First Responders  

Posted by Heidi in


I love my flowers--they're some of my very best friends.
As if this wasn't enough, I have about 400 rosebuds about to burst into bloom at any second.
Be still my beating heart.
I missed May Day this year--in recompense, I have posted this video of Julie Andrews singing The Lusty Month of May from Camelot, one of my all time faves.
Nobody does it like Julie.
Below that are pics of some of the first responders (first to bloom in response to my pleading and cajoling) in my front and back gardens. Enjoy!






Q
Queen of Sweden--again. What can I say? She's the Queen.



The Mary Rose, Coat of Many Colors, White Iceberg, Abraham Lincoln




Nothing smells better than orange blossoms. There are things that smell as good, but nothing better.


My rain soaked Abraham Darbies. Poor babies.






The orange Coat of Many Colors fades to this gorgeous soft pink and yellow. I lurve them. Orange is a coveted color at Halloween but an orange rose that obliges me by turning pink . . . there are no words.














Queen Elizabeth, not to be confused with The Queen of Sweden. (We're still talking roses, here. Either that or I have friends in high places.)



Bonne nuit.

This entry was posted on Sunday, May 2, 2010 at Sunday, May 02, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

23 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Your house must smell so good.

May 2, 2010 at 9:05 PM
Anonymous  

The roses are magnificent, but what about the dragons? Et bonne nuit a toi aussi.

May 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM

What a nice little retreat you have there!

May 3, 2010 at 7:13 AM

here where i live they grow fields and fields of rosed for bare root plants when they are all in bloom
which is most of the year..

the smell is wonderful.

i can just imagine what your yard smells like..

May 3, 2010 at 7:16 AM

Beautiful!!! There isn't much blooming here yet - and when it does it just freezes under the next round of snow. Blah! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration that spring will be here someday.

May 3, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Just about makes me want to have the patience for green-thumbery..Beautiful!

May 3, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Oh my gosh! Your flowers are so beautiful! We just had snow last week here. But the tulips are popping up. Yay!

May 3, 2010 at 8:26 AM

one day we should go to the flower market. you could die happy! you have an amzing gift!!! xoxo

May 3, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Flowers in bloom are truly a gift from God. I love them too and yours are fantastic!!!

May 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Wow! You are a fantastic gardener! So beautiful.

May 3, 2010 at 8:47 AM

I've always loved roses, a sweet experience I had as a little girl, your pictures make me wish for a garden full of beautiful roses! Gorgeous!

May 3, 2010 at 9:10 AM

My mom was singing that same song yesterday. Sadly, May is not yet lusty here in Utah. It's cold.

Love your garden!

May 3, 2010 at 9:41 AM

What a fun trip through your garden!! Thanks for the tour.

May 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I think I need to learn that lusty month of May song - THAT would be fun :) Love the flowers!

May 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Ah, Camalot.

May 3, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Very nice. But what about those stupid dragons?

May 3, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Your flowers are stunning, and your taste in musicals equally so.

I had a yard full of irises--not quite so impressive as roses, but lovely nonetheless--until the weather in Nashville decided to pretend it was Noah's time again.

I remember the first time I heard this song. I was a theatre nerd in Jr. High and checked the record out from the library and played it. I remember blushing and moving to the next song when I figured out the lyrics in this number.

May 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Your Abraham Darbies are my fave. Lush.

Can you bottle up some of that rose scent and send it to me??

May 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I can't really see roses without thinking about you, Miss Heidi!

May 4, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Oh loveliness! Almost you convince me to conquer my fear of bees and surround my house with flowers!

May 6, 2010 at 10:20 AM

You are right. Nothing smells better than orange blossoms... or any citrus blossoms for that matter. Well, maybe a gorgeous rose smells just a wonderful. Looks like you and I have both so we don't have to choose.

May 8, 2010 at 12:22 PM

What a lovely arbor...I just love those roses! The music of Camelot to make those blooms merrily appear.
A beautiful inspiring hide-away
hugs
Marta

May 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM

That was a really great video clip. It made me happy.
And I love all of your roses and I love the orange blossoms so much. We have an orange and grapefruit tree and the blossoms smell heavenly!
xoxoxo

June 2, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Post a Comment