The Last Vestiges of Summer On The California Coast  

Posted by Heidi in


Sunday was hot and Monday rumored to be cooling down so The Spouse took the day off of work and we spent our time outside, reveling (kidless) in the gorgeous 70 (ish) degree weather. It was the last day of true summer in the San Francisco Bay Area.

We ate lunch by the palm trees and negotiated with a wily seagull as to how much of our toasty sandwhich bread would end up in her beak (not much). She wanted to share in the chocolate cake, too (not a chance).




We watched the speed and sail boats go by and were happy for a nearby fisherman who caught himself a lovely fish which he flapped around for far longer than needful so the passersby could all get a good glimpse of his good fortune.


It is dry and somewhat colorless in California this time of year--the sun has bleached everything out.
The local church. Out of respect, I waited until all the attendees to a funeral had dispersed before snapping this shot.

Morning Glory and Bouganvellia, a photo that would have turned out better if I hadn't snapped it from inside the car, leaning over my husband's lap. It was a dirty job but someone had to do it.


Doesn't the pathway down the sidewalk look so inviting? It surely was.

Goodbye summer. You'll be missed.

(If you have blogged about Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind and don't see a link to it in my sidebar, please email me at write2me@heidiashworth.com or my other email address with the link so I can include it. Thanks SO much!)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 at Wednesday, September 30, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

20 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Anonymous  

I wish I could live in your summertime. It's too beautiful not to. Someday, I'll visit and you and I can taunt seagulls with chocolate. =]

September 30, 2009 at 12:08 PM

What a lovely day, and gorgeous pictures!! Looks like perfect weather for a perfect day!

September 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Somewhat jealous. . . I need a kidless day with my husband. Looks lovely.

September 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM

It's lovely. I guess that's why people like living in that area! :)

September 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM

You should be a photographer as well as a writer. I love your eye and what you see through the lense.

September 30, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Lovely scenery-----so much nicer than the torrents of rain I see out my window today.
Way to have a last summer outing. Next week go on a 'welcome to fall' outing.

September 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Absolutely beautiful! We love the Bay area.

September 30, 2009 at 3:38 PM

When I can I come visit!?! :)
Beautiful pics!!!

September 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

You know. I feel like I just had a very pleasant afternoon in the Bay Area of California. Thank you! I needed to get out and about today.

September 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM
Anonymous  

Sounds like a perfect birthday date!

September 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Aloha my friend! It is so good to see you again. I have been such a self centered brat since I moved. Alls I think about is what I need to do and what I need to get and what I need to buy to get settled in before winter. I really need to stop living in a ME ME ME bubble.

Sigh!

This looks like a wonderful day. So long summer, is right. It's 42 degrees here. And you're right, leaning across your hub's lap is a dirty job, but if someone's got to do it, it might as well be YOU!

hee hee

September 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Great photos. I am glad you and The Spouse got some time with no kids. That has seriously become crucial in our marriage. Good to hear from you.

September 30, 2009 at 10:56 PM

What great pictures. It looks like you had a wonderful day. I am never sorry to see summer end though, (here in AZ life gets much better in the fall) but I do miss having my kids all back in school.

October 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Wow, we're just about to bid farewell to Fall here. Funny how I forget that there's life outside Wasilla, Alaska. Good thing I have the blog-o-sphere to remind me.

Beautiful pictures!

October 1, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I wish I could join you!

October 2, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Lovely pictures! Oooh this reminds me. I have a post almost all finished of your lovely book. I'll let you know when the post is up!

October 2, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Looks like a lovely town you live in Heidi! I will read your book, I swear I will, and then I will blog all about it!

October 5, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Beautiful pictures Heidi. I love them. I really want to visit now. . .

October 5, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I'm dazzled. Truly. So much sweetness and wonder and warmth!

October 6, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Lovely, just lovely. I know I always say this, but it bears repeating: you have an eye for beauty.

October 6, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Post a Comment