In Which Dunhaven Place Gets Too Big For Its Britches  

Posted by Heidi in ,

It’s difficult to explain how it all happened. It’s not that I don’t know the story, it’s just that it sounds a bit on the crazy side. I mean, who opens up an actual brick and mortar store in this economy? (And names it after her blog?) One that’s chock-a-block full of pretty things that nobody really needs? I ought to have my head examined (though that’s nothing new). Meanwhile I am SOOOOOOOO TIIIIIIIIIIIIRED!!!! And brain dead. (Move along, people, there’s nothing to see, here.)

We open our doors in 3-4 weeks and I am too tired and busy to be nervous. Of course this is the reason (THIS calender year) (because we all know that I have been full of excuses for a long time, now) that I haven’t been getting around to seeing how you are all doing. This is the reason my posts as of late sound like I’m “phoning it in” (shades of James Franco). This is the reason why I haven’t been able to focus on the debut of my book to the extent I would like to. This is the reason I haven’t even started on MD3.

However, once the store opens and I am sitting behind the sales counter twiddling my thumbs 9 hours a day, I will have lots of time to catch up on what all of you are up to. Time, as well, to bring Ginny’s daughter (Luisa) and Lucinda’s son (Herbert but I call him Harry) (and not because of a certain currently infamous prince but because it's the Spouse's middle name and I have loved it (and him) since before Mr. Wales was born) to life. They’re a fun pair already, I can tell you that. They keep dancing around the edge of my brain asking that their story be told. They aren’t terribly demanding yet, it’s not in their nature, but should they be in danger of being lost, they’ll show their true metal, I have no doubt.

Soon there will be a website (Dunhaven Place.com) (no need to click, because, like my brain, there's nothing to see. Yet.) to check out with all the fun pictures of what we are up to at the store. It will involve lots of DIY projects and painted furniture and all around delicious eye candy. But first we will collect the keys to our space and start moving things in and doing inventory and all of those fun things that store owners do. I can tell you right now that I plan to feature some beautiful dishes by this artist here. She’s the one who made the adorable regency cups that are being given away on this here blog this here month. I can also tell you that there will be artwork by this gal here. She is the one giving away the beautiful painting inspired by Miss D. You can enter to win it (a $300 value!) by checking out the rules HERE.

Other giveaways include copies of Miss Delacourt Has Her Day being given away HERE, HERE, and HERE, as well as a new one that started today by the Lovely L.T. of Dreams of Quill and Ink. She wrote a very intriguing review of MD2 today that gives away just a teensy bit more of the plot than we have seen in the other reviews. The review is worth reading simply for her writing. L.T. is a lexicon lover of no small talents. I often imagine her sitting at her beloved lappy, rolling words around her tongue like a mouthful of gourmet chocolate. She absolutely loves them and they clearly love her. She is also a huge supporter of writers she enjoys reading. I would call her a “fan” but that doesn’t quite fit. She’s more like a peer-in-waiting, already busy rubbing elbows with published authors and giving them lots of love. When she officially joins the ranks, she’ll fit right in. Be sure to read some of her previous posts. She makes words sing.

This entry was posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 at Friday, March 11, 2011 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 wise, witty and wonderful comments

You're really opening up a store or am i reading this in my pregnancy foggy brain and reading it wrong? That is so amazing! It sounds like such a lovely store and someday i might have to stop by!

March 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Oh, I'm so excited for you!! Keep up the good work! What an amazingly huge "project"! I hope it all comes together how you hope it will (or better than you can imagine).

Totally agree about L.T.'s way with words. She's awesome and makes me more excited to read your book!

March 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Wo, you're opening a store? That is awesome, Heidi! You are my hero. :) Keep following your dreams!

March 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM
Anonymous  

A store with YOUR stuff?! Oh, my gosh! It's CHRISTMAS! I'm SO driving down to CA just to blow my savings! No, really. I will REALLY come there some day and get myself all kinds of pretty! Especially because I was lamenting the lack of my pretty and envying your abundance of pretty just this very day!!! Oh, hooray! Best idea ever!

Thank you so much, Heids. You're too nice to me. But I love ya. And your books. And all your pretty. (And now, *rubbing hands together* I will be able to get some pretty of my own! Gwa ha ha!)

March 11, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I'm so excited for your new venture but oh my, no wonder you're so tired! Good luck, hun!

And I love what you wrote about L.T. She makes words sing - oh yes!

March 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Best of luck in your business! Sounds so cool!

Going to read LT's post...

March 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM

AND you're opening a shop?? You are full of surprises. Can't wait to hear more.

March 13, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Wow Heidi! That is so cool! I had no idea you were doing that. I hope it all runs smoothly. That's just exciting! =D

March 14, 2011 at 7:34 AM
Anonymous  

You're way too nice to me Heids. I love you so. I swear I commented on this once but I think it's been eaten. Grr.

And as for your store...I want to live there! Today! Tomorrow! Forever!

March 23, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Post a Comment