No More Frolicking on the Beach--A Swan Song  

Posted by Heidi in


Tomorrow morning my schoolteacher husband goes back to work.


So today we spent his last day of summer vacation at the beach.


Santa Cruz, our usual sandy hang-out, felt just a bit too far away, so we hit Ocean Beach, neighbor to the San Francisco Zoo.


We like this beach, in spite of this sign, which always gives me the chills whenever I see it. (Of course, the bulk of the chills are most likely due to the fact that it is always overcast cloudy and cold there. Always.) I tend to be just a bit more vigilant at this beach because of this sign. I can’t help but imagine voracious riptides that creep up the beach to snatch unsuspecting six year olds and drag them out to sea. Since I have a six year old, this gets me right where I live.





This six year old in particular has the key to my heart. This might have something to do with the fact that he is the only one of my children at the tender age of six who treats me like a human being with needs and feelings and not just the gal with the food, or the shoulder to cry on or the keys to the car or the allowance money.




In spite of the clouds and fog that hung like a dark shelf over our heads, I managed to see through my camera’s viewfinder well enough to take a couple of pics that weren’t too fuzzy.



And in spite of the fact that I haven’t quite figured out how to use my new photoshop program (I finally have the 2007 edition—is there a newer one? Wait! Don’t tell me! Let me enjoy being up to date for once in my life) I managed to get some pics cropped and sized for this blog post.



I only wish I knew what this expression was for.




And oh how I wish I had my old photoshop so that I could get rid of that lady who looks like she is hanging onto his cheek.

When the fog rolled in so thick that it felt like rain, we packed up and headed to the public restroom.


Here is the Little Guy whining about why he can't possibly use the public restrooms as they are dirty and wet and just like the beach he was playing in sans footwear and no anxiety.




And here is the Little Guy explaining how very very very badly he needs to go.
So, we drove him right to a café where we got him a nice hot chocolate to warm his bones.




When it was all gone, he filled the cup right back up. That’s just the kind of guy he is.

P.S This is the first time I have uploaded photos that I “fixed” using my new photoshop program. On photoshop, they looked bold, beautiful, crisp and wow! They popped! Once inserted into my blog, they look rather drab. I feel more than a little gypped. Any photoshop users out there who knows what I am doing wrong?

This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at Wednesday, August 20, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 wise, witty and wonderful comments

What a great day. I love the beach, yet we never go :( Thank you for keeping tabs on me. All is going ok right now. Peter looks like he's growing up a little to fast. Soo handsome! He's a heart breaker for sure!

(I don't have photoshop, yet. But I want it!)

August 20, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Yay, Hillary! It is good to see you in cyberspace!

August 21, 2008 at 6:55 AM

Post a Comment