School Year Versus Summer Vacation--What's Your Cup of Tea?  

Posted by Heidi in , ,

My "First Prize" dark pink ,velvety soft roses, one of the many joys of summer . . .

This is the time of year I start to sink into a deep depression. Since it always hits about a week or so before the kids go back to school, I have a strong suspicion it has something to do with the end of summer vacation. Yet, let’s be honest, there is something really great about the kids being entertained, educated and restrained by someone other than myself. I have reason to believe other mothers out there feel the same.


Since I don't have a pic of me looking sad (everyone always says "smile!") here's this one of the Little Guy.


So, why the grief?

Could it be that I will miss my little darlings?

Hello?! Is this the same mother who sent the Middle Child off on three separate solo adventures this summer just to have a breather from all the drama? The one who hides in her bedroom after dinner until the kids drop in place like so many spent flower petals all over the house?





Once school starts, I will have more alone-time to bask in my flower bower but it won't be long before the sun don't shine . . .


I have to admit, the lack of a need for a hard and fast bedtime is one of the best things about summer vacation. In fact, the lack of a hard and fast schedule for almost every day of the week is just this side of heaven. At the same time, I am much more productive, and as a direct result, happier, when there is a set schedule to follow.





More First Prize roses--in spite of my herculean efforts, this rose bush died this summer. I'm sad about that, too.


Except on those mornings when I don’t sleep well and I can’t sleep in and I have to make lunches and run around in the car and grocery shop and pick up kids when all I want to do is lie on the couch with a good book (which, if placed just so, is a great way to keep the drool off the sofa cushions).


Feeling dazed, confused, disoriented, sad and plain old "out of one's element" runs in the family.


As usual, I am conflicted. Confused. Disoriented. It’s okay, don’t send flowers, this is my usual state of being.

So, assuming you are in a similar boat as mine, a stay at home mom with school age kids: which do you prefer? The kids at school or summer vacation?

And, for those of you who have to go off to work during the day, what does the end of summer vacation mean to you?

And those of you who don’t have school age kids, do you have a preference?

Come on, I’m not picky, you don’t even have to be a mom (or even a woman)—is going to work a major pain when the weather is fine or would you rather take time off?



This entry was posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 at Monday, August 18, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I love school starting. I think it is nice when the neighborhood gets a little quieter during the day. All my kids are grown but I remember the relief I felt when the energy in the house would decrease dramatically with the beginning of school. I however, hate homework. I graduated from high school and yet I found myself not only reliving the nightmare of homework, I had to constantly and vigilantly be the homework police. Talk about draining. Well that is my perspective, it is good to have that behind me for now.
Roxanne

August 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Yep, homework is one of those things I am seriously not looking forward to . . .

August 18, 2008 at 6:41 PM

Post a Comment