In Which Kind Words Are Said of Miss Delacourt and the Middle Child Escapes a Beating  

Posted by Heidi in


The Middle Child has been having trouble with her long, pin-straight hair. She has been threatening to shave it off and wear wigs and I have been considering weilding the shaver myself. I have tried to help her learn to take care of it so that it resembles something attractive rather than the tail of an animal fronted by some bald man's comb-over adorning her forehead. I have tried to tell her that using copious amounts of conditioner and hairspray makes her hair look dirtier when she gets out of the shower than when she gets in and that it only adds to the overall debacle on her head. Being that she is nearly fourteen, I know not of what I speak. I am merely the older, more experienced, not to mention ONLY other female in the house. But what do I know?
This morning, after paying good money for a cut (and a badly needed shampoo) she refused to allow me to help her properly blow dry her hair so that the cut would show off her cute face to advantage. Part of me wanted to give her a rap on the head but she was saved by the fact that I am on a super duper high today.
Why, might you ask, dear reader, am I in such a state of euphoric restraint? Because I got a review on Miss Delacourt this morning which pretty much will feed my ego, er, validate my feelings about my craft for at least the next twenty four hours (after that, the Middle Child had better watch herself).
To read this lovely review please click on the following link and scroll down until you come to my name, which is, in case you missed it, Heidi Ashworth. That's Ash, as in ash tree and worth as in, high in value (I guess Ash trees were worth a lot of moola back in the day . . . .) Thank you ever so! P.S. I was especially tickled by the fact that a review of a re-released book by Norah Lofts, one of my favorite authors, wasn't as good as mine.
Okay, now I'm gloating.

This entry was posted on Monday, October 6, 2008 at Monday, October 06, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

21 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Dashing rogue and fiery heroine!

Foolish need for drama!

Absurd extremes!

My kind of story!

***** (5 barks!)

October 6, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Just read the review. So so cool! I am excited to read the real thing when it comes out in 2 mo, 4 wks, and 4 days! Congrats, and good luck to middle child tomorrow :)

October 6, 2008 at 10:50 AM

I feel her pain. I too am a straight haired middle child. One day I took the clippers to my hair, tell her it's not worth it!

October 6, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Rott Weiler--have I told you lately how much I love you? (I don't believe you but I love you.) Kazzy--you are simply the best eater of pears on earth, Mary--I will be sure to tell her! She went through something similar when she was three and cried all the way home from the hair salon but she doesn't remember that. Nor does she believe me. Cause, who am I but her mom? Maybe she will believe you.

October 6, 2008 at 11:05 AM

Whew! Saved by the review!

Congratulations another good review. I'm sure you'll be getting plenty more. Remember me when you are rich and famous. Base a fine and noble character on me. And sign my copy of your book.

October 6, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Yea for you! I'm glad you had a top of the world kind of review!

And to put icing on the cake for you, I just love your spooky header thing you've got going on.

You're lovely,
Heather

October 6, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Jami, my first objective reader of my book, for you, anything! Heather, thank you so much--the header is kinda cute, huh?

October 6, 2008 at 12:31 PM

My My Miss Ashworth, it is enough to give one the vapors!
That is totally and ridiculously awesome. You are on such a high as you should be. 24 hours pish-posh take 48 and several of those chocolate thingys that are so your favorite indulgence.
Congrats all over the place
Roxanne

October 6, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Chocolate thingies taken, Roxanne, tho one would think I shouldn't need them--I'm high enough just now!

October 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM

Ok you deserve another week of fun filled wheat eating! This is a fabulous review. Is this the review they'll have on Amazon.com? Congratulations!

October 6, 2008 at 2:50 PM

Thanks Jen! So far I have one day of no wheat under my belt . . . we'll see. : ) Yes, this will be up on the Amazon page, as well as the other one. When? It just depends when the webmasters at Amazon get around to it.

October 6, 2008 at 3:23 PM

Congrats on the good review! I will warn you about Amazon and the book list. It is NOT a good indicator of how your book is. My husband is obsessed with looking up his at least three times a day to see where it stands. His publisher, his reps, even I have told him that it is not a good indicator, yet he continues. I admit, it is a little obsessive, but depressing when you see your numbers go from 200,000 to 36,000 to 180,000. Ugh!

I have also expressed to my book club to pick your book, so we will see. Good luck!

October 6, 2008 at 6:21 PM

NATA--we must talk. So many questions.

October 6, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Congrats Heidi! That is awesome!

October 6, 2008 at 8:56 PM

Heidi, I need to get my book club to read it and then discuss with you! I think that would be fun. We don't read a book in December, so maybe January? Good luck and good times - I wish it was me.

October 6, 2008 at 9:09 PM

Janelle, yes, April's sister! You can get my email from her. Let's do it! (Or I can get yours from her.) Woo hoo!
Laura--thanks you sweetie!

October 6, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Impressive! Congrats Heidi!

October 7, 2008 at 6:03 AM

Also, looking back at my "hairstyles" when I was 14 makes me think I would have been better off with a shaved head. Don't tell her that of course. :)

October 7, 2008 at 6:04 AM

Thanks, Erin, I won't. But, I have to say, she isn't the only one her age walking around with a mess on her head. It seems to be the style.

October 7, 2008 at 6:46 AM

I already commented obviously, but I wanted to say thank you for YOUR comment on my blog about strengths and weaknesses as a mom.
It's NOT a weird answer, not at all. I totally get it. Cause I have the same answer. Partially because my time with them is not always all that quality. I'm here all the time, but I'm in my own head space a lot of that time.
I get it :)

October 7, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Heather, thank you! Even if it is indeed weird, at least we can be weird together. It's good company and with that I must be content. :)

October 7, 2008 at 4:14 PM

Post a Comment