I Have Been Accepted By BlogHer  

Posted by Heidi in


Which begs the question, should I sign the contract or not? I thought I would have more time to think about it; it was supposed to take longer for them to decide to take me on. I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. If they took me so fast does that mean they will take a mere anyone? Or does it mean they think I have something to offer? I dunno. It does put me on the horns of a potential dilemma, however. I figured I would never be accepted before Nov 4th. What if they want to put ads in my blog that goes against my political leanings (I don’t have too many convictions, mostly mere leanings—I’m politically aloof. Because I’m too busy blogging to really study (most of—check back tomorrow) the issues).
The good thing is that it might mean a soupcon of money (a soupcon traditionally being slightly more than a sharp stick in the eye) for me which I could then use to pay for some kind of advertising which would in turn (possibly) bring more readers and (possibly) expose more people to Miss D, as she is the one who really runs the show around here. I am a mere puppet, a shadow-leader, if you will.

So, your opinions please—do you hate blogs with ads in it? Blog readers, blog writers, those with BlogHer, those without BlogHer, those who wish they had it, those who wish they didn’t, those who love it, those who hate it, I want to hear it all!

Please leave your muchly desired wisdom filled comments in the usual place.

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 at Saturday, October 18, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

18 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I like the look of a blog without the ads, personally--although there are some I read regularly that have ads on them. I don't know much about BlogHer, but I would take it as a compliment to be accepted by them--you have a fun blog to read and are a great writer.

October 18, 2008 at 11:00 AM

I switched to a three column template with the sidebars both on the right hand side so I could have the ads in the far right sidebar and hopefully not too distracting from my posts.

So far my ads have included:
Prego
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Kraft Singles
Music Download Site
Online Games Site
Breast Cancer Awareness
Read to Your Kids
And a few others that obviously didn't make much of an impression.

Nothing even remotely political thus far.

BlogHer ads base their acceptance of people on whether they think they have enough traffic for it to be worth their while, and if your blog posts are clean and not offensive, and I believe (but am not sure) that they read a few posts to look for quality as well.

October 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM

Go for it! Shake things up a bit at Dunhaven and give it a try.

October 18, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Thanks Ladies! I hope no one will take it personally if I decided against the wishes of one or the other--I do think that switching to three columns might be essential . ..

October 18, 2008 at 11:54 AM

I don't have ad space on my site, but I do definitely do paid posting. They just blend into my regular posts. I won't just accept anything though. I only write about something that blends well in the site. I have been offered to write about gambling sites or singles chat places, and I won't take things like that. I think it is easy enough to just accept items that would be in your character. Besides, it is really nice supplemental income.

October 18, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Obviously I'm fine with ads, since I have them. I considered it a compliment when it happened quickly, but maybe it's that way for everyone :) I don't think they take EVERY blogger though, that would be impossible. When they started doing political ads, they sent an email asking permission. Or for you to contact them if you DON'T want them. If I'm remembering that right?

The only political one on mine so far had all candidates on it, not just one party or the other.

I don't think ads are all that distracting. I figure if you love to write, why not make some pennies for your time? I've rarely heard of people being offended by it.

Sorry this is so long :)

October 18, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Christine and Heather, thank you so much for your input--I really appreciate it and don't worry about it being long--no problem here whatsoever!

October 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I'm good with ads. They're on my email and my homepage and my magazines and my roads and basically they are just a part of life. If I like people's blogs I click just so they make some money off of my visit. :)

October 18, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Jami, all I can say is I am glad you're my friend. : )

October 18, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Oh the ads. I don't have a problem with them. I don't really understand why people do. I agree with Heather about them.

I don't want them on my blog just yet. I am pretty minimalist and 3 columns will probably never be for me. Same with the ads. Unless I could get rich off them, but my traffic is so low it's not even worth thinking about!

October 18, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Lisa, are you kidding?! Based on the number of comments you get, your traffic is a lot greater than mine. I, for one, stand to make about .25 cents per month, only I doubt they bother cutting a check for less than $10 per month. So, here's to making no money! Woo hoo!

October 18, 2008 at 2:57 PM

I've been thinking about applying too. So, no I don't mind them at all, and sometimes I even click on the ads.

October 18, 2008 at 6:44 PM

I've had the same dilemma and I haven't made any decisions. I'm so indecisive.

I'm not offended by ads on blogs though.

October 18, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Mary and Alyson, thanks so much! (and thanks for following my blog, A!)

October 18, 2008 at 7:30 PM

Go for it girl, why not make a few pennies and enjoy the good life. Even if you only make enough to support your chocolate candy thingys, it would be worth it.
Roxanne

October 18, 2008 at 8:21 PM

No doubt, Roxanne, those chocolate candy thingys are expensive!

October 18, 2008 at 8:28 PM

I am SO excited for you! I can't believe I didn't read this post until now! Most of the ads I've seen on BlogHer have been pretty neutral and not anything that I think your readers would take offense. I don't like blogs with a ton of flashing banner ads but most of the BlogHer ads I've seen are pretty unobtrusive.

Congrats agaiN!

October 18, 2008 at 10:34 PM

Thanks Jen! I figured you would be happy but I didn't want to email you about it over the weekend--I would much rather bug you at work. ha ha!

October 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM

Post a Comment