How to Eat and Still Lose Weight (sorta kinda)  

Posted by Heidi in , ,


I’m trying to diet. I’m going to be 44 in a few weeks, I have given birth to three kids and I am overweight! Amazing! I know! I don’t have to lose a lot so I am taking it slowly. I figure if I have enough treats throughout the day, I am more likely to stick to a lower-than-my-usual calorie diet, resulting in Results! And I will be happy . . .(a delusion I stick with for now. It helps. So does chocolate).

In this pursuit, however, I have noticed something that seems contradictory to all I have heard/learned about dieting. When I eat enough, even a lot, on any given day, I am not too hungry the next, making it easier, oh, so much easier, to diet. Who knew? I mean, really! Eating? The weight loss secret of the universe? I think I have something here . . .

So, in continued pursuit of lack of hunger (which, naturally, leads to less eating which, as we all know, leads to weight loss) I am going to share with you something so utterly filling and delicious, you will wish to fore-go eating for at least a few hours. Amazing! I know!

The Best Chocolate Milkshake. Ever.
Buy one half gallon of your favorite chocolate ice cream. You will also need a cup of your favorite vanilla ice cream, a tub of whipped topping (or you can whip your own cream but it has to be very stiff and creamy), chocolate sauce and milk.

Put almost all of the ½ gallon chocolate ice cream and the one cup of the vanilla into a large mixing bowl (I suppose if you are a milkshake snob and have your own milkshake machine, you can use those or whatever it is you use to make them—I use a mixing bowl and a hand mixer)—reserve the last cup or so of the chocolate ice cream as a snack before bed. You’ll thank yourself later. Save the rest of the vanilla for ice cream cones for the kids another day. They’ll thank you later, too. Pour on some milk and chocolate sauce. Don’t over-do it, you can always add more.

Then let it melt a bit so that it is possible to actually mix it together, unless you have the afore-said shake maker in which case, go for it.

Then, add about 4 ounces of the whipped topping (you might want to try putting it in the freezer for about ten minutes to make it nice and stiff). Mix it in. Perhaps I should say, fold it in. You don’t want to break it down too much, you just want it to be sufficiently integrated. At this point, taste your creation. If it needs more chocolate sauce, by all means, add it—heaven forbid I should stand in the way of your dietary needs.
Also, if it needs to be thinned out, in other words, if it is too thick to slip up your straw, add some milk. Mix it all together, use a measuring cup or gravy ladle to get it into your glass (actually, 4-6 glasses, depending on how big said glasses are) so that most of it ends up in the glass and not down the sides (down-the-sides happens), put in a perky straw and you are good to go.

This concoction gives the shake the chocolate I crave but with that bit of vanilla that makes it sing. The whipped topping gives it the right texture, thick but not so thick it won’t go through the straw. Mostly, it curbs my Jack in the Box shake craving for about half the money (but, ah me, every single one the calories!) If you make one, let me know what you think. You can thank me later.

This entry was posted on Monday, September 8, 2008 at Monday, September 08, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

11 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Looks divine. My favorite are the Carl's Jr shakes. ummmm so good. I'll have to try this out with my kiddos, cause now that we live by EVERYHING they always want a shake!

September 8, 2008 at 10:46 PM

These are way better than Carl's Jr (I checked) but I also think Jack in the Box is better than Carl's Jr shakes, too. Or maybe it was just a bad day at Carl's. I had one at Hardee's in Nauvoo(ish) which was really good and they are supposed to be the same as Carl's.

September 9, 2008 at 7:20 AM

I am a CJ's shake fan also. I can't wait to try these. I am overweight too. I always joke and say how slim fast is wonderful with a scoop of ice cream in it.

September 9, 2008 at 8:33 AM

Umm, that does sound good! Too good!

September 9, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Jack in the Box does have good shakes but this one sounds fabulous too. Have you ever tried adding peanut butter to it? I mean hey if you add peanut butter then it's a legitimate meal right?

September 9, 2008 at 10:17 AM

You know, I would have to agree with that assessment. Think of the protein! Hey, I'm gonna be rich! Somebody get me an agent (or whomever handles diet sensations!)

September 9, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Oprah here you come!

September 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM

My stomach is growing, I mean growling just thinking about shakes right now.

Asher. Yes, my lovely Asher. I guess the name is gaining popularity now. Of course that's what happens when I think I'm being all unique.

The name is biblical - one of the twelve tribes in the old testament. Which I didn't really know until I started liking and researching the name. And then I was all HOW did I not remember that name? Because it's so cool. So cool that authors would name characters Asher. that's how cool :)

September 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Now I am embarrassed because, of course, Asher is the name of one of the 12 tribes of Israel. Yikes! (BTW, this comment thread started on Heather's blog . . .)

September 9, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Thanks for popping by my blog. Thought I'd returnt he favor. Your shake recipe sounds absolutely divine. A must try. Happy bloggin'!

September 9, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Oh YUM!! The only thing I would change about this would be to add some malt powder. YUM!! (I actually just posted about my love of chocolate malts!) I really really love your post on Bloggers Annex, and I will be coming back here to visit you! I'm going to find out more about your upcoming book. Awesome!

September 11, 2008 at 1:08 AM

Post a Comment