Let Her Eat Cake! or It's My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To (what with all the cake I'll be eating and all)  

Posted by Heidi in


Tomorrow I will be exactly one year older than I am today and I’m okay with that. Really! I am! As long as I don’t wake up looking one year older. Too despicable to contemplate, by half! Actually, I am kind of looking forward to living life as a 44 year old being as 4 is one of my favorite numbers (I can’t have just one—it is empirically impossible) and has been since I was, erm, four, I believe (what can I say? It was a good year). I figure two fours have got to be better than one and being as four was so much fun, forty-four ought to be an absolute riot.

Then again, I could just be fooling myself. I could be about to sink into a pit of aged despair. I could be simply keeping a stiff upper lip, a feat that gets physically more difficult with each passing year. I could be lying through my teeth (what’s left of ‘em), pretending that I don’t care that I am way past the prime of my life and whizzing on towards the last few good years I have left only to hurtle into old age and eventual death.

Anyone depressed yet?

Me too!

So, cheer me up, you regular readers, you! Put your pretty (or not—just thinking of you fellas out there) faces on this blog. It’s fun, it’s easy and you don’t even have to have your own blog to do it (you don’t have to include your picture either if you don’t want to –you could be a whale or a shoe or a rott weiler ) but by doing it you could quite possibly save me from wallowing in the pond of desolation (I think that’s a Pilgrim’s Progress quote but don’t quote me on that because I am too lazy to look it up what with this getting-older-every-second thing I’ve got going) and give me a birthday howdy by following this blog.

(Does that sound too desperate? I think maybe it sounds too desperate. Am I desperate? I think that probably I am.) (Yeah, that would explain the lame, desperate plea.) (And all.)

Oh! And tell your friends!

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, happy birthday dear me-eeee, and my twin sister, too!

This entry was posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 at Friday, September 26, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

20 wise, witty and wonderful comments

One year older and wiser too...Happy birthday to you!!!

Have a great birthday!

September 26, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Thanks Karolynn! I even got a song! yay!

September 26, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Well...if it makes you feel any better, I've already got you beat by a year! Yes, somehow I lived through 44. And you will too. The truth? Is that every year is still better than the last. I threw a big over-the-hill party at 40 (LITERALLY went over the hill, too, and dragged my friends with me -- we went hiking!) But I still haven't encountered the down hill slope. (Especially not on the bathroom scale!)

Happy birthday tomorrow!
I hope you find a big wad of cash in one of your pockets, your house magically cleans itself, your children are angels, and you encounter an endless stream of green lights.

September 26, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Wow, Charrette--just think what you would give me if I were one of your real friends--such a generous gal! Thanks and hugs! (The string of green lights is possible--I'll keep you posted!)

Rott Weiler--you are the best brother in law ever!

September 26, 2008 at 1:00 PM

Hey, I am 44 and love it! You don't have to apologize as often (not necessarily because you make fewer mistakes, just because you are crotchety) and you get to test that theory about women in their forties looking more at ease with themselves and their lives. Let it shine, girl!

September 26, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Happy Birthday!!!
My picture is already over there so get off my back! :)

September 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Kazzy--I can't wait to look all shiny and glowy like you!

Heather--yes, your pretty face has been here for awhile. It doesn't hurt does it?

September 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Happy Birthday cha cha cha (as a certain first grader I know likes to say!)

September 26, 2008 at 5:56 PM

Oh, I'm glad I dropped by so now I know it's Holly's birthday tomorrow. Mine is the day after (Sunday). And you got me started on the desolation just as I thought forty-something isn't so bad. Thanks a lot Heidi!

September 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM

Marivic--you are so welcome! Misery loves company.

Jen--thank you! cha cha cha!

September 26, 2008 at 8:35 PM

Ptttfff — Rookie.

May the Bluebird of happiness fly over your Birthday Cake —

and MISS.

:)

Happy B-Day Heidi! Enjoy your day tomorrow. It's aaaall downhill from here!

(jk!)

September 26, 2008 at 8:52 PM

AJ, no bird, blue/happiness or otherwise is going to get a chance at my cake--it will be gone so fast, the feathers will be flying. And don't I know it about the downhill stuff! sniff!

September 26, 2008 at 9:05 PM

Oh puhlease! I can't listen to this another minute. Time only gets better with every passing year. I don't know if it is because we can feel time slipping away and therefore value it more or we just realize what is really important but my forties were great and so far my 50's have been nothing short of fabulous. I wouldn't trade them for anything. We can actually go places without a babysitter needing to be found and people do start looking at you with a little more tolerance when you get all giddy at Disneyland. You just have the best day ever because it is the start of something GRAND! Happy Birthday Cuz!
Roxanne

September 27, 2008 at 1:15 AM

Thank you Roxanne--and I'm holding you to it! I'll know who to complain to if things just don't get better and better. Yay!

September 27, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Happy Birthday! Get all of those candles blown out and then lie down for a rest! Woo Hoo for 40-somethings!

September 27, 2008 at 10:39 AM

Thanks Kazzy--I think I will have to skip the candles--I'll need my strength for lifting that fork!

September 27, 2008 at 10:54 AM

4 is my favorite number!!

I'm forty and one.

Happy Birthday!

September 27, 2008 at 4:23 PM

b.--thanks! Ever so!

September 28, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Happy Birthday! You make 40s look good!

September 29, 2008 at 7:48 PM

Garsh! Thank you NR!

September 30, 2008 at 6:48 PM

Post a Comment