San Francisco Through the Eyes of a Shutter Bug  

Posted by Heidi in

There are those days when I can’t pick things up without literally missing the object two or three times before making contact, when I can’t zip up my jeans (so why try?), when I am overcome with inexplicable exhaustion, and chocolate becomes not one, not three, but all of the major food groups. I mention this only because I am too darn worn out and chocolate obsessed to write much of a post today, meanwhile my fingers keep missing the keys. (I know, way too much information.) Besides, what is left of my brain is wilting in the 100 degree heat.

Instead, I will regale you (pictorially) with the photos I took of some architectural gems in San Francisco when we were there last week. Please note that every single one of the following photos were taken from the car, sometimes at speeds of . . . well, speeds that were fast. Therefore, a number of these pictures are at (what I like to call) a jaunty angle.


I would happily put this whole window in my living room, that’s how much I love it, complete with the little white railing. We would have to put it where the sofa is since I don’t have a lot of wall space left but I don’t think anyone would really mind . . .

Green and pink houses with white trim and all sorts of architectural treasure. I would love to live across the street from a view like this . .



Close up of the green one with (hopefully) a better view of the stained glass windows. There is something else about this picture that is special—something quite personal. Look carefully . . ..but don’t give it away (should some of you choose to break down and actually comment) because it is private info. Only the ones who know will know.



I don’t really relish the flotsam and jetsam on the side of the road . . . just pretend it isn’t there, will ya?




Love the entrance on this house. Is that what is called a portico? Again, I could live with the columns just taking up space somewhere in my house. Not sure where I would keep my kids, though . . .


See the green bushes to the right side of this house?





Who knew a whole window was hiding in there?







I love this house! This entire street was like living in a completely different city, state, country, even! The pic didn’t turn out as well as I would have liked. Since it was on the wrong side of the street for me to take the shot and we didn’t dare turn around so I could get a good view lest the nearby jogger call the cops on his cell phone, I had to turn the job over to The Spouse. He was kind of in a hurry (due to said jogger).


Love the roof on this house and the way the little witch’s hat (belonging to a good witch, I feel quite sure) over the door brings it all together.



This photo is of the 1903 California Volunteers Memorial located on the corner of Van Ness and Dolores Street. In light of the dead (or so I assume) man under the horse, it kind of begs the questions—what were these volunteers doing? And where can I get volunteers like that? (just kidding. Sort of) Since I took this whilst waiting (interminably) to get merged onto the lane that would take us onto the freeway, I didn’t have a chance to read the monument. I spent at least an hour today trying to identify this statue and have learned some interesting things. For one, there are only about four photos of this statue on the internet (hard to believe, I know!) and mine is quite honestly the best. However, if you go here
www.verlang.com/sfbay_1903_dolores_st_at_market_st_02g.html
you can see a more detailed version.

If you want to see a picture of it in it’s old location at Market right after the 1906 fire, go to

http://content.cdlib.org/dynaxml/data/13030/qw/hb1779n7qw/files/hb1779n7qw-FID4.jpg

Another house with lots of creamy white trim and goodies--I can see I needed to put more contrast into this photo. I am still learning all about my new photoshop program. It's only fair. By now it surely knows all about me.


What can one say about this one? Not sure why I took it--I think it was in the beginning before I knew how many more photo opps I would have.




Pretty Painted Ladies. I should add, here, that we didn't go into the official painted lady neighborhoods and the few we passed were at such speeds that I just couldn't get a clear shot. It made me weep with frustration. (Just kidding.) (Maybe.)




I so could live in this house. I wish I lived in this house. Would my life be better, more cozy, more romantic if I lived in this house? When I drive by a house that makes my chest feel tight and presages the beginnings of what I call "house lust" (I am totally without an ounce of car lust so I am due) I wonder if the house you live in, the neighborhood you live in, based solely on how it looks, where the windows are placed, the view it gives, the light or lack thereof, can it truly alter your life in any essential way? I 'm willing to find out . . . Maybe there is some place where I can sign up for research. Hmmm . . .





Cool trim on a building . . .





More of the same, taken from quite a distance, I might add . . .





The following are for those in a blue mood . . .









This was way more impressive in person. I am still getting to know my photoshop program, yada yada yada ad nauseum.



I thought I would wrap it up with this very cheerful house--ain't it grand?

To see some truly gorgeous photos of San Francisco I found in my wanderings today, click on

http://chicagouncommon.com/travel/san_francisco/

Maybe tomorrow I will feel better. Poor you!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at Wednesday, August 27, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Beautiful pics Heidi!

August 27, 2008 at 4:36 PM

Was that first blue house picture taken on Guerrero Street? I think I recognized the house. My boss used to live on Guerrero and that house looks like one I used to love on her street!

August 28, 2008 at 12:53 AM

I have no idea--sorry! We were zipping around so fast. All I can tell you for sure is that I took the pic of the first blue house as we went through town to the freeway.

August 28, 2008 at 6:58 AM

Well, they say, third times a charm. I've tried three times to post this comment.
I love your blog. We have a lot in common. I just spent the last three hours reading all your blogs. Found you on Country Doctors wife and found her on Pioneer Woman.
I think you and I were separated at birth. I was born and raised in Colorado Springs. I LOVE dolls. I love anything having to do with the "art of taking tea"
I have many health issues including fybromyalgia and hypo-thyroidism.
Needless to say, I'll be back.
Miss Lila in Atlanta

August 28, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Miss Lila! I already have a twin sister, but maybe we could be a threesome. You made my day!

August 28, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Post a Comment