The Happenings of 2008 For Which I am Especially Grateful  

Posted by Heidi in

1. My insightful purchase of many pieces of chocolate colored clothing.

Why this was good for me: Anyone who has been pregnant thrice or more experiences a significant hormonal shift, i.e., food spillage on the clothes becomes a permanent tendency. Since I eat chocolate ice cream every day of the week my dark brown wardrobe has become quite the boon. In point of fact I am wearing my chocolate colored hoodie with the three quarter sleeves today for the second day in a row! It’s perfect for January days in California that start out in the 40’s and soar to the 70’s (I guess winter is still on its way around here). Did I spill chocolate on it last night? Yes. I did. I’m not going to lie about it for my shame is covered and no one is the wiser (well, yeah, except for you) My chocolate colored cords: read above (minus the three quarter sleeves)

2. My Little Guy spent only six months of 2008 in Kindergarten.

Why this was good for me: I hate kindergarten, reeeeaaaally despise it. The closest analogy I can come to what it feels like to drop off, pick up a few hours later, be home for older kids a few hours after that, attend many darling and special (and they are) class functions and help out in the classroom (a lot) (I didn’t) is prison. Had I ever been to prison, I suspect I might have liked it better. Much more quality “me” time.

3. No 24 (except that two hour special in November with which I am okay)


Why this was good for me: I love 24! I, however, am getting older and not as adept at producing the correct levels of adrenaline. The zipping and zinging and downright dopamine free-falls were killing me. In fact, I am pretty sure we all needed the break. (Clearly Keifer did.) (love you, Keifer!) (I really mean that!)

4. I became aware of the benefits of hands free phones i.e. bluetooth, etc. etc.

Why this was good for me: I can now talk freely to myself in the car or wherever, at full volume rather than muttering under my breath, even gesticulate wildly, and no one gives me looks of alarm or flips me off in traffic. (Oh, wait, that was at a New Year’s Eve dance in high school when, overcome by the auld lang syne of it all, I burst into gusty tears.)

5. Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind was published.

Why this was good for me: to which I say, “unspeakable joy” and “duh!”

6. I started a blog.

Why this was good for me: You guys make me feel funny and loved and like I could find Mr. Birdie Flipper (does anyone even say that anymore?) and take him down. Figuratively speaking, of course. Because I wouldn't use my fists or anything like that. No, my weapons would be more along the lines of my intellect, wit and startling beauty. (At least that’s what Jeeves said.)


This just in: the Nie-Nie charity book full of funny post by bloggers you know and love is available for purchase right this very minute! Click HERE!

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 at Thursday, January 15, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

33 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I never realized the benefits of wearing chocolate covered clothing! Good call.

And I'm sorry to hear about your break from 24 and Kiefer. I will make up for your lack of watching by watching each episode 6 times.

January 15, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Miss Pulsipher, you are pretty amazing! Are you right on time everywhere you literally go, as well? And to the 24 thing--helk no! I'm watching! I'm just glad for the year off. I am recovered, now. But if you must rub your youth and vitality in my face, go ahead and watch it six times with my blessing!

January 15, 2009 at 11:03 AM

When I finally decide to grow up (which I may never do) I want to be just as witty as you (and jeeves).

PS-I think Kindergarten is soooo overrated!! (for moms anyways....hehehehe)

January 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I had to read it a couple times to realize you were grateful for no 24 in 2008, meaning you would probably be fine with it in 2009. Phewsh. I wasn't sure we could still be friends.

Also, I need to go buy some brown shirts, apparently.

January 15, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I own LOTS of chocolate brown clothing... and I don't eat chocolate so they're wasted! I either need to start buying vanilla ice cream colored clothes or learn to eat the stuff...

Kindergarten - ugh, don't remind me... the youngest goes this August... pointless indeed!

January 15, 2009 at 11:19 AM

I love your list.
Next on my agenda of things to get... Chocolate covered clothing!

January 15, 2009 at 11:33 AM

So I'm wondering about the 6 months in kindergarten thing. Does that mean 6 months in 2008 and 6 months in 2009? Or was he moved up a grade? Or what? I'm just wondering because kidnergarten is the worst place for my son to be right now, and that's exactly where he is (he reads on a 3rd grade level).

24 gave me nightmares, so I had to stop watching after the first season.

January 15, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I'm still giggling over #4. I think about that a lot as I pass people who appear to be talking to themselves. I think for a second they've lost it and then I remember technology :)

January 15, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I LOVED THIS POST!!! It's so cute.

Hey, are you preggos?

And I TOTALLY AGREE about kindergarten. Right on, girl!

I would also enjoy prison because we could blog our brains out without interruption. Except to work out, of course.

WV says pelele which is the volcano goddess Hawaii with a studder

January 15, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Your verifier say deculter

Wow! SO PROFOUND

January 15, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I am so not Ms. PTA mom. I was just talking to my mom about the all day kindergartens they have here in Utah now......I have 2.5 school years and then the twins begin!!!!!

I am not counting down or anything like that.

I share the knowledge of stained clothing. I specially am more aware of it now that I have 12 inches less of hair to cover the stains!

How the CEO of the big companies go to work everyday without the signs of kids, those that have kids, is beyond me!

January 15, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Oh TOTALLY agree about the kindergarten thing! My daughter's in kindergarten this year and it makes me so annoyed! Loved your list, you ARE witty and funny and beautiful! But its nice to have a blog where people tell you that huh?! :)

January 15, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I've got another 5+ months of kindergarten to get through in 09. I will be happy when it's OVER. She's loving it, though.

January 15, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I hate kindergarten too! I'd rather just have them home with me all day than go to kindergarten. It's such a pain in the rear! I can't get out and get anything done.

Loved your 2008 list!

January 15, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I love chocolate colored clothing! Brown is my favorite color to wear, so cozy. I laughed at your observation, and I completely agree! Once you've had three kids you do continue to spill things on yourself. I do it on a daily basis. I get rid of clothes not by how out of style they are, but by the amount of stains they have.

I don't watch tv shows that make me have a heart attack. Now that I'm 30 it's even worse. I stopped watching Heroes because it makes me feel icky and scares me to death! Same for Lost.

Hee hee, you said figuratively. ;)

January 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Kelline, it's because the nannies get the kids changed and fed. Only way I see they can do that!

January 15, 2009 at 2:46 PM

April--you are too young and beautiful to grow up (but I hope you get to grow old!) Lara--absolutely, I'm on board for 2009 esp b/c it would be heart breaking if we couldn't be friends anymore,T--vanilla ice cream is the second best there is (IMHO) Justrandi--it's a happy color! Erin--he did the rest of kindergarten in 2007. He's in first grade now. No, he is not some brilliant punk like yours. :) Heather--the truth is, I AM. I love to talk to myself. I am such a good listener. Crash, no I am not, but if I were, you would be the first to know. My husband would be pretty far down on the list since it would probably give him a heart attack. We're 44, you know? Maybe I would survive labor but I wouldn't survive the teen years later on (and my hubby would be dead of severe anxiety by then so I would be a widow--not a good scenario, don't you agree?) And I am proud to be a duculter. Don't let anyone tell you that's a bad thing! Kelline--nannies (sorry Rebecca, I stole your answer) Melinda--I was exaggerating about the wit and the intellect and the beauty. I am sure my family would call it an outright lie but they are prejudiced. Annette--that's so true! The kids love kindergarten and they really aren't ready for a longer day and I get that but I have so been loving my youngest being in first grade b/c its . . .(now let's all sing) "a whole new world" (Jasmine style)Alyson--if I ever have another kindergartener, I am going to do as you say. I'm not going to send them to school, I am going to send them to your house and for eight hours. None of this dippy 3.5 hours thing. But you won't mind b/c your kindergartener is going to be home with you anyway. And b/c you are charitable like that. Rebecca--me too! I could just cry over how many shirts I have stained the very first time I wore them--and it is just getting worse as time goes by.

January 15, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Those are some big accomplishments, especially the last months of kindergarten in your life as a Mom and the book publishing. I like the brown, too. It's such a great color.

January 15, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I am so glad your 2008 has gone so well. I am especially glad that we've become friends.

Perhaps I should go for some chocolate colored make-up. My husband burst out laughing yesterday as he opened my car door when I arrived home from the grocery store yesterday. Apparently my sneaky Ben and Jerry's experience wasn't quite as sneaky as I thought.

January 15, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Heatherlyn--thanks! Jami (wiping tears from my eyes, here . . ) just one more reason why people of African descent are superior to us white folk. (I'm glad that 2008 brought you to me, too!)

January 15, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I am glad to have been converted to blogging and the people that come with it in 2008. Have you tried Dots ice cream? It is much easier on the clothes!

January 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Kazzy--you are brilliant!

January 15, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Ah how I love your lists...did you know some school districts have full day kindergarten? I am jealous!

January 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM

I love your hands free phone trick! You're brilliant. My mom was born just thirty years too early, I think, poor lady!

What an eventful year! I think we need brown seat covers in the car. We have a NO CHOCOLATE in the car rule because little bits always end up on the seats. And melted onto the seats of pants. No good.

January 15, 2009 at 11:51 PM

And I thought you were going to say that you bought your whole family brown clothes for a family photo (something that I am contemplating). But to hide chocolate stains is even better. Great use of the word boon, you have the best vocabulary. Ditto on the kindergarten, if it weren't for all that dropping off and picking up it would be a lot better. My kindergartener actually would do really great full-day, she is full of energy and ideas and needs lots of creative outlets and stimuli.

January 16, 2009 at 6:28 AM

I have to say this is probably the only blog where I find I have to read all the comments as well, because they are always so entertaining. So after reading it all, I am going to weigh in on the other side of the kindergarten issue. I loved the short day. It helped wean me away from my kiddos. I couldn't have taken a full day right off. But as for the rest of your list . . I can totally relate to the handless things. Since I talk/sing while by myself in the car all the time, now I finally look just as normal as all those people who walk around the grocery stores carrying on conversations with no one in sight.

January 16, 2009 at 6:56 AM

Jen--yes, I had heard that. Wouldn't that be nice? Lisa--very wise. We banned chocolate in the car too after the mega chocolate chip cookie incident of 1998. Heather--the matching clothes for the fam photo thing sounds so delicious, and in more ways than one, but my kids are beasts about family photos. We haven't had one taken in 7 years. (sometimes I feel sorry for myself. I don't have many of the "normal" mom experiences in life) Joy--yes, I have the best commenters in the blogosphere! I do agree with you about the separation anxiety. I wasn't ready to part with my kindergarteners for a whole day, either (well, with the exception of the Big Guy--you are new around here so you dont' know all about the Big Guy but you will . . ..)

January 16, 2009 at 8:09 AM

What a great idea! (the fundraiser book) Off to check it out!

January 16, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I loved Kindergarten. I didn't have my second kid yet when Kendra was going and I only worked part-time so I volunteered in her class regularly. It was so fun helping all those cute 5 year olds. It was also great because I got to know me daughter's classmates. She is in 4th grade now and some of her friends still remember me. When she talks to me about her day at school (yes, she still talks to me!!) I know who she is talking about.

January 17, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Wow, I used "me" so many times in that comment I got one in the wrong place.

January 17, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Kindergarten. You compared it to a prison. I would extend that to the rest of the years spent in our wonderful public school system. So would this guy . But then again, I have very good reasons to hate school and some of my former fellow inmates...

January 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Ditto on the 24 thing. I had to stop watching it at night because I would start having these anxiety attacks and then I couldn't ever sleep.

PLUS, we were watching on DVD, so it was all too tempting to watch 3 or 4 episodes in a sitting. "Just another 40 minutes..." AAARGH!

January 22, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Oh, and ditto on kindergarten too. There's not even time to work out and shower before you have to pick up again.

LOVE the chocolate-colored clothes!

January 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Post a Comment