If (My) Kids Ruled The World  

Posted by Heidi in

Dear Mom,

If I ruled the world, I would say that we shouldn’t have to go to church on Sunday and that homework wouldn’t happen and that sugar would be good food instead of junk food (I mean sugar, the junk food, not Sugar the dog).

Your Little Guy


Dear Mom and Dad (as taken down by the MC)

If I ruled the world, no one would get sick and everyone could get a new body anytime they wanted. And animals could talk.

Love the Big Guy


Dear Mom, (or Dad. Whatev,)

If I ruled the world, I would make the rule that you and Dad can’t talk after I go to bed. You are too loud. And you can’t watch TV. Or chew. Ever.

Love the Middle Child

P.S. Novel writing day is going well--I wrote almost 4,000 words yesterday! Woo hoo!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at Wednesday, February 25, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

40 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Your kids are too funny! I love the talking animals one.

February 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Hee hee! Those kids rock!

Tell your little guy I totally agree! (but all the sugary stuff would be 0 calories. It's only fair) =)

February 25, 2009 at 9:08 AM

4,000 words? I'm jeaous! I'm not in drafting mode right now, and I miss it sorely.

February 25, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I'm a middle child myself, and have the utmost sympathy for children whose parents chew (I'm assuming not tobacco...). Rude!

February 25, 2009 at 9:14 AM
Anonymous  

Keep those words a-comin'.

I could totally go for that new body thing. Orson Scott Card wrote a somewhat freaky short story with that idea.

February 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM
Anonymous  
This comment has been removed by the author.
February 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Yeah. I think my middle child and your middle child are the same.

And I totally wish sugar was good food and not junk food. Sigh.

February 25, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I don't think anyone should be allowed to chew within 10 yards of me. Farther if they do it with their mouth open.

Congratulations on your writing! Way to go!

February 25, 2009 at 9:19 AM

What is with the chewing thing? I was completely annoyed by someone's chewing just this morning!

February 25, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I love your kids' letters. Hmmm. I wonder what my kids would say. Maybe we should try this as a FHE activity?

You are doing great with your writing. Is it fun?

February 25, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I love your kids' letters. Hmmm. I wonder what my kids would say. Maybe we should try this as a FHE activity?

You are doing great with your writing. Is it fun?

February 25, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I love your kids' letters. Hmmm. I wonder what my kids would say. Maybe we should try this as a FHE activity?

You are doing great with your writing. Is it fun?

February 25, 2009 at 9:21 AM

What a hoot! And congrats on the word count!

February 25, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Yeah, mom! Knock off all that loud chewing. And that breathing thing? Totally getting on my nerves!

(AKA two thumbs way, way up!)

February 25, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Awesome---especially the new body one.

February 25, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Wow! 4k in a day? Incredible! And I love your kids' ideas. The chewing comment made me laugh pretty hard, but I tried to not be too loud.

February 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM
Anonymous  

Oh, I fully embrace my jealousy. I know all about those 3900 words sister and I'm positively GREEN with envy. =]

February 25, 2009 at 10:33 AM

I'm glad that there's no plans for eating the pooch... but a new body... I'm voting for that one!

February 25, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Yay for successful writing days!

Your kids are so funny and you can certainly tell that the MC is a girl in her teen years.

February 25, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Too funny! I think I would have chosen the parents not talking after I go to bed rule when I was a teenager too.

Cindy

February 25, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I like them all each in their own way, but I think getting a new body anytime I want would be pretty spectacular! :D Awesome on the 4k words! WHOO!

February 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM

You guys are the best! I spent the WHOLE morning listening to a friend on the phone b/c she is having a hard time and I STILL haven't been able to get to your posts! aiii!! As for the 4,000 words--for some reason I just do better when I spend time writing in large chunks. I could write for the same number of hours divided up five days a week, and I wouldn't get nearly as much done. Yet, I could never pump out that many (usable) words if I wrote ten hours a day five days a week. Too exhausting! So, for those who write 5 days a week or 6 or 7, you should divide my 4000 by the number of days in a week you write and then you won't think I did so hot. I'm happy with it, though. Gotta have time to blog, right? Lisa and others who hate the chewing too--I'm glad to know that. Maybe there is hope my daughter can have roommates at BYU who don't want to kill her and even get married and stay that way. The new body thing--well, my Big Guy has cerebral palsy so, . . he's really looking forward to getting a new body. It's just what's on his mind a lot. Heatherlyn, since you asked (three times but I won't mention it) YES, writing is a total blast when you are writing to please yourself as I am at this point. When you are re-writing (which is a huge and essential part of writing) to please your editor and there are "expectations" and deadlines, it is pure hell. I hate it. The getting published part is a blast again, so it's all worth it. Kazzy--I appreciate your sensitivity. :) Laura--you look good in green (JK!) Ack, I hate it when I dont' have a chance to check my comments until there are a bunch piled up b/c it is really hard to individually respond to everyone. But I love all your comments and appreciate your wisdom and wit and all around wonderfulness--and that includes Jami and Lisa and Kim and Becky and Cindy and Alyson and T and Barb and Randi and Lara and Pam and Annette and Scarlett and Kristina!! You guys rock!

February 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Ack, and Melinda! YOu snuck in there whilst I was composing my looonnngggg comment there.

February 25, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I love these letters! I should ask my boys what they would write.

And good for you on writing that much! Yay for Tuesdays!

February 25, 2009 at 12:11 PM

We always suspected you and Roy were too loud.

Thanks, MC. Keep up the good work.

February 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Erin--I think it is a good thing. Reed--I guess this is where I confess I made up the whole thing BUT in my defense, I based it on things they have said in the past. Last night we got the edict about the not talking after she goes to bed. It was my inspiration. So, it's all true even if I kinda faked it. (I'm evil)

February 25, 2009 at 1:31 PM

That's another thing we always suspected. Keep up the good work.

February 25, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Ahahah...Big Guy is toooo hilarious. I guess there will be no more bed talk for you and the hubby eh? LOL.

I'm with Little Guy, homework should never be invented in the first place esp. if the parents are the ones who are doing most of them...LOL.

And Middle Child is sooo sweet because I am in desperate need of a new body...thank you sweet child, I will totally follow all your rules..eheheh.

Heidi, your kids are awesome. Yay for the novel writing and keeping on schedule. If I ever scrape up enough money, I will buy all of your books.

February 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Never Chew Ever.... this would solve my zipper issue.

February 25, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Cute.

If I ruled the world...Hmm... What would I do?

And way to go with all those words!

February 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Those are the cutest letters from you kids. It is always fun to see life through they perspective --------AND IF I RULED THE WORLD ----watch out.

February 25, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Reed--you are a suspicious guy. Keep up the good work. Anjeny, books are expensive aren't they? So far, though, there is only one. . . Fiona--LOL! Heather--thanks sweetie, Wendy--you're scaring me. Can you believe, I STILL havne't had a chance to read one blog today? It makes me crazy when I can't get my daily dose . ..

February 25, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Congrats on the word count. I think if I ruled the world that I would make a rule that my son couldn't chew. He is the loudest chewer EVER! Maybe he could just drink everything through a straw. I finally broke him of slurping.

February 25, 2009 at 11:09 PM

At least the middle child did not complain about you looking at her. I get that one all the time, and the chewing thing also. Can't wait for the Big guy to get his new body either.

February 26, 2009 at 12:35 AM

So glad about remembering that Sugar the Dog was not food. . .

~snicker~

congrats on the 4000 words! That's amazing!

February 26, 2009 at 8:55 AM

ha ha ha ha! I like the one about not chewing.

YAY for YOU!

February 26, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Melanie--you lie! He can't be the world's loudest chewer b/c, according to the middle child, I am. When I go to Utah, he and I will have to have a chew-off. Nutty--you are the sweetest! Eowyn--she IS pretty darn sweet so we always have to clarify, just in case . . . Crash--thanks! Keep up the good work, yourself!

February 26, 2009 at 11:27 AM

That is the funniest thing I have ever read. They should write books too.

February 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Is it bad that I'm ahem middle aged and I would have similiar rule the word demands?

February 26, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Mariko, that's sweet but really? The funniest? You are sadly deprived. Jen--no, it's not bad at all!!

February 27, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Post a Comment