Getting Back to Business . . . and Roses  

Posted by Heidi


Once upon a time there was a man who insisted that the world was green. There was another man who insisted that the world was blue. "It's green!" said the first man. "It's BLUE!" insisted the second man. As it turns out, the man who thought the world was green lived in the jungle. The man who knew the world was blue was up in a helicopter looking down at the jungle which appeared to him as a green dot in a vast sea of blue.
However, there is a third man in this story. He was an astronaut up in a space capsule who said, "The world is black with white stars and in the center, there is a blue/green/brown marble."

**************************************************************************************

"Behold all ye that kindle fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks, walk in the light of your fire and in the sparks which ye have kindled. This ye shall have of mine hand---ye shall lie down in sorrow." Isaiah 50:11

Discuss (ummm .. .people aren't discussing. The above are some thoughts I plan to share during a talk at church. Does anyone see a connection between the story and the scripture verse? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?)

(I miss all of you and feel like a jerk for not reading blogs since school got out three weeks ago. There are things that have required my attention . . . but I'll be back!)

This entry was posted on Monday, July 5, 2010 at Monday, July 05, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

12 wise, witty and wonderful comments

forgiven - without even asking :) THAT is how much we love our Miss Heidi :)

July 5, 2010 at 8:50 PM
Anonymous  

And then there was a woman who said the world is pink, because she always had her nose buried in beautiful roses.

July 5, 2010 at 10:19 PM

We all miss you too. Good luck with those things.

July 5, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I grew up in a little provincial town and am grateful for the security and familiarity I was raised with. I married and lived where my husband worked of course, which introduced me to other parts of the United States. However, it is just in the past two years that an appetite to learn about women in cultures and with perspectives outside of my American one, drove me to read one book after another. Little did I know that my heart and brain were being pried open for a purpose. We are now in England on corporate assignment, and our daily associations and budding friendships include people from every corner of the globe. The initial shock I felt has melted into appreciation, even awe. It is ALL good. And -- I know -- good for me. What we think is right and real has so much to do with perspective.

July 5, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Perspective can be dizzying stuff, can't it? Funny how we all look at the world in our own way, from our own viewpoint. The ability to see it from another's is a rare and precious thing

Have missed you and truly, nothing to forgive first. Always life first, blogging second.

July 6, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I thought the world was brown...

July 6, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Sorry. That's way over my head.

July 6, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I always love seeing things from a new perspective. But I do realize that my own perspective is fairly limiting sometimes and requires a lot of faith to see the eternal perspective. Which is, of course, the most important.

July 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I totally understand Heidi. This summer has been so busy for me. Good luck and I hope you and your family are having a great summer! =)

July 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Of course we forgive you! Hope all is well. Good stuff to ponder here.

July 6, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Well, first off, I have never quite "connected" with Isaiah.
I wish I understood him
BUT I know that people are fickle....I am glad God planned the world, the colors, the textures, all of it.........cause we are not wise enough to KNOW

July 6, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I see it as if we choose to do things our own way, it's not going to work. We will never see the whole, true picture, and, as Isaiah says, we are going to have sorrow. However, if we turn our lives over to God, who does see the whole, true picture, then we can find joy in the midst of our jungle or sky.

Have missed you, but given that I've been practically AWOL myself, you are 100 percent forgiven!

xoxo

July 12, 2010 at 5:55 AM

Post a Comment