Blog Mom Funny Humor Parenting ha ha  

Posted by Heidi in

OR--Today's Random Thoughts:

I have insomnia—my daughter is about to leave for girl’s camp and we don’t have a whistle for her. I mean, we have one, we have five, in fact, one for each member of the family. They are orange and have a compass on one end and screw apart to reveal a secret compartment where you can store water proof matches for those days when the non-waterproof kind just won’t do. We are very “emergency preparedness” oriented at our house. In fact, many of you who might be reading this blog has one of these very same whistles because I gave them out as presents for Christmas last year. I think. I’m not sure, it’s early and I’m tired. So, that’s why I have insomnia—my daughter MUST have this whistle, a whistle, any whistle, and I have these great whistles and I CAN’T FIND THEM! They aren’t in either 72 hour emergency kit, they aren’t in the garage with the camping stuff, they aren’t in my purse, the closet, under my bed or in the kitchen junk drawer. I just hate it when I hide stuff from myself!

My husband, as an elementary school teacher, has two lovely metal whistles that he uses at recess but wouldn’t you know, he left them in his desk at school for the summer. I guess they were looking forward to a little time off, as well.



Anyway, I’m trying not to think about the whistles. I decided to think about my blog whilst I lay awake (since 4:46) instead. And what I thought is that people who are looking for a funny blog aren’t finding mine because I don’t have the right search words. That’s right, my friends, I don’t have the correct search words for the finding of a blog that people with funny bones to be tickled might find. So, that explains the title of this blog. Now that I can see what search words people use (and no, the people who google Tom Welling don’t stay to read anything) I thought I would give this a try.

Lastly, I am thrilled to announce a birth. On July 8th, my first hollyhock, grown from seed, planted by my own two hands, bloomed. This process has taken approximately 15 months and that is a heck of a long time to wait. I believe only elephants and giraffes wait longer. The pictures are a bit fuzzy (I need a new camera or new eyes—or both) but I am proud of my sweet pure white hollyhock blossoms.

Feel free to email or leave a comment with congratulations. It will take my mind off the whistles (I know where they are--I just don't know where they are! Hold me.) and the fact that my daughter, whom I was looking forward to losing track of for a week or so (hey, it helps!) is sitting here moping because she didn't get to go to camp and lose track of me. Did I mention, hold me?

Update 8:23 a.m. Mary is gone. No whistle. They took her--hey, we paid our $210.00, they had better take her!
By the way, just another random thought: Have you ever done the kind of spring cleaning where you move every dad-blasted thing, cleaned under, around and over, cleaned things that hadn't even been used, simply because it's time to clean? In spring? Yeah . . . me neither.

This entry was posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 at Monday, July 14, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I love your sense of humor. and your naked thoughts! I saw Roy and he told us he was off to buy a whistle! i hate it when you can't find things you need. Like I can't remember where I hid that bag of $100's!

July 14, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Hillary, I would be delighted to come to your house and help you search for that bag of $100's--really, I would! You wouldn't even need to make cookies. You could even take a little break and go somewhere after pointing me in the right direction . . .Hey, did you ever get my email about nursery subs and visiting teaching?

July 14, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Congrats on the Hollyhock! I love flowers and green and nature. I also sympathize with the whistle deal. Just teach her how to whistle with two fingers (surely one of your very talented siblings can do that ear piercing whistle) you generally never lost track of your fingers and therefore always have the capability to give off a shriek of whistle. My hubby(who believes that if you haven't touched something in the last 10 minutes it must be junk) has a cleansing and purging fetish and if anything is ever not where I believe it should be I look to him. well anyway I enjoyed your stream of consciousness. Keep up the good work.
Roxanne

July 14, 2008 at 3:15 PM

Hi Roxanne, I would be fine with the finger method but the people running the camp insist on a whistle. I suppose I should have made that clear--they said, "Don't show up if you don't have a whistle". But, show up we did and they took her and I must say, things have been a little less traumatic around here . :)

July 14, 2008 at 9:32 PM

I don't care what anybody says...You're very funny AND very smart. I really enjoy reading you blog...as well as the responses from Roxanne. I've never heard her use her fingers to whistle...didn't know she knew anything about that!
I checked out your web site...very well done. Debbie

July 17, 2008 at 6:28 AM

Debbie, thank you! Gosh, I wish you gals lived closer--we could have a lot of fun together!

July 17, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Post a Comment