Blog Stalking, An Olympic Event  

Posted by Heidi in , , ,


As I navigate around the blogosphere, I keep seeing this term: blog stalker. Or maybe blog lurker, or even stlurker which I can only assume is a hybrid of the two (which would be a pretty big assumption since I made it up). What I am trying to say is this: folks seem to fear this lurking stalker. Or stalking lurker. They write about it in their blogs. “My sitemeter stats say someone is reading everything I ever wrote and hanging around and looking at my stats and it creeps me out.” Or they fear to be seen as one, something I glean from post comments such as these: “I don’t mean to stalk you, but I just had to comment on your post.” Then there are the ones who are self-professed “blog stalkers” who blog about it like they should belong to a group akin to Alcoholics Anonymous.

What’s up with that? I don’t get it. Isn’t this what all bloggers want? To be stalked? To be read? To have people comment? Should anyone fear to comment on my blog because they are a stranger, I say, bring it on! If someone were to appear to be reading everything I wrote, wait, when people appear to be reading everything I wrote, well, let’s just say, I could live on that kind of glee for a week (and have). Wanna look at my stats—go ahead! It isn’t like you want to look in my kitchen cupboards or sock drawer or anything gross like that.

Bloggers everywhere: I have news for you. We are on the internet! Everything we do or say or post is out there for the world to see. So, if you don’t want people to see it, don’t post it. As for myself, it’s all just hanging out.


Gross, I know.

This entry was posted on Sunday, September 7, 2008 at Sunday, September 07, 2008 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

12 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Yes! When you put anything on the internet, it's out there people. If people don't want that, go private. As for the commenters...comment away.

September 7, 2008 at 9:23 PM
Anonymous  

Okay, I give up...you caught me. Except I wasn't stalking. This was simply the first time I happened across your blog, and I found myself casually perusing your post, not digging for hidden meanings or private information. Wouldn't it be great if EVERYBODY commented on EVERY BLOG they came across? Don't we all have something to say? Like, CONGRATULATIONS ON WRITING A BOOK AND GETTING IT PUBLISHED? That's an amazing feat! Number 352 in my bucket list! What's your secret? Or is that for stalkers only?!
;-)

September 7, 2008 at 11:16 PM

amen and amen.

stalk away i say.

everyone one knows all a blogger wants is to be validated.

September 7, 2008 at 11:57 PM

Absolutely. I just always wonder how people find it. But in a good way.

September 8, 2008 at 6:12 AM

I thought blog stalking was the category for those who looked and read, but never commented. But that was just an assumption I made.

You book sounds like a great read.

September 8, 2008 at 7:40 AM

Becky, thanks for the comment on my book. THanks for explaining what a blog stalker is. For the life of me, I just couldn't figure it out. There was a lot of confusion. Mostly on my end. As usual. So, yes, stalk my blog, please, but if you can bring yourself to comment, please do that too. soyandrue--you are the only one who commented on my post with my excerpt. You are now my best friend. Email me at write2me@heidiashworth.com and I will tell you all my publishing secrets. Sharon, I so agree--I wanna know! I need to know how they found me because whatever it was I did to faciliate that--I wanna do it again. Find me! Please! Jenny--I can always count on a well thought out intelligent reply from you. Jaime--of course! Validation! How can one be validated when the silence is long and deep. Sad. Thanks for your comment.

September 8, 2008 at 8:06 AM

Well said. I just came across your blog today from the lds list of bloggers. I had to comment! Very nice!

September 8, 2008 at 8:44 AM

You're hilarious.

When people say all this stuff about stalkers and lurkers, it really is just simply a way of saying "I'm going crazy not knowing where you are or who you are and I DO need to know but I don't know why except that I'm just really really curious."
At least that's what it is for me. :)

September 8, 2008 at 1:25 PM

So that's it! Because I get really curious, too. That's when I write posts like Who are you who I don't know and live in a city from which no one I know has ever lived but you are here every day. What's the attraction? Cause, I really want to hear it--it would be good for my morale. :)

September 8, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Hey, speaking of stalking (or not) thanks for your comment on my post at the Annex today. You are a kick! Glad I found you. And your novel sounds great. I love the title and the description.

See? There I go...poking around in all the corners once I hit your site.

Well, mine's all out in the open too. Feel free to stop by any time!

September 8, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Charette, your story was so great! You should write a romance novel and base it on your true life! Everyone, go and read Charette's story on Bloggers Annex (the kiss that stopped traffic). Use the link to bloggers annex in my favorite links roll--the banner doesn't link for some reason. Then check out Charette's site! Thanks for your comments, Charette!

September 8, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Came over via BloggersAnnex and your terrific post. Just want to tell you that I love your photography...thanks for sharing your gift.

September 12, 2008 at 6:39 PM

Post a Comment