Darling Buds of May  

Posted by Heidi in


Here in the San Francisco bay area we are experiencing the coldest May in fifty years. I can't remember it ever being this chilly at this time of year (which means I'm still (relatively) young). It seems only fair that if the last two weeks of the month were going to be cold and rainy (today it poured and hailed which might be normal for your area which is why I don't live there) the first two weeks were truly spectacular: sunny, cloudless, mild days redolent with the scent of orange blossoms, the very same blossoms that ordinarily get blown off in the last wild storm of winter or are withered from the vine in an early blast of high summerlike temperatures. As I shiver at my computer, I am grateful that I took some photos back in those halcyon days.

Out in the garden . . .









View from the windows . . .






Bringing the outdoors in . . .



Princess Alexandra of Kent, Abraham Darby and Queen of Sweden, all by David Austin



Princess Alexandra of Kent and New Dawn climbing rose



New Dawn climbing rose





I just love their sweet, little faces!

Still, I think the one below is sweeter . . .

Read more of my reflections on roses HERE

This entry was posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 at Thursday, May 27, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

20 wise, witty and wonderful comments

What a lovely home!!! Your garden is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

May 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I think I'm in love with the New Dawn climbing rose! Absolutely beautiful!

May 27, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Oh the loveliness! So sorry your halcyon days have been (briefly, I hope) cut short!

May 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Are you sure you live in the US? Looks like Britain, sounds like Britain. :) Wishful thinking, huh?

XO

May 27, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Oh, hey, I love the looks like Britain part--it's always my goal.

May 27, 2010 at 8:42 PM
Anonymous  

Your garden is a haven I wish I could bask in daily. Alas, I'll have to make do with these beautiful pictures. (And doesn't LG just look gorgeous?)

May 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM
Anonymous  

So glad you got photographic documentation (especially of the little guy).

May 27, 2010 at 9:07 PM

they're so stinkin' cute when they sleep!!! not the roses :)

May 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM

We had snow here, a couple of days ago, so I hear you about the cold! But your garden seems to be thriving.

May 27, 2010 at 10:30 PM

My goodness, Heidi. I think everyone knows roses are pretty but I personally hardly realized HOW pretty until you came along. SO gorgeous. (and that little boy!!)

May 27, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Gorgeous springtime photos. I hope the weather brightens up again soon!

May 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Gorgeous springtime photos. I hope the weather brightens up again soon!

May 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Gorgeous springtime photos. I hope the weather brightens up again soon!

May 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM

It has been strangely cold here in Vegas too. Why is global warming so cold?

How do you know Stephanie? It is really a small world huh?

May 28, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Your pictures just brightened my day, thank you! As agreed by everyone else, its been very cold here too! (hasn't stopped raining for over a week) Needed that bit of pretty!

May 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Beautiful, beautiful and more beautiful.

You could easily host a photography/home decor blog. You know that! ;)

Happy Memorial Day Weekend! We are all about sleeping in tomorrow. Mmmm, bliss.

May 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Beautiful. Just WOW.

And the last photo? What peace! Love it.

June 1, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Love the roses! Wish I could grow them here in my beloved mountains! Your home is beautiful!

June 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I have such a soft spot for roses. One of the many, many things we have in common.

Boy, that boy of yours if gorgeous. What a sweetie.

June 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Me, too. He's beautiful.

Your photos (and your home) are unlike any others I see on various blogs. I can't really articulate it, but I love it.

June 7, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Post a Comment