My Daughter Went To The Mall And All She Bought Me Was This Stupid Button  

Posted by Heidi in


It was Saturday when I gave the Middle Child money, real actual green crispy money, for the purpose of buying herself lunch and a movie ticket when the very nice family across the street invited her to attend said lunch and movie with them. I made it very clear the money was for lunch and the movie only only ONLY, even if the Nice Family insisted on paying (which was likely, which was why I risked placing my hard won book money into my daughter’s hands.)

She came home without the money but with a(nother) new Jack Skellington T-shirt (which she paid for how? How? Anyone? Anyone?) and this button, a gift to me.


I suppose this was supposed to be some kind of sop to my wounded sensibilities, which clearly, she anticipated the wounding of, and with that very same cunning mind which she claimed didn’t understand me when I made it clear the money was not to be spent on fripperies, but only to pay her way with the nice family across the street.

At any rate, I figure, in light of the button and all, this qualifies as an excuse (and a downright justified one) to temporarily remove the moratorium against blogging about my daughter. In fact, one has to wonder if this very button could have been an invitation to do so. For which I am very grateful.

(In light of the upcoming holiday, I will be ending all of my posts this month with the phrase “for which I am very grateful”, a la the fortune cookie tradition of a different phrase.)
P.S. I want to say, “You go girl!” to Sue of Navel Gazing At Its Finest for writing a brilliant and entertaining (even if fake) blog and moonlighting as Cordy of My Super Hopeless Romance, and also for “‘fessing up” when she began to feel uncomfortable with what was happening. Please stop the hate mail, people! (not that any of my regular readers are the least bit hateful but if you are here simply because I have the words “Cordy” and “My Super Hopeless Romance” in my blog post, then it could be you of which I speak).
P.S.S. 8 libraries have ordered 13 copies of Miss D. Can you say Ka-ching?!?! No? Not yet? Still too few for dancing in the street? And here I am with my dancing shoes on . . .

This entry was posted on Monday, November 3, 2008 at Monday, November 03, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

18 wise, witty and wonderful comments

That is so funny. She is a smart one, isn't she?!

November 3, 2008 at 1:35 PM

I so need that button.

November 3, 2008 at 2:15 PM

Love the button and I pre-ordered my copy of your book on Amazon last week. I was doing a little Christmas shopping for the kids and thought why not get something for myself?!? Can't wait to read it!

November 3, 2008 at 2:24 PM

Did you give your daughter a big kiss? Brilliant girl, kissing up to the mom to take attention away from the "extra" she brought home for herself. Would love to copy that button!

November 3, 2008 at 2:31 PM

You are all right--she is very smart, in fact, the other day her English teacher told her she was the most exceptional student she has had in her 20 years of teaching (though we agree that she was just kissing up for a free book because her math teacher doesn't think much of the MC even though she is wayyyy better at math than moi) and the button is way cool and I should figure out where it came from so you can all find one for yourself. Becky! Thanks for ordering my book! I agree, why not something for yourself--that's the fun in Christmas shopping, right? ;)

November 3, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Hey I want one of those buttons :)

November 3, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Too funny, I can see Piper doing that in a few years... A nice pair of Lu-Lu Lemon pants... and here you go mom, I bought you this Shape magazine...

November 3, 2008 at 3:21 PM

See, I told you that she secretly loves when you blog about her...That is funny. If she really wanted to show her love and devotion, she should have added a little chocolate as well. Maybe next time.

November 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM

I am so jealous of your 'I'm so blogging this' button. Clever girl you have !

November 3, 2008 at 4:01 PM

I SOOO need one of those! Which store did she get it at, I really do want one, really, seriously...

November 3, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I love the redundancy of this button on this post. Very clever.

November 3, 2008 at 4:26 PM

I want that button too! My daughter occasionally pulls the, "Don't blog about this on me." So far I've humored her, but I'm not sure how long that will last.

November 3, 2008 at 4:40 PM

Dance away, babe!

Ignoring a strict parental injunction surely deserves the punishment of being blogged about!

Very clever of her though.

November 3, 2008 at 4:58 PM

Okay, I have pinned down the middle child and she says she got it at the Pac Sun store (Pacific Sun maybe?) at the Sunvalley mall. However, they stopped selling them--she found it on the floor where they had dropped it after removing the boxes of its clearly unwanted siblings. I imagine they can be found on eBay. Everything else can. Abra-the lemon yellow pants--too funny, Katie-yes, you are right and I love the chocolate idea, no doubt she will quickly catch on, Kim--I so agree. Blogging is the new way to discipline. woo hoo! (you hear that Eowyn? :) )Thanks everyone for the comments, especially if this is your first time here at Dunhaven Place.

November 3, 2008 at 5:19 PM

Okay, that was very smart, cute and (I would even add) thoughtful of her. She's a bright little girl :)

November 3, 2008 at 6:25 PM

Dear Mom, I really love that you are getting lots of pictures of me on your blog. I really love you and I wish that I had a blog. I got that idea from you. I love the way how in Halloween you put that really beautiful Halloween stuff on your blog. Love, the little guy

November 3, 2008 at 6:34 PM

I need that button as well. and no, it's never too early for dancing in the streets, get on it girl!

November 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM

Thanks alison! And Little Guy--you are my super duper angel boy! Thank you, too, sweetie!

November 4, 2008 at 7:01 AM

Post a Comment