Blogger Paranoia, Like Diarrhea, Only Stinkier  

Posted by Heidi in

(Warning: I am so very tired this morning, tired of trying to be witty and “write good” so be warned.)

I had a good “Good Morning” from Jeeves this morning (see sidebar) which is a terribly good thing b/c as soon as I peeled myself from my red-velvet-cake-with-french-icing bed and dragged myself to the computer (after 12 hours there yesterday, I half hoped it had self-destructed and sunk through the floor) I checked my sitemeter account to see if anyone had visited me since I shut things down last night.

I saw that I had two new comments but instead of adding two visitors, it subtracted them.


All of them.

Except two.

For a second I thought that perhaps, whilst I was gone from the blogosphere, everyone decided (as a practical joke, natch) (led by
Crash, natch) to take back their visits but common sense soon (er, evenutally) reigned when I realized it just couldn’t be done. Not even by the cybernatural Crash.

Then I thought, perhaps, as punishment for not winning the
Mormon Mommy Bloggers spotlight contest, all the hits that I received over the past week as a result of being nominated were removed. Yes! I did wonder that! Even after realizing--just moments before--that hits can’t be taken back! (Besides which, there were far less hits missing than the number of hits I got, so that didn’t add up, either.)

Just as I was thinking “what the helk! I ought to cancel sitemeter!” I looked at my email and saw that I had one of Sitemeter’s sporadic email bills saying they had just charged me (which they only do sporadically). Ironic much? (I think they refer to it as “periodic”. Someone please explain to me the diff.)

A few more items worth relaying (though, perhaps not worth reading—you be the judge)

Monday’s post was all about plagiarism and all the comments have been all about why what I said isn’t. Love it! However, note to people: We’re not about the accuracy here at Dunhaven Place. We’re about the fun.

Speaking of fun, I have a new widget (er, besides the What Jeeves Said widget which will show what Jeeves says each morning when he awakens me but only the mornings I remember what he said b/c sometimes it’s hard to remember things that are said whilst you’re still sleeping . . ) where-in I am keeping a running total of a number of things (“things” being my favorite word to denote just about everything—lazy much?), one of which is the word count, number of pages and number of chapters completed on my new book. I should have gotten through chapter two yesterday but it was not to be. When I went to look for the file yesterday morning (and, yes, T, it was after seven!) it was GONE! Vanished! Turns out that it was All My Fault for reasons too Revealing and Embarrassing and Humiliating to discuss.

Thank goodness I had emailed the first half of the first chapter to a friend for commentary so I only had to reproduce the second half. Boy was it killer! So much harder to re-write something from your memory than to just jot it down from your imagination. As a result, I am only about 4 pages ahead of where I was last week rather than the 8 or 9 I was hoping for. Such is life.

I would also like to point out the wii fit age—it is amusing to be a different age each and every single day. I am 44 yet Mr. Wii insists I am anywhere from 37-56, depending on how well I do his little balance games that day. I suppose Mr. Wii subscribes to the same philosophy as we do here at Dunhaven Place. It’s not about the accuracy, it’s about the fun!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 at Wednesday, January 14, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

36 wise, witty and wonderful comments

My sitemeter stole back most of my hits from yesterday, too! But then he gave them back. I was glad. I like them. They're my friends. They're YOU! (Well, not yesterday they weren't, but you know what I mean. And I also mean YOU as in YOU and you as in other people, too.)

Sorry about the disappearing book. That is awful. With the mood I've been in lately I would just say "Forget it! I'm never writing another book, all the rest of my life!!" And then I would stick to it. I'm really glad you're so much more persistent than I am!

January 14, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Who did win the mormonmommyblogger spotlight contest? I couldn't tell after the voting stopped who won.

I'm sorry about you having to rewrite. That sounds like pure torture. Although, sometimes rewrites turn out to be more concise.

The wii fit sounds fun to me. I think it would make it even more fun to see what age you were each day, especially if it were regularly different.

January 14, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I'm sorry you didn't win! To be fair, I voted for both you and Lorie.

And I love the new Widget.
And it's a darn shame about Chet, isn't it?

January 14, 2009 at 12:12 PM

It's about the cake. That recipe is a wonderful way to fall off the gluten. I often tell myself if I mix carefully and without speed the gluten refuses to develop and I am therefore safe. Oh the things we tell ourselves to justify our actions.
Have a gluten free day
Roxanne

January 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I feel so bad about your book! I'm glad you were only one chapter in and not 30. Looking on the bright side.

My sitemeter did not steal hits yesterday...very odd.

January 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Mr Wii-Fit puts me anywhere from 26-42... of course, I haven't asked for his opinion since he said 26... I'm leaving it like that no matter how many times he complains to me :)

January 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM

So sorry to hear about you losing your book! It's good you were able to get part of it back, at least.

I'm eagerly awaiting it!

I want cake. First, peach pie at Annette's and now cake at yours. No fair.

I WANT DESSERT!

January 14, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Oh no, I'm sorry about losing your words! NOOOO.

I think you're the best, even if sitemeter tries to tell you otherwise! :)

January 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I have sitemeter and have no idea what it says, so rarely go to check it. Ignorance is bliss. Ignorance also assures no paranoia. So, it has it's benefits. :)

Horrible about the book. I know what you mean about it being much more difficult to write from memory than from imagination. Totally know the feeling! Hope it all gets sorted soon!

January 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM

You know, yesterday was the worst day in a long time, according to my sitemeter. Visits at K's Ponderings are not even a fraction of Dunhaven Place, but I average about 48 page hits a day. Yesterday it was 15 or something horrible like that. Maybe our usual readers were off doing less important things, like reading newspapers or books. Hmmm

January 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Well, I voted for you, um, several times and can't believe you didn't win!

I love the Jeeves feature, though. You've got a winner there!

January 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I think I have sitemeter, but I've never checked it. Hmmm.

So sorry about losing some of the book. That is so frustrating!

I want to play Wii fit. But wait - is it exercise? Okay, never mind then. I don't want to play.

January 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Lisa--I got mine back, too. Thank goodness! B/C where would I be without YOU! Heatherlyn, the main reason I do wii fit is to see how old I am. My driver's license can't seem to keep up. Kristina--you saw my poor little ol' comment about Chet wayyyyy down the list, eh? You're good! Roxanne, no doubt! But my bed is gluten free. And *I* have been gluten free for four whole days, now. sigh. BTW, I named the villianess in my new book after you. Not b/c you are a villianess but b/c Roxanne is a great name for one. Your mom and dad should have thought of that before they gave it to you. (how irresponsible are they?) Lara--that's good. Not sure why they took mine but I am glad to know they took Lisa's too. Lisa and I should start a support group. You can still come Lara, even though you can't possibly understand our pain. T--you can make it say the age you want? B/c, if so, I am totally there! Rebecca, sorry about that. I know you can't! I feel so bad about that! Ahh, Heather, you know how to make a girl feel good! Alyson, you are as wise as you are beautiful. Kazzy--don't be so sure. Then again, 1/2 is a fraction . . .

January 14, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Randi---thanks for sinning on my behalf. Sorry it came to naught. Erin--it IS exercise but it IS fun. Who knew?

January 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I am excited I get to be one of the first twenty comments on your blog! Usually by the time I check blogs you already have 30 comments or more. It is very hard to think of anything clever when you are the 31st person to write. Okay, so I just realized it is hard for me to think of something clever no matter when I write. But no matter, I always love reading your blog. Hope your finger is doing better.

January 14, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Anonymous  

have you taken a brain age test on Nds? On a good day I am 21 , on a bad brain fog day I am 56 LOMBO

January 14, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Man, I'm glad I don't have sitemeter, I would have FREAKED out!! I voted for you multiple times too, are you not supposed to do that?! Crap, I just joined MMB and now they're going to kick me out...sad. Or helk. Or whatever. :)

January 14, 2009 at 2:15 PM

oh p.s. I'm so impressed you remembered my name! You rock! (but I changed my profile name anyway, just to not be confusing.) :)

January 14, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I lost a chapter once when my computer crashed and I hadn't saved for about an hour. It about killed me to rewrite it--but I think it came out better the second time, ironically.

January 14, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Joy--I have the very same problem! Everyone has already said the obvious or the funny, etc. by the time I get there. ESP on Wednesdays. My finger is great btw--those bandaids rock!! Stacey--do I really want to? Yes, yes, I do. I'm such a masochist. What is Nds? Melinda, I am so glad you changed your profile name and pic to just you--it helps esp b/c you're so darn stinkin' cute! Annette--a whole chapter! Yikes! I am obsessive about saving but it turns out I was, oh well, too long to explain and the big guy needs me. I DO think it turned out better the second time around--hey, re-writing is always ness anyway, right?

January 14, 2009 at 2:39 PM

What if site meter heard that you wouldn't be around on Tuesdays so thought they would share the hits with other bloggers...kind of like a "blog Zion" (law of consecration style). Do you think I will be struck by lightening for that? hehehehe

Sorry about the lost manuscript....ummm...I feel a theme here!

January 14, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I'm going to go check sitemeter right now.

January 14, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Dang! I could have sworn I commented. I've lost my marbles. And my comment, apparently.

I think Sue once said she lost three years of writing on a flash drive. Imagine the suffering!

I hate having to recreate a comment. A whole chapter? Half a chapter? Arg!

Here's to hoping I push the right button this time!

January 14, 2009 at 7:50 PM

My sitemeter hardly moves now since I made my blog private... I wonder if that has anything to do with it... maybe I'll ask them...

Terribly sorry to hear about your book.
That sucks.
MR. Wii Fit must be working for you today if you were able to remember what you wrote yesterday though, so I suppose you should be grateful for the broad spectrum he doles out :)

January 14, 2009 at 7:58 PM

April--that's actually a very cool thought! Heather--did they take your hits too? (mine were back by the time I posted . . )Jami--now that's a true friend! And, yes, I remember Sue saying something about that too. I would have been devastated. Though I did lose 18 months worth of emails I sent to my mom and dad when they lived in England which was my journal at the time. I am still hoping they show up . . .Abra--I guess, only I had written it a week earlier . . so I guess it is helping even more than you thought! Hooo boy, I'm tired, I had better take my aged brain to bed.

January 14, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Sitemeter be damned. If I let it influence my outlook on life, I would probably be in a perpetual funk.

Oh wait, I think I might have just realized something...

-Francesca

PS: Who needs the sitemeter anyways? I would definitely go with Mr. Wii. He is shaving years off of the aging process daily. :)

January 15, 2009 at 5:43 AM

Francesca--happy to be the path to your enlightenment.

January 15, 2009 at 7:11 AM

Hello, Hello! Sorry your book was eaten, among other things. It's nice to meet another heidi. I have you bookmarked to check out your book at nap time - Yay to you for writing!

I, uh, collect heidi's so I've sdded you to my heidi blogroll. Stop by and say hi!

January 15, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Hi Heidi--Heidi's are a good thing to collect. I hear they go up in value as they age. Too bad my wii fit age went down today . . .

January 15, 2009 at 9:34 AM

What is "sitemeter" I am a computer IDIOT. Seriously, log in and log off and maybe a few other "little" things and that is the extent of my computerism (word??) So my paranoia comes from NOT KNOWING . Must be amazing to be able to write a book ---good luck with that and carry on girl. sitemeter??????

January 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I totally voted for you, so I am not sure why you didn't win. I think you are the winner (or weiner, depending on how you want to say it) everyday!

January 15, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Wendy, I answered you in your blog. Youngblood--you are so darn sweet! I have my theories (like, less readers!) (and perhaps less relatives and friends) (and even, more scruples) but it mattereth not. I had fun just being a nominee. It was great! Thanks for voting for me!

January 15, 2009 at 11:00 AM
Anonymous  

Hey, I voted for you too! I think a recount is in order.

I must know more about this Jeeves wake-up call. It sounds positively delightful!

Also, I went to the B&N yesterday to get your book and guess what? Someone had just called and reserved their last copy. =[ So I cajoled the assistant into ordering me my own. All right, I didn't have to cajole. He just ordered it happily and sent me on my way. But I thought I'd share what wonderful news it is that your book is in demand! Hope it makes your day!

January 15, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Elliott-yes, it does! Very much so! Thank you . . .wv word:kinin--blog kin. You are all my kinin. Sinnin kinin but kinin nonetheless (it's not about the accuracy--it's about the fun, and calling y'all sinners is fun but only b/c it rhymes with kinin

January 15, 2009 at 5:22 PM

I think Wii age is one of the most entertaining parts of Wii!

January 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Miss Heidi, have you ever seen the Jeeves and Wooster series with Hugh Laurie, before he was House and affected and American accent? it's one of my all times faves! Think you'd love it too! No, I haven't read the books.

I was thinking of you yesterday as I watched To the Manor Born with my mom. We used to love that show years ago,and i bought her the series a few years ago. I KNOW you'd love that one too!

January 17, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Post a Comment