Writing A Book Isn't All Fun and Games and Other Tales of Woe  

Posted by Heidi in

I'm having a book published in December (she said, ducking her head in an attempt at modesty) and I, as you can imagine, am thrilled about it. It's great to feel the love, if you know what I mean. It's my first book--I try not to say "my only book" because even though I am sometimes sure there will never be another, I am working on "another" right now. I am about halfway done with it and starting to get excited that maybe one day some editor who is desperate enough to need my work, (or not in her right mind, or too drunk to see) might actually want to publish it. So, Saturday night I was stealing some time away from my family (and other needy causes such as the laundry and the dishes and the overflowing closets--you know, the kind you can't shut the door on because the door can't shut?) to get a few pages in on my newest writing project. (And I feel way guilty about it. Honest.)

I hadn't been in a writing mood, certainly not in a romantic mood (I write Jane Austen style romances) but I was actually producing some pretty decent stuff. Some of it was even inspired. Suddenly, I was in the groove, clipping away at the keyboard with something bordering on confidence and, dare I say, talent, when boom! It happened. My skitzo computer pulled a fast one on me and ditched the entire file. The entire file!!!! Panic-striken, I went through my document files and found a copy--phew! But all that inspired writing of the last hour and a half amounting to nearly three precious pages was lost forever.

I know this is not a tragedy. I know people suffer much greater losses. I've suffered greater losses. I have been poor, infertile, nearly homeless, while I and my family struggle along with physical and mental disabilities (we love you big guy!), including some pretty recent traumatic episodes of illness, gross toilet floods and inexcusable barfings (no one has to eat that much!) (see favorite posts) but I felt pretty darn sorrowful about my three lost pages.

So, again today, I ditched the housework, the spouse took the kids out to the movies and I started in on reconstructing those lost pages. But you know what? I didn't feel like it. I started in on a new scene, a pretty awesome, previously unthought-of scene AND my neighbor knocked on the door with delish gourmet homemade Mexican meal (she rocks!) so I don't even have to cook tonight. My cup runneth o'er. (see www.heidiashworth.com if you want to read more about my book. Or even if you don't. It might, just might begin to heal the wound . . .)

This entry was posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 at Monday, July 21, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Wow, congratulations! You must be so excited. What a huge accomplishment. I'm a huge Jane Austen nerd. HUGE. (I'm totally buying your book.)

Oh, I so know that sick feeling that comes with losing your writing. I used to keep all of my writing on a little flash drive so that I could carry it around from computer to computer, and one day it just died. And I lost EVERYTHING I'd written for the last two years. It was awful. Beyond awful. I felt like someone had died.

Good for you for jumping right back in.

July 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Ooooh, Sue, that is awful! It makes me want to come over with a huge plate of frosted chocolate brownies (as if there was another kind). Only, I don't know where you live and I have a strong suspicion it might be in a different state. I could drive but the brownies would no longer be on the plate, or, er, on the planet, once I arrived. So, sorry, can't help you out. Here's hoping another one of your readers will take pity on you . . . :)

July 22, 2008 at 3:43 PM

I agree with Sue, it would be like someone or something has died. I hate it when I lose a comment that I feel particularly fond of so I don't know if I could handle losing something that I really worked on. However, the up side is, if it flowed once it will flow again. (oh, and the brownies wouldn't hurt either)

July 23, 2008 at 4:16 AM

Oh, I agree with her too! That's why the plate of brownies . . .

July 23, 2008 at 8:47 AM

A clean regency? You have an audience in me, my dear. I've been reading and loving regencies since I was twelve. (For the record, that's nineteen years.)

July 25, 2008 at 8:37 PM

I've only been reading them since I've pregnant with my oldest who is going to be 19 in November, so I think I might have you beat, but barely. Of course, that doesn't count Pride and Prejudice which I read when I was 14 . . .so I was a little late to the regency party . .

July 25, 2008 at 9:23 PM

Math mistake. 29 yrs of regency reads.

July 25, 2008 at 11:29 PM

The amazing thing is that I caught it--math is "so" not my thing!

July 26, 2008 at 9:35 AM

Post a Comment