Serious Sunday #3--My Thoughts on Prop 8  

Posted by Heidi in


I have a dearly loved son who suffers from many differences, such as physical, mental and learning disabilities. As a result, there have been times when he has been treated poorly by strangers, friends, extended family and even his brother and sister and, (gulp) me. When someone’s differences are not relatable, it can be like walking the razor’s edge to always and forever act with patience, compassion and tolerance. I understand this. Yet, it still breaks my heart when he suffers yet another blow from some thoughtless person or, worse yet, someone closer to him who should really know better. Because of this, I have compassion for all who feel different, mistreated or discriminated against, regardless of the reason why.

In spite of this, I am wholly for Proposition 8 as a means to prevent the removing of rights from all Californians in order to serve the rights of a minority. Anyone who takes the time to research this situation will find that the evidence points towards loss of religious freedom for churches, religious run adoption agencies, parents as to how, what, when and where they will teach their children, doctors, (even wedding photographers!) if Prop 8 does not pass. Churches will not be allowed to align their religious doctrines with their actions; clergy will be forced to marry same sex couples and adoption agencies, even those run by religious institutions, will have no choice but to adopt to same sex couples or lose their licenses or tax-exempt status. All of these things are happening in America today.

The question that begs an answer is, why don’t people just go to another doctor, another priest, another adoption agency (another wedding photographer!) that happily and willingly serve the needs of people with same sex attraction? Instead, there are those who want to force everyone in California to align their actions with the needs of a minority in ways that aren’t always needful and appropriate. Meanwhile, litigation will abound and lawyers will laugh all the way to the bank. Some of those lawyers will be paid by the state and that will be money out of everyone’s pocket.

I do not have the answer to this problem of discrimination of people with differences. People should not be mistreated because they choose differently. However, we should all be free to choose. This is the true and abiding precept upon which our nation was based. This is why my ancestors sailed to America on the Mayflower—for religious freedom. We just can’t give that away. That is why we need Prop. 8.

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 at Saturday, October 18, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

17 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I really didn't know the depth of Proposition 8.
I'm an ignorant mess.

October 18, 2008 at 7:58 PM

Heidi, all you say is true. It doesn't matter how much you want the truth to change, truth is constant and all the petitions in the world cannot change that.
Roxanne

October 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM

Thanks for being willing to speak out on an important issue. Arizona is also currently trying to pass a similar amendment to its constitution. It is important to speak up now.

October 18, 2008 at 8:25 PM

Thank you for your clear and gentle support of this important issue. I was browsing the blog search engine for posts relating to Proposition 8, which was how I stumbled on your blog. In the midst of some very hateful and derogatory diatribes opposing the proposition, it was refreshing to read your lovely defense.

To read a wonderful article about this topic, please visit: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-divine-institution-of-marriage

October 18, 2008 at 8:59 PM

Thanks you four, for the positive feedback to bolster me for what's to come. I have some friends who have blogged about this and been creamed so your encouragement is most especially appreciated.

October 18, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Your comments about choice are really heart-felt and I can feel your passion in this post. Thanks for laying it out there.

October 18, 2008 at 10:03 PM

As someone who is against Prop 8 (but knows, loves and respects some people that are for Prop 8) I think your post is refreshing. I have read posts and seen many people get into hate-filled arguments defending Prop 8 (and I know there are some that have hate filled arguments opposing Prop 8). It's such an emotional issue on both sides that I think it's great to see people who are full of love voice their opinion to help people understand opposite points of view.

So as a No on Prop 8 supporter I want to say kudos to you for having your say but saying it with compassion. More discussions like this should happen between people on both sides. I doubt people will jump to the other side from another but at least it would create a healthy dialogue (instead of venom on both sides).

October 18, 2008 at 10:57 PM

A kind and loving post. I hope it all works out.

October 18, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Great post Heidi. I am so glad we are uniting together in cyberspace. What a great tool to give us "little" people a voice.

October 19, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Thanks Kazzy, Jen, Jami and April! It's almost 4 PM and this is the first chance I have had to check my blog since last night and I am kind of surprised that I don't have any people giving me grief as I have seen on so many other blogs but I guess I just got lucky. I can't tell you how long this post has been in the works and how it has been stressing me out! It really is a tough issue, that's for sure. Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate each and every single one of you!

October 19, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Thanks for posting Heidi. I really appreciated your perspective on this. I think that testimonial posts are better received than the cut and paste versions. Is it ok if I link to this?

October 19, 2008 at 6:15 PM

No problem Janelle, I would be honored.

October 19, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Please let it pass!! There's an excellent video on you tube put out by the church about this. (I just tried to describe the video but it's late over here and I can't focus so I erased it.)

Thanks for this post!

October 20, 2008 at 12:51 PM

Thanks Lisa! (now go get some sleep!) I think I have seen it but I will double check.

October 20, 2008 at 1:01 PM

Thanks for kindly taking a stand for what you know it right and not being afraid to express it. I'm very proud of you.

October 21, 2008 at 8:30 PM

Thanks Deedee!

October 22, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Well said! I couldn't agree with you more. I tried to leave a comment on this post a couple days ago, but my computer was being freaky and wouldn't cooperate. I was saying something extremely profound, but now I can't remember what it was. But nice post!

October 27, 2008 at 9:29 PM

Post a Comment