, off to sleep better now. . .

October 4, 2008 at 10:48 PM

These blogger subject posts are always so funny. You need to turn them into a satirical blogger book or something like that...I'm sure the blogger world would eat it up!

October 4, 2008 at 11:19 PM

Hey, there's an idea! That would be fun . . .

October 5, 2008 at 11:17 AM

It becomes an obsession, right? Now that my book is out I keep trying to think of what I can do to increase awareness and hopefully sales. Of course your market it much larger than mine, but I have a feeling it may be the same for you too.

October 5, 2008 at 8:16 PM

Umm, yup. I need to check out your book! I will--promise!

October 5, 2008 at 8:24 PM

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on your book! You really are a great writer and very funny, so I'm excited to read what you've published. That is so exciting. I love "knowing" an author! There are a few other bloggers I read (I think you do to) who are trying to get things published and I would love one day to have a special shelf for books of people I know through blogging. Maybe it will one day be filled with books of yours!!

October 6, 2008 at 9:59 AM

14 years! I'm really trying not to take joy in other people difficulties but you just made me feel so much better about my book that's been sitting on my hard drive for three years that I was starting to worry about.
And I promise, I'll read it.

October 6, 2008 at 2:41 PM

Lisa and Alison, I don't know how I missed these comments--but thank you both for your positive thoughts about my book, your book, books in general!

October 10, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Post a Comment