Christmas Can Be Difficult OR Technologies Are Hard!!  

Posted by Heidi in


I have a new blog look! A completely unintentional, accidental and mistaken (mistakes, apparently, being my raison d’etre) blog look, but new, nonetheless. With Christmas little more than a week away and my house (finally!) decorated, including one of two dollhouses (alas, I fear the other will have to go without this year but there is plenty of dust to mimic snow so it’s all good) I decided it was time to jolly up my blog. I thought I had chosen something that would cover the old world beauty of my (formally) existing template rather like a sheet of Christmas decorated plastic wrap over a plate of delicious cookies, (a perfect example of such can be found here). But, because I make mistakes, I got this, which is fine, I guess, only I don’t know where my beautiful old world template went and I don’t know how to get it back (wah!!) If I have to re-do widgets again, I think I will get sick (the ugly, urgent, projectile kind).

I was going to chat about blog comments today but Mombabe did such a good job of it here that I will refrain. She did give me a good swift kick in the pants regarding blog rolls. I never use mine anymore (I depend on the following, er, service--for lack of a better word, though I am sure a better one exists, I just can’t think of it this very dadgum moment because I am so worried about my lovely template) so I just don’t think to add new bloggers I love to read to my roll. So, please don’t take it the wrong way if you aren’t there. (This is what I tell myself when I continually fail to find myself on various blog rolls around blogdania. I mean, really, shouldn’t I be on all of them? Right? Yes? RIGHT?)

While I sit here wetting my pants over my lost template and the prospect of replacing widgets when I find it and whether or not Blogher is going to refuse to pay me the millions due me for having their ads in my blog b/c one of them is below the fold making me totally out of compliance (and off the payroll) I recommend you lower my blood pressure via proxy by listening to beautiful and gorgeous Christmas music sung by my fellow bloggers, here and here (to which I might add, They knock my socks off! and-- Why aren’t they famous, already?)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at Wednesday, December 17, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

33 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Hey hun! If you go into your layout section you can at least click and drag your sidebar boxes around and get things in a better order. =) And I'll help you put the other one back in as soon as the holidays are over!

December 17, 2008 at 9:53 AM

So, I like the idea of the template, but unfortunately, the holly covers up the text!

And I NEVER use my blogroll. In fact, I know I have a bunch of people I haven't added. Google Reader is my friend.

December 17, 2008 at 10:00 AM

Well, I like your new festive look, and Kim can pretty much fix anything I've heard... because she's that amazing :)
So leave it up, I promise to get over to LDS Publishers, but between Christmas Concerts, Christmas Baking (my arch nemesis) And trying to be poetically creative - I haven't had time yet, so I prob. missed out on the voting - but I prob. wouldn't do it anyway, I mean hey, if I didn't do the political voting...
So I'll pop over soon as these dang cookies are over with (meaning prob. tomorrow)

December 17, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Kim, as always, you are a life saver! Kristina, sorry about the holly. It was supposed to be transparent--sort of---I promise! ugh. Abra--there are more than 20 stories about 2000 words long at ldspublisher to please don't worry about reading them all. Hey, I'll send you a link to the one that I thought you would especially like (it's not mine, for those who are trying to catch me being sneaky--yah, you're out there, I just know it!)

December 17, 2008 at 10:14 AM

I think we should all just stop having blogrolls--who can keep up? It's so guilt-inducing!
I love the template, you'll get it all worked out. :)

December 17, 2008 at 10:15 AM

This is why I have a boring white blog. I am very afraid to change it. Good luck figuring it all out!

December 17, 2008 at 10:18 AM
Anonymous  

sorry you lost your stuff, that same thing happened to me when I was messing around, trying to decorte for the holidays LOL!

Good luck and I love all of your pictures :)

December 17, 2008 at 10:26 AM

This is why I'm pretty sure I will never change my background or my header. I'm pretty sure I would mess it all up.

It does look cute though!

December 17, 2008 at 10:38 AM

It is really cute Heidi, but sorry again!

December 17, 2008 at 10:43 AM

Wow, you really read that post of MomBabe's and decided to spread the love in this post, linkwise! Thanks!

Thank goodness for Kim! I'm sure you'll have your old template as soon as ever you wish! I like this one a lot. So festive! Although I, too wish the holly was a bit more transparent (but I like the 3D feel).

December 17, 2008 at 10:44 AM

Heather--thanks, now I feel less guilty (ironically!), Lara--I hope you get lots of people listening to your Romanian Christmas carols via my link today!-Stacey & Erin--that's what I love about Blogdania, I don't feel like I am sitting here wetting my pants all alone!--Randi--stop feeling guilty! (but thanks!) Lisa--I couldn't resist linking to you when I wrote about the dust/snow. It was too good to pass up!

December 17, 2008 at 10:57 AM

I love it!! it looks vaguely familiar! :)
Great minds think alike!!!

Merry Christmas!

December 17, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I love your holly-day look it is really cute, but I agree I had to keep scrolling because it was hard to read through. I wanted to sens special props to all your gorgeous photos. I am also an antiques junkie, and love the old world decorations so much better than anything new, so I enjoy every photograph you post.

December 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM

Girl, I just made you 2 cents. Celebrate the glory of my DSL. Also I think your new Christmas outfit is charming.

December 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Ah, heck, Sabrina, did I unintentionally copy your brilliance? Yep--just checked--I did! Christine, thanks so much for the feedback! Not all of them are old, they just look that way (like me!) Jami! Jami!! Yay! Jami! You're back for good! (right? please say "yes"!) And thanks for the two cents. Now my little ones can have porridge for their Christmas dinner. sniff sniff

December 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM

I'm such a techno-idiot that the most I dare do on my blog is change colors. Someday I'm gonna be really wild and get an actual header. Wooohooo. . .

December 17, 2008 at 11:40 AM

I don't have a blogroll at ALL - I did one a while back and it was just ridiculously long, so I can't imagine even trying to keep it updated.

Your page looks so pretty! Moving your ad around isn't that tricky - as Kimberly said, it's just a matter of moving the little boxes around in the layount section. Easy stuff, really.

December 17, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Annette--might I recommend using someone with a straight head for the header? In other words, get help. Don't be like me and think you can do it all yourself (wah!) Beck, perhaps I should just get rid of mine, huh? It seems to be headed in that direction. ..tho I do like the ones that give the title of the latest post as a little teaser . . .Jami--now my Christmas is complete!

December 17, 2008 at 12:40 PM

I'll totally HIRE someone to make me a header. I'd mess something up royally if I tried to do it myself!

December 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM

I REALLY need to get with the program and at least update my "following" page!

Compared to me you are technologically savant! (oh, shoot - that made LOTS of sense in my head... I meant that "you smart, me dumb")

BTW - the book arrived - I have to finish another before starting in on it... but it's on the top of the to be read pile!!!

December 17, 2008 at 3:38 PM

Hey, I like your new look! And I never even noticed I wasn't on your blogroll until you brought it up.
I'll try not to be too put out.

December 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Kim can fix it; she can do anything!

December 17, 2008 at 5:21 PM

Annette--yes, good, just don't hire moi! (even if I beg and plead and make grand promises--as if I would), T--thanks for letting me know! I was just about to start emailing to find out, Randi, honest, it's nothing personal! I just dont' use it anymore. It's like having a coffee maker in the kitchen when you don't drink coffee. (maybe that's a bad analogy) Luisa, I agree--and she will--as soon as I decide what I want and when I want it. She's a dear (a smart dear!)

December 17, 2008 at 5:28 PM

Okay, I can TOTALLY see why you thought I wrote that piece, only I didn't, I (really smalley written) hope I write a tiny bit better than that.

OOhhh is that one of those ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh moments? Probably

Anyways, It was a story I would like so thank you for pointing it out to me. I managed to get a few reads in but I didn't get that far so thank you!

Wish you were closer I'd bring you some forbidden treats...!

December 17, 2008 at 9:34 PM

I am on your blog roll so all is right with the world! And thanks for the recognition on my music. I listened to Lara's (she came by my blog today). Gulp. I'm not worthy!

Good luck with your template.

December 17, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Abra, I know you write better than that! Kazzy--I hope you got lots of people come and listen to you sing!

December 18, 2008 at 7:22 AM

Ah, thank heaven I made the blogroll! And the follower thingy! And do you really have PINK FEATHERS all over your Christmas tree?!? I love all that frill and froth..it totally suits you!

December 18, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Thank you for noticing! Yes, I have pink frothy feathers all over my tree--but it is just the three foot one in the kitchen behind the sink. I have a regular tree in the living room.

December 18, 2008 at 9:33 AM

Wetting your pants, oh my dear cuz maybe we are related after all.
Roxanne

December 18, 2008 at 10:15 AM

Sorry to hear about your template misadventures. I'm avoiding that by keeping a lame, default template for the moment. Except for the holly and the other thing covering up text, I rather like it. It's quite festive and cheery.

BTW, thanks for linking to the music. I'm enjoying it even as I type this. It's quite calming (and beautiful, I might add).

December 20, 2008 at 12:37 PM

oh my blogroll nightmare. I just realized I'm not on my blogroll. But I know you still love me. And I'm secure in the knowledge. I don't need other people to know that you love me to feel your love.

:)

December 20, 2008 at 11:00 PM

And I love your new accidental make-over.

December 20, 2008 at 11:00 PM

Roxanne, you mean to say this is a genetic thing? So, not a temporary aberration at all whatsoever? Yuck! James, I am glad that you enjoyed Kazzy and Lara and their beautiful singing! Crash--see, this is just what I'm talking about!! How could you not be on my blogroll? B/C I don't care about my blogroll anymore. It's a sad state of affairs, indeed. Glad you are secure--you should be!

December 21, 2008 at 7:48 AM

Post a Comment