First Day of Summer--Arise and Rejoice!!!  

Posted by Heidi


Summer is an idyll of long, lazy days of bright flowers . . .

blue water . . .



and liquid sunshine.



It is also a time when all the children are home from school.
A time of adjustment.
A time of frustration.
Therefore--a time for new and punitive--seeming rules.
So far, the hammer of local law has come down on these things:
There shall be no wearing of annoying flip-flops in the house.
No exercising in the living room, esp. in the early A.M.
No music whatsoever: your choice might not be the choice of others.
No wathing of T.V. or talking AT ALL before all have arisen.
No eating in public spaces such as the kitchen, dining room or living room.
I wonder what rules the Middle Child will have for the rest of the family.
As for me, I'm feeling the pinch.

This entry was posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 at Monday, June 21, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

16 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I'm fairly certain summer is a time of no indoor exercising period. Let alone in the AM.

June 21, 2010 at 10:21 AM
Anonymous  

Does she also impose rules on herself?

Happy Anniversary, by the way. Hope you have a nice celebration.

June 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Ah, that made me giggle! My girls are getting a little too fond of rule making too. I should tell them that eating treats is against mommy`s rules. They`ll harass me till I lose the weight. =P

June 21, 2010 at 10:47 AM

oooh, on my way home after a whirlwind vacation and I'm a little afraid of what rules have and have not been followed in my absence. I think my new rule should be no leaving my bedroom before 9 a.m. - just think of all the reading I could get done!

oh, and sleeping...

June 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I hope you have an amazing summer, Heidi!

June 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Ha ha ha! That is seriously funny. And now we know all your BAD habits! :)

June 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I hope mom is immune to these rules - especially playing music! :) LOVE your photos!

June 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

The garden is beautiful!!!!!! We are hoping we can break our 3 year old of the habit of waking up at dawn. But I would like my older kids do a little exercising at least.

June 21, 2010 at 1:46 PM

Heidi, it's so beautiful!!!! I think I need to come visit. Summer just started here too and I am so excited. =)

June 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I am going to visit my SIL the third week in July in SF (proper); if you can meet me somewhere one day I would love to treat you for lunch. Let me know!

June 21, 2010 at 4:13 PM

It's nice to have some flexibility in the schedule, but tough to adjust to everyone taking up so much space, huh?

Hope you are well. When will we get to see you in one of those photos? You know, lounging near the flowers with a good book???

June 21, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Ha!

Summer is my FAVORITE. Except for this sunburn...sheesh, I should totally learn to wear sunscreen. That should be a rule for my Scandinavian skin :)

June 22, 2010 at 5:20 AM

Summer is definitely a mixed blessing. Bossy children can make things a bit dicey for everyone. Gotta love those moody, moody hormones! :) Good luck!

June 22, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Now those are some rules! I think I'll just stay around my house.

June 22, 2010 at 4:44 PM

The hammer of local law....that is funny.
but yes indeedy, rules must be set during those summer weeks when everyone is home.
not a time for vigilantes (sp)

June 22, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Love you. I'm waiting my turn.

June 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Post a Comment