Sink Me! Your Tailors Have Deserted You!  

Posted by Heidi in

Things have been a bit grim around here so I am determined to “think positive”!

1. Yesterday the Middle Child and I watched The Scarlet Pimpernel (the title of this post being one of my fave lines there-in) during which she turned to me and said (simultaneously warming the cockles of my heart), “Oh! Anthony Andrews! Sir Percy, Baronet! Sir Anthony, Baronet! I get it!”

2. Adam Lambert—love him or hate him (or anywhere in between) the man has a set of pipes on him. He has his roots in musical theater (surprise!) and makes manna out of one of my most fave songs ever, Come To Me, Bend To Me, from Brigadoon. Can you say Swoon?





3. It seems my funny bone has been mostly broken lately. Turns out my thyroid has been a bit off-kilter which has slowed my metabolism. New meds should perk me up by the end of the month (here’s hoping!) (and praying) (and sobbing but I digress . .. )

4. At the Little Guy’s school open house last night, the mother of another student stopped me to rave about my kid's wonderful qualities. Words like “kind”, “smart”, “loving”, “even-keeled” (the last being particular pearls of great price in this abode), and even “perfect child” were used. I know better but was disinclined to disabuse her of the notion (mostly because I was so touched I couldn’t speak).

5. The children in LG’s class wrote and illustrated their own books which were on display last night. They were fun and colorful and all had titles such as: My Favorite Puppy, My Bunny Foo-foo and Let’s Go Hunting! My child’s book was called “How The Earth Was Made.” (Not sure where he got his info but it sounded very impressive.) Another assignment he wrote said, “I wish that everyone had a home. I have a home where there is lots of love and food!” (Since he rarely eats any of it, this one stupefied me but I figure I ought to keep that paper on hand should CPS knock on my door to demand I feed His Skinniness.)

6. The Middle Child had her Open House the night previous. Her art teacher, who teaches art six periods a day, posted one of her drawings on the wall in a place of honor and told us it was the best drawing of the year. He then showed us a note sent by a former student who just got an art scholarship to UC Santa Cruz and expressed his expectation and desire to receive a note just like it from the MC one day. (AHHHHHH!)

7. I am grateful the MC and the Big Guy take turns having meltdowns, else I would have to drive them to the desert, boot them out of the car and peel off into the sunset.

8. Suicide watches can be fun!! Really!!! Especially when lots of chocolate is involved. ("Are you feeling better, yet? No? Here’s another candy bar! Better yet, let’s go get ice cream! With lots of hot fudge!")

It’s going to get worse, my friends, before it gets better. Pray for us! Love you guys!

This entry was posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 at Friday, May 22, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

39 wise, witty and wonderful comments

And yet, you've kept your sense of humor through it all. Thyroid or no. Good luck to you.

May 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Heidi, you do an amazing job.

May 22, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I love it when other people praise my children! It makes my day, and sounds like it does yours as well.

I hope things perk up for you. With all that chocolate around, how can it not?

Will be praying for you!

May 22, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Love the Scarlet Pimpernel; I need to show it to my kids. I hope things get better for you--and for me!

May 22, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Sounds like you have your hands full. Adam really was an amazing singer and will do well in the industry. I grew to like him more and more as time went on. Hope you get your thyroid situation figured out and I hope "sunshine" finds you and your family really soon.

May 22, 2009 at 2:39 PM

It seems that often very talented artistic people are also tormented emotionally on the inside. Does it require that sort of inner torment to create good art? Or is it just a coincidence?

Good luck with your kids. Your life is never dull.

I like the idea of medication by chocolate. :)

All of your children sound interesting and dynamic, even if they sometimes give you grief. You are a good mother.

And we happen to be watching The Scarlet Pimpernel tonight for our family movie night! I haven't seen it in a decade!

May 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM

you are one busy lady! Hope the thyroid situation levels out .. that doesn't help anything does it?!

May 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Heidi, I'm sending you the biggest, richest, chocolate bar through bloggerwaves (Kindof like brainwaves, but not). I hope it helps.

I love, love, love the Scarlet Pimpernel (I even love the book).

May 22, 2009 at 4:47 PM

I hope you get out of the muck soon. I know it is forever when you are in it.

And your LG is so cute, how could people not love him!

May 22, 2009 at 5:04 PM

crazy day here - but I just couldn't skip reading a post with "sink me" in the title... love me a little pimpernel!

You do an awesome job - really - I'm impressed and even if I'm easily impressed you should be proud of the good you do!!!

May 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I will be praying for you!
Hope this weekend brings you a few lovely moments.

May 22, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Have you ever watched Ivanhoe with our friend, Anthony? Cuz if not, I feel that you really need to see it. Soon.

May 22, 2009 at 6:09 PM
Anonymous  

Have to second Heatherlyn's comment.

Prayers and the very best virtual European chocolate (I prefer Leonidas) coming your way.

Can't remember if I've mentioned it before, but my little brother committed suicide, and my Mom and sister have both had suicidal periods. I really do feel your pain. (I received all the worst of the physical genes in our family gene-pool, but seemed to have missed out on all the emotional/mental health issues--always a trade off...)

May 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Hope you have a super weekend!
♥ HUGS ♥

May 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM

lots of chocolate & the Scarlet Pimpernel. Great combination. Add a 3-day-weekend on top and hopefully you'll come out singin'!

May 22, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Lara--I'm glad you think so but it IS getting harder and harder to do so . . .Kristina& Rachel--thanks so much! Becky-it sounds like you're having a weekend, eh? It'll get better! Wendy--I have never watched a second of AI but I do try to keep up with what's what. I love his voice! Heatherlyn--no doubt! She is very artistic. Fiona--it makes everything hard. Yuck! I hate it! Carolyn--I love the book, too, and El Dorado and The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel (and I think I've read one other) Kazzy--double thanks! T--My husband can imitate him so well! Love it! Sabrina--thanks so much! Barb--I HAD NO IDEA! I absolutely must! Putting it on my Netflix queue right now . . . Pam--I'm so sorry! It's so true, though, about those genes. Some of us at our house have the mental weaknesses and others have the physical weaknesses--it's a good thing, too (tho no weaknesses at all would be great!) Shauna & Terresa--I appreciate you!

May 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM

I love getting to see what the kiddies are up to at school. Especially when you wonder where they get it from.

I hope your funny bone gets better. I love that. I'm gonna have to use that next time I dont think hubby is funny. :)

May 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM

I too use food as a band aid...when in doubt, add sprinkles...

May 22, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Anonymous  

Scarlet Pimpernel is the bomb. And yes, I "got" it, too! We take turns quoting it all the time as well!

And I love your number seven. I feel that way all the time, except there isn't a desert near us. I'm more liable to drop my kids off in the woods with a bag of bread crumbs instead! (Better yet, I'll go to the woods with the bread crumbs and leave them behind!)

May 22, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Love you!!! And remember, there's always some worse off, always someone. Not sure who at this moment, but they are out there, I am sure of it. :)
Keep your chin up and keep thinking positive.
xoxoxo

May 23, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Your funny bone hasn't disappeared, it is just in the shop getting a new coat of teflon applied. You are a great mom, and some of the most brilliant people ever have their up and down times. I hope that everything resoloves for you soon. I wish there was something I could do ( I will pray no worries)

May 23, 2009 at 5:41 AM

I have a blog award for you at Messy Jess!

My bishop said this to me last Sunday...
It seems that it lasts forever when we are "in it" but just hold on to the fact that you already have what it takes to get through it. You'll come out on top. Smiles and tears. Replace your fear with faith.

May 23, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Oh I've had that thyroid out of whack-a-mole before too. THE PITS. Good luck with everything. I'll send some Tim Tams. The news about the children is very good news indeed. I love that kind of news. Nothing like it.

May 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Much prayers are with you. Oh, and Brigadoon is one of my all-time faves. This is a great rendition of the song. Gonna have to check this talent out!

Congrats on MC's talent. And I am totally glad that Big Guy and MC are taking turns. I would be the bad parent the at just drops them in the desert even if they take turns. See, I've told you I never should have been a parent.

May 23, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Did I miss something somewhere??? Suicide Watch??? I'm confused.

But I can tell you're toughing it through :) You're awesome and definitely have your family in my thoughts...

May 23, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Congratulations on the artwork and your son's school projects. It would be fun to see them all.

I am sorry things are so tough for you right now. We have a family near us who has several members battling depression. From watching their struggles I have seen to some degree how difficult it can be. I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

May 23, 2009 at 9:12 PM

hmmmm... I'm wondering if the Thyroid isn't my problem???

well... I definitely will keep you in my prayers and I hope everything gets better.

And there is nothing better than people showering you with compliments of your kids!!!

May 23, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Wow, when it rains it pours! I'm so sorry. Yay for sense of humor, yay for compliments for your kids - always a bright moment, yay for chocolate and it's healing powers, yay for thyroid drugs, yay you're still hanging in there!!

Had to stay with someone after hiding all the sharp objects one night - very scary.

I wish you well.

May 24, 2009 at 3:20 AM

I'm glad you have these wonderful moments to temper the others. You certainly deserve them.

Adam Lambert is wonderful. I don't understand at all why people love to hate him. He's got a gift, and I love that you shared this video, because it made me love him even more.

Keeping you in my prayers...

May 24, 2009 at 9:42 AM

You have my prayers, lady. You are brilliant, wise, witty, beautiful, talented, loving.......

Believe it!

May 24, 2009 at 5:34 PM
Anonymous  

Oh Heids, my heart, my prayers, my love are with you. And I couldn't be more proud of MC that she is loving SP with you!

May 24, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I will eat and pray on your behalf. Wow.

May 25, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Love'n'hugs, m'dear. You're amazing, even if you're not feeling that way at the moment. Love ya!

May 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I will pray.
But kudos on all the great kid developments.

May 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Some times are just so hard and it feels like all of the other hard things decide to wait until RIGHT THEN to happen, too.
I hope things get better very soon. In the meantime, chocolate DOES help.

May 26, 2009 at 6:37 AM

Oh, I'm sorry you've got so much negative going on. That LG is truly an angel for you, isn't he? I wish you the best in dealing with your problems. Love you!

And if it makes you feel a little better (just so you know that I suffer, too) I have NEVER seen The Scarlet Pimpernel. Right now I'm reading The Scarlet Letter, but that's a very, very different thing.

May 26, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I just really like you. I really really do! Sorry I haven't been around, I think my funny bone's been broken too! (although after reading this you totally handle that better than me!)

May 26, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I am catching up on a week's worth of blog posts! I am sorry to hear about MC issues (maybe the end of the school year and thinking about next year is making it worse).

I love the LG comments and they are SO true!

May 29, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I love Adam Lambert. He sounds like an Irish tenor in this clip. I hope someday he puts out a cd of showtunes!

May 31, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Post a Comment