Halloween Has A Purpose  

Posted by Heidi in


I had this totally awesome post planned for today, one that may or may not have involved some very frighteningly funny photos of The Spouse wearing a pumpkin costume (including lid) but they have mysteriously disappeared from my hard drive, soft drive, medium squishy drive, I checked 'em all, and they are poof! gone! It's a tragedy of epic proportions but it's Halloween and one must expect a few tragic circumstances on the day the spirits walk the earth.
For those who are fans of all things Celtic (i.e. Irish, Scottish, Welsh) long long ago Halloween was the day the Celts believed all the people who died the previous year walked the earth for one night. If someone went to their death angry at you (because, perhaps you cut off his head with an axe or you accidentally poisoned your husband with bad food--it could happen!--or even something more menial such as robbing mom as she lay dying) this was the night they would come back to exact revenge. So, the people (especially the guilty ones) built huge bon fires to keep the spirits away and put out bowls of food to appease the angry spirits should they get past the fire. Chocolate candy bars probably weren't on the menu at the time but I daresay the invention of such has been very useful in stopping the blood thirsty avengers dead (enjoy the pun) in their tracks. And you thought it was just about the kiddies!

This entry was posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 at Friday, October 31, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

12 wise, witty and wonderful comments

This comment has been removed by the author.
October 31, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Sorry I had to delete the first post because it listed me as someone else. anywho, what I said was, Dang I would have loved to see the pumpkin complete with lid. I do hope that you and all your little goblins have the happiest of Halloweens. I do love the courtyard all decorated up, that would be enough to draw me in.
Roxanne

October 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Are you going to have your little darlings to your house Roxanne? Peggy always has a party at her house for the San Jose crowd but we never make it that far on Halloween.

October 31, 2008 at 12:51 PM

The Spouse strikes again!

October 31, 2008 at 3:09 PM

Happy Halloween, Heidi! This post (and the previous one) have me in the Halloween mood.

Cindy

October 31, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Thanks Cindy!

October 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM

A bonfire sounds perfect for Halloween, except we'd probably burn the state of Nevada down, since it's so dry here :(

You need to put incriminating photos, like the ones you lost, on a secret flash drive ;-)

October 31, 2008 at 3:49 PM

So when we give candy out to the kiddies we are just building up some credit in case we offend them later? Sounds logical. I like it!

October 31, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Nev., I like the flashdrive idea--why didn't I think of that? Kazzy--I love the way you think! You have such sharp mind!

October 31, 2008 at 7:08 PM

Happy Halloween, Heidi! And I'm sorry to hear about the lost photos. Is there any chance that they're still on the camera? Perhaps the Spouse swapped out the memory card unbeknownst to you. Just a thought.

And I also wanted to say that I much prefer the new decor here at Dunhaven Place. No offense, but the old color scheme always seemed to give me a hankering for a swig of Pepto-Bismol each time I was finished reading...

But then again, maybe that didn't have anything to do with the color scheme after all...

:D

October 31, 2008 at 10:28 PM

AJ, it is always a good day here at Dunhaven Place when you drop by. I'm glad you like the new decor. And hey, my hits have gone up since I ditched the roses so who can argue with that? Happy Halloween!

October 31, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Oh! Thanks for the story of Halloween! I've been reading lots of Halloween stories, but this is the first story of Halloween that I've read. Very interesting. And scary.

November 1, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Post a Comment