The Joy Of Blogging  

Posted by Heidi in

There are some who think of blogging along the lines of high school; popularity contests, campaigns for who will be the Homecoming Queen, the head cheerleader or the student body president.

True, there is some of this in blogging. Some of these childish bids for attention are part of the reason someone will check out one blogger or another, but it isn't why they stay.

The glue that holds bloggers together isn't how we are different from one another but how much we are alike. For that reason, I find blogdania a very joyful place to be, a place that has facades, to be sure, but also a place where the facades cover mostly the superficial while all that truly matters shines forth in all its glory.

It's a good place to be.

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 at Sunday, February 22, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

31 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I agree!

I was just talking to Erin about this at our meet and greet that sometimes, blogging can bring out the worst in women. But overall, I have found it to be a very rewarding experience.

I met 40 great women yesterday, and it was so neat to be able to finally met these women who we care about in blogland.

February 22, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Except that with blogs, totally unlike high school, if you don't like someone, you don't have to see and/of read them. It's sorta marvelous.

February 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I learn so very much from others. I want to be better because of blogging. And, I have learned so much about myself that I really didn't know. So all together with all these amazing women, I feel completely blessed because of blogging.

February 22, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Ha---that's what you think. The only reason I blog and comment on other blogs is cuz I'm aspiring to be the best. I think I'm getting close.

February 22, 2009 at 5:02 PM
Anonymous  

Do you sometimes click on a blog from someone's bloglist, then click on one from the list on that blog, and so on until you're several steps removed from anyone you actually know? Think how much fun it will be to "recognize" those people when we meet on the other side of the veil.

February 22, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Thanks Heidi for the post. I found out about blogging from a friend of mine and it took her a while to finally got me interested in blogging. I had no idea what it was all about until I read on her blog how she does posts sometimes to keep grandma up to date on the kids, I got hooked on that idea.

As you've visited my blog a lot, I mentioned in my header that we live far away from family so my blog was my very cheap and fun way to keep the family up to date on our happenings. And I've learned a great deal from all the bloggers I've read, the amazing talents and friendship I felt from every blogger.

I also love the fact that I know now that I am not alone with struggles on this mommyhood. So thank you, I really love this post.

February 22, 2009 at 5:32 PM

It is isn't it! :) -A good place to be.

February 22, 2009 at 5:59 PM

"but it isn't why they stay."

I've been thinking a lot about the reasons I love certain blogs. No matter what the "extras" are, I stick around for THE PERSON behind the blog. The heart I see in the words and the creativity.

Well said, lady. I'll stick around :)

February 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I love blogging. I love meeting all different kinds of people with different outlooks and similar outlooks.

:)

February 22, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I enjoy blogging. I think it does make it somewhat obvious how much we really do have in common. It has to be the minority that are immature about it, right? And even then, it's pretty obvious. I certainly have enjoyed getting to know quite a few people who I never before would have known. It's great.

February 22, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Blogging is some of the best adult social interaction I get. And I don't even have to leave home. It is a great place to be.

February 22, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Well said.

February 22, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Oh Heidi, I tagged you on my Friday post. Check it out, I'm dying to see your pictures, ok? Thanks

February 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM

well said!

(and how glad am I that I don't have to spend hours on my hair and make-up to blog... stupid high school...)

February 22, 2009 at 8:51 PM

thank you. Just thank you. you have said it better than I ever could.

February 22, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Kristina, can't wait to see more pics of your meet and greet! Mombabe, I totally agree! Jan, so do I! Barb--you are wise, witty AND wonderful! Pam, I haven't done that but it sounds like fun! Anjeny, I think that's the best part--no matter your trial, you are not alone. Heather and Heather EO--this is getting ridiculous what with HEO almost always posting right after one of the other three Heather's who comment here. Thank you both, though! Heidi, exactly! Heatherlyn--right, no matter how many facades a blogger puts up, the truth will quickly become obvious. Becky, that's one of the big perks for me, too, since I'm a big homebody. Joy and Rachel, I appreciate it. Anjeny, look for it soon! T--no doubt!!!!

February 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM

It is totally about the people behind the keyboard for me. I am a people person, and love the idea that through blogging I can hook in with more interesting people. Present company definitely included!

February 22, 2009 at 10:18 PM

As you know, the more real the person behind the blog is to me the more I love their blog. You are especially real to me!

February 23, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Kazzy and Jami, you have no idea how much I needed to hear that this morning! Thank you!

February 23, 2009 at 7:19 AM

Nice post ... I'm enjoying blogging. You were one of the first to welcome me and have been generous with guidance, thanks!

February 23, 2009 at 7:23 AM
Anonymous  

Dear Heidi,

I can't possibly explain how moved I was by your post. I agree with it wholeheartedly and wanted to take a second to tell you how grateful I feel that I've gotten to know "the woman behind the keyboard" just a little better. You constantly support and uplift me. Without this awesome "blogosphere" I never would have met you. I'm more thankful than I can say. Thanks for sharing the ride with me.

Laura

February 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Fiona, Laura--very grateful,thankyou!

February 23, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Hear hear. I'm considering whittling down my blogs I read (sad!) and I realize that some of my favorite blogs are those that don't have bags of followers. But you're surely on my short list too, even though you're ALL popular. :)

February 23, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Blogging is a way for me to create the relationships with other women that I lost when I quit teaching. It's great to be able to seek out women with similar outlooks, interests, sense of humor, etc. Blogging has definitely been a blessing.

February 23, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I couldn't agree more. I have loved making new friends in blogland. And I really do think of them as friends. Who would have ever guessed 10 years ago, right?

Thanks, Heidi!

February 23, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Amen! And when do we get to see photos of you and Jami!

February 23, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Love you guys! Thanks so much! It's been a bad bad bad morning. I just feel sick to my stomach . .. your support means to so much! Except for, ahem!, Crash, who would have seen pics of me and Jami if she hadn't been so busy having ADDD.

February 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM
Anonymous  

very interesting thoughts, I stop having fun when I start wanting comments, but when I do this for the main reasons I started, tehn it's all good, but I have loved reading others blog :)

February 23, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Amen to that!

February 23, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Amen!

February 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Amen, Sista!

February 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Post a Comment