An Unfinished Life--the Sequel, But, I'm Afraid, Not the End  

Posted by Heidi in ,

Guess what I did today? I was so inspired by all . . . erm . . ., let's see, gotta count 'em here, yup! all two of you who commented on their unfinished projects that I was just afire to get my hallway finished. The Spouse was feeling better so he did the taping which was greatly appreciated. I really like how it turned out. You might notice that this time, instead of erasing the mess on the door to the boy's bedroom, I highlighted it. That's just the kind of gal I am. (Turns out that it is more a matter of old half torn off stickers that accounts for the yuck factor on the door, not hand or foot prints.) Oh, and yes, if you notice, there are some nails sticking out of the wall--I don't remove nails when I paint if they are just going back in the same spot. Yessiree, I just paint over them, slap the pictures back up and call it a day. Which I will. Sometime later today. Or, tonight. Maybe.

I was so inspired by my new hallway color that I decided to do this wall in my living room, too. The paint color for the living room has been a sore point for the entire 2.5 years we have lived here because the the two walls adjacent to this one rise to a peak about 25 feet high (or thereabouts--I've never actually gotten up on the ladder to measure) and there is no way I'm going to risk me or mine or life or limb getting on a ladder to paint (let alone measure). So, that means we would have to pay someone to do it. With money. And from what I hear, they like real money, not the Monopoly kind of which we have more than we can use but the other kind, not much. So, I thought, what the hey, I'll just paint a little dibby-dab of this left over green (after the entire hallway AND my bathroom, I still have more than half a can left--that's just how small our little cottage is) and see how I like it. However, I thought it a might be too dark for the living room so I mixed it with Martha Stewart Ironstone White of which I keep a can of in my home at all times (a most excellent color for trim and shabby chic furniture of all kind). I thought I would do just a half wall to see how I like it, but, after two parts white and one part green, it was still too dark so THREE more parts of the white and I had enough paint to do this entire wall. I LOVE it! (In other words, it's too late for you to say you hate it, UNLESS it means you will leave a comment on my blog, in which case, go ahead and hate it as long as you say so.) Naturally, the blue painters tape will be removed just as soon as I can raise my arm above my head again.


I loved the color so much I thought, Why wait? So, I continued on to this part of the wall. The fact that I still had about two cups of paint to get rid of had nothing to do with it. I do love how the darkish paint contrasts with the white (ironstone white, natch) trim and how it brings the green of nature indoors. Love it! (Once again, if you do or you don't, you can always say so . . .)



In fact, I still had so much paint left over that I continued on to this part of the wall. That's when I ran out of paint. To finish this wall, I will have to move the computer desk which resides below these lovely pictures. Which means moving the computer and all the dust that has accumulated under said desk, etc. as well as mixing up another batch of paint with hopes it will match what's already there. Anyone wanna take a bet on how long it will take me to get this wall finished? If you read yesterday's post, you know it only took me 18 months to finish the hallway . . . By the way, that green hook in the wall? Never mind, way too hard to explain.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at Wednesday, July 30, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Heidi, Very scary to do all that custom paint mixing and then run out before the wall is finished!!!! I hope you can match the color, which will be hard as the existing color on your wall will dry a slightly different shade....Oh well...I do really like the shade, it looks close to the color of my family room walls...I never get tired of looking at that color...very relaxing. Mines been up for eight years...keep up the good work, my ambitious cousin. Love, Debbie

July 30, 2008 at 7:47 PM

Don't I know it! The one (oops, make that three) thing(s) I have going for me is that the part of the wall not painted is A)behind pics B) behind the desk and C) in the shadows. Paint looks so different in different lights,anyway, so I am counting on that to disguise my amatuerishness. :)

July 30, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Way to go cuz,
That was so ambitious of you. I am proud to say that we share the same genes. Now, I wonder how long it will take me to finish my projects.... Oh well, I am not feeling the need right now and besides if I don't have that little bit of stress in my life, what would get me up in the morning.
Roxanne

July 30, 2008 at 8:35 PM

LOL! Yep, stress does have its uses. I just push myself in the summer because 1) I feel better (in the winter I feel like I painted all day after a day of just lying around) and 2) Roy's home to sit on the kids while I do stuff. Nothing happens around here for the other 10 months of the year so this is pretty much it. He goes back to work in three weeks . . ackk!

July 30, 2008 at 10:28 PM

I like it. I think color always makes things look a little better. You wouldn't know I believe that by looking at my family room which is mainly black, tans, and creams...but I didn't want to invest in too much while we're moving around from apartment to apartment. Anyway. Color is good. Good luck on getting the paint to match. That'll be a job.

July 31, 2008 at 10:16 AM

I think perhaps this was a desperate ploy to sabatoge myself. Now we will have to just go out and buy paint that is similar and paint THE WHOLE ROOM. Actually, I was going to finish painting the one wall (it was always just going to be that one wall as an accent) today but I need Roy to help me move stuff and his arm is worse again today--I would say tough beans BUT I need him to drive me to San Fran tomorrow to go to a publishers party and he has to have working parts to do that. Yup, I'm going to a party put on by my publisher and I'll get to meet my editor. I'm excited!

July 31, 2008 at 10:27 AM

Post a Comment