St. Patrick's Day Blessings  

Posted by Heidi in

A day early, I know, but I will be absent from blogdania tomorrow, attempting to get Miss D Two past the 20,000 word mark. Meanwhile, here are some of my favorite Irish blessings for some of my favorite people!

May those who love us, love us
And those who don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles
So we may know them from their limping!
***
May your home always be too small
to hold all your friends.
***
May your glass be ever full.
May the roof over your head always be strong.
And may you be in heaven half an hour before the Devil knows you're dead.
***
It's easy to be pleasant
When life flows by like a song.
But the man worthwhile is the one who can smile
when everything goes dead wrong.
For the test of the heart is trouble,
And it always comes with years.
And the smile that is worth the praises of earth
Is the smile that shines through the tears.
***
May the good Lord take a liking to you . . . but not too soon!

This entry was posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 at Monday, March 16, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

28 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Love the last one! Happy St. Patty's Day!

March 16, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Ah, your words are singin' t'the Irish in me!

March 16, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Okay, so here is where I tell the story about my little guy. We were in the middle of Kmart and he was demonstrating the tap dancing he was doing at school. Then he said, "I think it's the Irish in me!"

March 16, 2009 at 10:16 AM

These are so great Heidi. Love 'em.

And what a cutie that Little Guy is. :)

March 16, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Love the devil one! Thanks for the Irish. I needed it today. :)

Btw, did you ever fill us in on your husband's job? Is all well?

March 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I love those. Thanks for the St. Patty's Day wishes! Good luck on finding some more words!

March 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM
Anonymous  

Ah Lassie, you done gone and made me smile.

March 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I really hope that I'm in heaven before the devil realized I was dead. That would be awesome! Happy St. Patricks!

March 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM

These are so cute. I just discovered your blog through a comment you left on one of my friend's blogs -- and after reading through it a bit I ordered your book from Amazon. You are quite the inspiration!

March 16, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Lisa--yeah, well, it seems like he is catching on, too so I think I had better stop telling him how delightful he is (but he IS!) Kazzy--yep, we are in the clear, this year, anyway. Julie--thanks! Laura--hee hee, you're mixing your Irish with your Scottish but it's all good. Rachel--yes, I figure I need that blessing, too! :) Christy--you made my day!! Woo hoo!

March 16, 2009 at 2:12 PM
Anonymous  

May the wind be ever at your back, and may you write as if your pen--or keyboard--had kissed the blarney stone.

March 16, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I think I'll read these to my kids at breakfast tomorrow over green pancakes :)

March 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM
Anonymous  

Yeah, I don't profess to be any good at accents/linguisitics. =P But happy St. Patricks Day all the same!

March 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Pam--how cute! Thanks! Rachel--what a great idea! I think I'll be serving Lucky Charms. . . Laura--just ignore me! I'm a Celtic culture snob. Really really snobby.

March 16, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I love it! Such a fun post. I had almost forgotten it was St Patty's day tomorrow. You'll be missed :)

March 16, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I love those! They are so fun. Although just as I finished reading the first one my dad limped into the room. I am pretty sure he loves me though. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Good luck with your writing.

March 16, 2009 at 4:12 PM

they are all so clean!! The ones I learned were too naughty to post!

March 16, 2009 at 4:24 PM

The last one is my fav! Good luck on hitting that 20,000 word mark - we're all rooting for you!

March 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Terrific. I especially like the one about being in heaven before the devil knows you're dead. :)

March 16, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Heather--I will miss reading everyone's posts, too! Joy--that is SO funny! Fiona--I get it now! They teach the Scottish kids the naughty Irish blessings . . . makes sense! Becky--I'm so tired right now I don't know if I can do much of anything tomorrow but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Barb--me too! That's why I saved it for last!

March 16, 2009 at 5:45 PM

The first and last ones are my favorites. Awesome! The Irish know how to say it!

Sending you happy writing vibes for tomorrow!

March 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I liked the one about the people who don't like you limping. I guess I am to spiteful that way. Thanks for the Irish frame of mind.

March 16, 2009 at 9:26 PM
Anonymous  

I got that first one a few years ago from a friend. Love it. It would sure be useful, huh?

March 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM

I feel luckier just reading that Heidi. Thanks for the words to get me going.

March 17, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Hey...I thought you were supposed to be writing. No responding to comments for you today!

Many very fun and green sentiments in this post. My favorite part? Your use of the word "blogdania." That is why you are the genius behind the fabulous Miss D.

-Francesca

March 17, 2009 at 2:41 PM

(I just emailed my family a link to this post for my Irish blessings. Hope you don't mind! :)

March 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Thank you Heidi...love these wishes. Happy St. Patrick's day to ya!!

March 17, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Love Irish Blessings and a belated Happy St. Patrick's Day to you.

March 18, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Post a Comment