Best Tattoo EVER!  

Posted by Heidi in

This landed in my inbox this morning and I instantly fell for these guys. This clip is narrated in French, which is the only version I could find on Youtube (I couldn't make the email link work. I'm pretty lame that way). However, in the English version, the narrator explains that this is a drum group from Basel University in Switzerland and they are performing at a Tattoo. For those of you who don't know, it's a Scottish tradition--usually you see a lot of men in kilts beating on drums. Bagpipes are involved. You gotta love the Scottish tattoo (at least, I do) but they are very traditional--these Swiss guys are very innovative and super fun to watch. For which I am very grateful.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCNvk4Khn88&feature=related

This entry was posted on Friday, November 7, 2008 at Friday, November 07, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Spiffy! Makes me want to get in touch with my Scottish roots!

November 7, 2008 at 11:09 AM

I wish I had some. I have to be content with my Welsh ones.

November 7, 2008 at 1:11 PM

WOW! I am going to admit, I was a band geek growing up. Actually, I was on the drill/dance/flag team. We performed with the marching band and drum line. I love this kind of stuff. Way better than any I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing. I might just have to peruse youtube for more now.

November 7, 2008 at 1:42 PM

Loved the vid! I posted it on my FACEBOOK as tribute to my missionary son who is a drummer. Thanks for the heads up.

November 7, 2008 at 2:23 PM

When I was looking for this on Youtube, I saw that there were a number of others featuring this same group. I didn't have time to watch them all and see which was best but I am going to watch all of them. Eventually.

November 7, 2008 at 2:50 PM

My husband is a major drummer and he watched me watching it and said he's already seen it and then went on to tell me all about them.

Hey, I'm Scottish!

November 7, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I'm not, nor Irish, but I feel like I should be adopted into the tribe, or something . . .

November 7, 2008 at 3:21 PM

Oh, my gosh! Seriously amazing. This group should do a Vegas show. We saw some cool group stunts there this spring, but this drum group can definitely carry a show. They're probably the type that thinks Vegas is lame BUT hey could be a gold mine.

Leave it to me to think Vegas while everyone else who sees this is thinking about their European roots and music. I know. I'm cheesy:-)

November 7, 2008 at 11:06 PM

No, Marivic, you're smart. What you weren't able to hear in this version (unless you understand French very well--I wish I remember how to say very well in French!) is that these guys are all doctors, lawyers, teachers and other professionals who gave up their whole vacation time for the year to be at the tatoo (they never said where it was but I am assuming Scotland). So, I doubt they would be into being full time performers. They no doubt have families in Switzerland, too.

November 8, 2008 at 8:27 AM

Post a Comment