Borg Attempts Assimilation Then Retreats in a Puff of Smoke  

Posted by Heidi in , ,



I have at least one loyal reader who is a man (that I know of, er, that is, the reader part, not the man part). This means that, Oops!, I made a mistake in my last post (other than the spelling error--yikes!) when I said that I always think of my readers as "she". Well, I do, but I shouldn't because of him. He. The loyal male reader. This darling brother in law of mine has lived in a far off state for far too long. Dear R., have I told you how much I miss your quiet wit (sometimes a little too quiet to catch, but still . . .) your uncommon knowledge (a game of trivial pursuit with this guy is about as futile as attempting to resist borg assimilation) and your abundant restraint in not throwing my ignorance in my face over and over and over again? (I was very young back when he lived close enough to feel regular disdain.)

A post with regards to this man's cutie-patootie sons is long over-due but it requires photos and I am having a little computer problem with regards to said photos, thus the photo-less posts this past week or so. But, never fear, dear reader of the manly persuasion, it will happen, just as soon as I get over my fear that the second I do, you will be gone like a puff of smoke.

This entry was posted on Saturday, August 9, 2008 at Saturday, August 09, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Heidi, I remember asking my mom the same question that the LG asked you - and I hated that she picked my dad first. It was treacherous and definitely unfair. It still seems unfair to me to think of being forced to pick your spouse vs. your child. Like say, if they were drowning and you could only rescue one. I hate thinking about stuff like that. Good thing I don't get asked stuff like that often yet (right now I get it from my siblings at times).

August 9, 2008 at 7:39 PM

I agree, thinking about that kind of thing is the worst! So, I try not to. I do think about the drowning thing, too--I tell myself my spouse can take care of himself but my kids need me. THat helps. :D

August 10, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Heidi, interesting dilemma,
you know what grandpa Baldwin would say? He would let you know that your loyalty is to your spouse. I do understand both sides of the argument but in the long run, children grow up and leave you and then you and the hubby are left sitting there together in the rocking chairs. I hope that my children finally understand my response once they get asked the same question by their children.
Roxanne

August 10, 2008 at 4:59 PM

I agree--except if your children are drowning. I think a parent has an obligation to preserve the next generation. I think that my husband would say, "Forget me, save the kids!" I think it is just the human beings are made. I honestly don't know what I would do in a situation where it was absolutely him or one of them and I do think about it a lot since my oldest will never be "old" enough to save himself. Of course, he would rather be dead so there is that twist to add to the scenario. Kind of a Sophie's Choice dilemma which I hope I will never have to face. Yuck!

August 10, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Hmmmm . . .
Still trying to put these comments
in context with the post. Oh well.

Thanks for the nice thoughts.

August 13, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Whaddya mean? The title in context with the content? If that is what you mean, I totally understand why you are confused. If that isn't what you mean, then I am the one who is confused. As usual.

August 13, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Post a Comment