Could Somebody Please Just Tell Me What Time It Is  

Posted by Heidi in

This morning, whilst exploring the blogosphere, I lost forty minutes in the blink of an eye and gained, according to my scale, three pounds in the interim. This hardly seems fair. Yet, there are greater things at risk, things that make me question the wisdom of my bloggy choices. The orange ring in the toilet is gone but you don’t even want to know the state of the toilet reserved for the Big Guy’s personal use. The house-cleaning adrenaline rush I experienced a few days ago looks to have never happened (which is one reason why it doesn’t happen too often because, let’s face it, what’s the gol-darn point?) plus there are no clean towels in the house, a fact about which I can hardly bring myself to care.

Then something happened that made me question “things” even more. My publisher forwarded a review of my book which was so not negative (it’s hard to find one that doesn’t have something bad to say and this had not one!) and plenty positive to boot that I spent about an hour doing a happy dance and emailing family and friends. Then I took a nap because I was exhausted but mostly because the Middle Child needed the computer for her homework (she is so demanding!).

After a decent interval, the Little Guy woke me up because he needed help with something, so naturally I suddenly started to worry that he wasn’t getting enough attention. I dragged him up onto the bed, twisting him one way so as not to mess up the pile of clothes waiting to be folded, then twisted him the other way to spare him getting bruised by the pile of books and papers tossed to the other side, took him in my arms and asked him lots of insecure needy mom questions. I’ll have you know, he passed with flying colors. Still, I knew I hadn’t yet brought out the big guns. That’s when I asked, “Little Guy, what’s the most important thing you could ever do in this life?”

I waited for his answer with bated breath. I had no idea what he would say, no idea what I would say, in any “for sure” definitive way if someone had asked me the same question that same minute, so I assured him there was lots of right answers and that I just wanted to hear his.


“Okay,” he said, “in that case, my answer is that I should serve Jesus and love my family all my life!”

“Really? Where did you learn that?” I wondered aloud in my Insecure Mommy way.

You taught me that, silly!”

“I did? Are you sure?” And then I did another happy dance because it seems that quite possibly, to some small and narrow degree, my job here is done.

Except that then, I had to make dinner, my most detested domestic duty on the list titled “Things my husband still expects me to do on a fairly regular basis”.

P.S. While I was posting this, dinner burned. Please note, I did not say "I burned dinner". It burned all by itself with no help from me whatsoever. I went to wake my napping husband with the news. He just looked at me with bleary eyes and said the only thing he could, "I love you, Heidi". The man's a gem.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at Wednesday, September 24, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

11 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Cute glimpse into your life :) Very sweet! And I am glad to know I am not the only one who uses my bed to pile things on... like laundry. Your Little Guy sure gave the right answer! Awesome successes!

September 24, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Yep, let's just hope it sticks!

September 24, 2008 at 9:51 PM

No offense, Heidi, but you really should so be a Dood. You just described my typical Saturday to a freekin' tee.

There are a few other differences as well, I suppose. For one thing, I never allow to dinner burn (I'm the bomb-diggedy on the grill)...

And I also don't have a publisher who whispers sweet nothings in my ear...(not that I'm JEALOUS or anything)...

But for SURE, I never see orange rings in the loo (but then I'm colorblind, don't cha know).

No I'm just a typical American male with no remorse...

Err, eh, excuse me...gotta go now. My wife is headed straight for me, wielding a frying pan in a most menacing fashion...

Loved the post, BTW... :)

September 24, 2008 at 10:09 PM

I know! I know! I keep telling my husband that he should be the Domestic God and I should be, well, something else . . .you so totally crack me up, AJ!

September 25, 2008 at 7:22 AM

wow, Capt. Awesome has a toilet for his personal use too. I thought that was just him.

Dinner burns without any help from me at my house too. I'm going to start making the kids do the cooking.

September 25, 2008 at 9:25 AM

What a sweet little Peter! And how nice of Roy. I am not, in fact, making dinner tonight because we have leftovers and I am trying to be better about not wasting. Turns out, it saves a lot of grocery money when we eat our leftovers instead of throwing them out. :)

September 25, 2008 at 9:32 AM

NR--wow, I don't suppose you could spill your secrets, eh? I suppose that is what your blog is for. Count me in! Jessica, you sweetie-pie! I never have leftovers. Really! Except on the Little Guy's plate but most of the time the Big Guy will take care of that. Tho, I have to say, even before the Big Guy was big enough to eat what we didn't, I only made enough for one meal. Growing up, the frig was always full of bowls of left-overs and I just hated it! For the same reason, my older sister went immediately to disposable diapers the second they came out--they had opened way too many toilet lids to discover a nasty surprise. But I'm glad you aren't having to cook. :)

September 25, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Ok the burned dinner comment is priceless. I'll take that coping tip if I ever actually make a dinner. Plus Little Guy's response...priceless. Of course I fear if I asked my little one his response would be "to build all the legos in the world." Of course if he respondes in that fashion then I KNOW I had nothing to do with it!

September 25, 2008 at 12:57 PM

LOL! I have to say, it's hard to decide which piece of my day was better, the review or Little Guy's comments. Of course I have to acknowledge the fact that he is just a little operator in the making. He sure seems sincere but you never know!

September 25, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Great post, my dinner has burned on more then one occasion but it is because I know only two temps, High and off.
Roxanne

September 25, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Oh, man, I just totally forgot about it! I mean, totally and completely--like my chiropractor appointment the day before that and some important things that I had to do today--but remembered just in time! My brain . . .it is disintegrating!

September 25, 2008 at 9:19 PM

Post a Comment