Simpatico--Serious Sundays Installment #1  

Posted by Heidi in


There's Wordless Wednesday, Fragmented Friday, Clueless Tuesday (okay, I made that one up) and now I am going to try Serious Sunday. Because it's just hard to be funny every day. (Some of you would say I have trouble being funny any day. Thank goodness you all keep your opinions to yourselves.)


SIMPATICO
The smell of summer dying is my favorite part of autumn. The note of wistful melancholy that moves in the air, hand in hand with the heat rising from the earth to meet the cooler snap of fall, is the scent of my own feelings. It is the smell of parting from a time of fun and sunshine, plenty and easy living. The new season ahead is just as ripe with wonders yet I can’t help but mourn the sunset of the old.

One fall evening as my father and I stood at an upstairs window of my childhood home, I felt that uncanny stab of sorrow that often comes with the autumn air.

“Why do I feel so sad?” I asked aloud.

“Because you miss your home.”

“But I am home!”

“Not this home,” he said without turning to look at me. “Your heavenly home.”

I thought about that for a moment and decided it was true. The real revelation was that he felt the same as I and had thought about it longer than I and had an answer that was far better than one I could ever have imagined. At that moment I was fiercely glad that “home” was and will always be where he is as well as the place where my Heavenly Father dwells. His is the home of my soul.

The scent of autumn is that of something dying while the new and fresh looms large on the horizon to take its place. Perhaps it does remind us of a sacred time of parting, one which we don’t quite remember but one which we can never forget.

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 5, 2008 at Sunday, October 05, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

12 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I LOVE that last sentence in your post. You are right about that melancholy feeling that sometimes comes over us, especially in the Fall. I love this time of year!

October 5, 2008 at 1:01 PM

AMEN
Roxanne

October 5, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Thank you both!

October 5, 2008 at 5:30 PM

Yes, that's it exactly.

October 5, 2008 at 5:31 PM

I love this post for a number of reasons, but one is that I had a VERY similar conversation once,
A talked with a friend about my discontent and he said, "isn't that good, that you aren't content here? This is not your real home."

And it hit me then. Yes, he was right, heaven is my home. No wonder I feel so off most of the time.

Great post. :)

October 5, 2008 at 6:42 PM

I meant
I talked with a friend,
not "A talked with a friend" but you get the idea...

October 5, 2008 at 6:44 PM

I love your thoughts and the way you describe things. You have such a thoughtful soul. I feel the same way about fall. It is getting so cool and crisp, yet summer is trying so hard to hang on....

October 5, 2008 at 6:56 PM

Yes, Heather, I knew what you meant. I think that is so neat--I love the "simpatico" of that. Hillary--thank you for the nice words!

October 5, 2008 at 7:02 PM

I loved seeing the more serious side of you Heidi. I've heard that about babies and why they have an "adjustment period" after they're born, but had never thought of it applying to me ...a grown-up. So thanks.

October 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM

You put the change of a season into such eloquent words.
very nicely done.

October 5, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Your writing is beautiful. I really loved this.

October 6, 2008 at 7:12 AM

Erin, Mary, Melissa and Jami--thank you so much! It is fun to have a chance of pace. : )

October 6, 2008 at 7:32 AM

Post a Comment