Posted by Heidi in

I gave the Little Guy a haircut on Saturday. When The Spouse came home he said, “I think that’s just about the worst haircut you have ever given him.” (Oops, I think I was the one who said that.) (sorry spouse). In fact, it was just about the worst haircut any adult ever gave anyone (notice I don’t include children in this as kids are pretty expert at giving themselves bad haircuts as we know, to our sorrow).


Wanna see? Scroll down . . .



He looks pretty incensed about it, too.
The right side isn’t too bad but the left (his left) just goes in one long curve so he looks like a monk (without the bald spot). What can I say, the kid is ticklish and wouldn’t stop bouncing around like a Mexican jumping bean. He’s been like that since the womb—he was the King of the Congenital Mexican Hat Dance (which is okay for me to say since The Spouse lived there for two years). (Mexico, not the womb.)

As the day wore on, it just got worse and worse. And worse. So, I sat him down and said, “Little Guy, when the weekend is over and you go back to school, I just want you to know that the little girls will point and laugh, the boys will beat you up and the teachers will all turn from you and cry.”

Good thing the Little Guy has a great sense of humor and a healthy dose of self esteem. And, might I add, thank goodness for hair gel, otherwise the Little Guy would be a mass of bruises by now (like the inside of my womb).
Meanwhile, for those who haven’t heard, I am having a 300th blog post celebration (After only 9 months of blogging! I know! Who knew! I am so darn prolific! I really need to stop pushing myself on people like this!) which includes the obligatory give away. (That doesn’t sound like I feel obliged, does it?) One totally unique Miss D t-shirt will go to the lucky winner. Leave a comment on the actual 300th post (click here) and tell me what you want your shirt to say. It can be anything, including what others have already said (I am really loving your ideas, you guys!) but it can’t be nasty. At least not any nastier then what The Spouse already dreamed up.
Spoiler Alert! Sob story to follow: I’m having one of those days when I’m not feeling particularly witty, wise or wonderful. I enjoyed my day off of blogging so I could work on my book and even made some good progress but I really missed all your fun blog posts and comments. I will be catching up on those today but please don’t expect any clever comments—my characters sucked me dry yesterday. (They’re selfish like that.)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at Wednesday, January 21, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

32 wise, witty and wonderful comments

It looks a little like a Beatles 'do cut a little short. It could be the new thing! In a few days ALL the boys will come to school with their hair like that.

Actually, I don't think it's noticeably bad at all. And I TOTALLY thought you meant that your husband had been in your womb for two years. You had me VERY confused! :)

January 21, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I'm trying not to laugh, so I'll just pretend I'm not. My mom used to do the old bowl cuts where she literally put a bowl on my brother's head.

January 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Lisa, the reason I added the explanation is b/c when I went back to read my post, *I* totally thought I meant the womb. Glad I'm not the only one! Kristina--it's okay. We're not that fragile around here. In fact, make a recording and we can all laught together!

January 21, 2009 at 11:08 AM

When I was a teenager I watched a made for TV movie about some poor kids that went to summer camp (the older brother worked there as a counselor and had to bring his younger brother)... there was another kid there - "rat face" was his name... why am I telling you all of this? Well, because you've just re-created rat-face's haircut precisely!

(worst? ummm... no, I gave my boy a rat-face haircut once myself... ManOfTheHouse came home and buzzed it all off... a big improvement!)

January 21, 2009 at 11:13 AM

I used to cut my boys' hair...until one fateful day. The oldest wanted his hair cut. I botched the cut soooo baldly....er....I mean badly that I refused to cut their hair any more!
BTW-glad you had such a good writing day yesterday, but I sure missed you around the blogging community!

January 21, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Ok I have a picture of my #2 when I tried to cut his hair before Thanksgiving and he looked JUST like this picture. I actually will have to scan it and send it you because they look a bit alike anyway!

January 21, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Oh, no! This story sounds way too familiar....

January 21, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I think you did much better than I would have done. I am not allowed to touch my children's or my husband's hair with scissors.

January 21, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Can't be any worse than the haircut that I detailed in my third post. Oh that was bad. Very sad. http://supermisc.blogspot.com/2008/05/home-haircut-or-poor-l-boy.html

Your boy looks cute. Kind of old-fashioned.

It's hard for me to believe Miss D could be so greedy. She seems like such a nice gal.

January 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I hate cutting my boys' hair. It is pure frustration.

I'm glad you were able to write so well/much/whatever yesterday! Good for you!

January 21, 2009 at 12:43 PM

gee... it only took me THREE hours to remember the title of that movie I mentioned - (I hate that!)

it's Looking for Miracles ;) very sweet movie actually... if I remember correctly, it HAS been 20 years since I was a teenager!

January 21, 2009 at 1:19 PM

T--ratface, that sounds familiar. Perhaps it was subliminal inspiration. That means it's not my fault. Love it! April--I once cut off the tip of the Big Guy's ear whilst barbering him and here I am, 17 years later, still barbering the boys. Whatzzamattahwitme? Jen--they do, don't they? It's those big eyes and thin faces. Luisa--glad I'm not the only one! Lara--probably a good idea (I won't cut the Spouse's even when he begs me. I doubt that will be a problem for a while.) Jami--greedy greedy greedy! Can't wait to read your hair cutting mishap. Erin--thanks for the encouragement!

January 21, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Isn't hair gel great?! I've given my son a pretty bad hair cut once. I then took him to get it fixed at a real place. But my favorite bad hair cut was one that I gave to my brother when we were both in college. He looked like a padawan (from Star wars). It was awful. But he said, "I can't complain because it was free." I still felt bad.

January 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM

That haircut is um...

yeah....

it's bad.

Thank goodness for his sense of humor and self-esteem. What a cool guy! :)

January 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM
Anonymous  

I am so glad you can laugh about that... makes me feel less alone... one time I accidently shaved my hubbys head. it was horrible...

January 21, 2009 at 2:25 PM

HOLY COW Heidi...just buzz it off already, the poor guy! lol!

That's great that you post the pic too...I'm sure he will be happy about that later on in life!

I want to win your T-Shirt...but I have NOTHING to say for the bottom of the t-shirt...talk about being sucked dry!!!

January 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I would buzz it too. It is not really too cold there for it either. Kyle would not sit still for a hair cut and we ended up having to buzz it. Scott likes it that way better - it matches his head.

January 21, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Heatherlyn--it was nice of you to even cut your brother's hair, that's what I say! Heather--I am trying really hard to refrain from saying "look who's talking". Hee hee. At least you can blame your kid, huh? Hmmm, starting to understand the air of superiority in your comment (I'm totally kidding! You know that!) Stacey--how do you accidentally shave someone's head? Isn't that like accidentally eating all the ice cream in the freezer? Shelle--I really want to buzz it but the Spouse doesn't. No idea why not. Christine--that's pretty funny! Yay for Scott!

January 21, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Apparently the wv "recomens" you shave your sons head....who are we to question!

January 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM
Anonymous  

Don't be so hard on yourself. Kids are resilient and I might be "fashion-impaired" but I don't think it's so terrible. Your little dude is a cute kid. That face totally sucks you in. Who cares about the hair?

I knew Tuesday was your writing-dedicated day but I still had Heidi blogging withdrawals. I checked a couple of times just to make sure. But hooray! You're back.
And as for the witty thing--I loved the "Congenital Mexican Hat Dance" and the funny comments about Hubby in the womb!

I hear you about the characters sucking you dry too. They're brain-matter vampires. I feel like I shouldn't be allowed to hold sharp objects after spending a day with some of my characters.

Glad you're back!

January 21, 2009 at 5:21 PM

You couldn't convince him to be a trendsetter, huh?

Thank goodness my boys let me buzz their hair, hard to mess that up. Although son #2 is not getting any hair cut right now.

April, "baldly", that's a knee slapper. he he he he

January 21, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Oh the memories! I cut my daughter's hair one day and when she went back to school her teacher laughed right out loud and asked, "So, did your mother cut your hair?" Rude! Another time I was watching my niece and her hair drove me crazy because I don't think it had ever been cut--ever. So I cut bangs only I botched them. Then I lied to my SIL and said my son did it. Yikes! I hope my SIL doesn't read your blog!

January 21, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Oh man! I had a big ole long comment for you but it wouldn't let me post because there was some sort of outage.
Anyway, it said something like I totally think you're amazing for staying off here yesterday, I tried to but we all know how well that went. :) I said something about the haircut....blah, blah, blah and not feeling witty...blah Okay I think thats it! :)

January 21, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Oh so very very funny --but I totally relate. I always gave my boys their haricuts when little. They look at their photos and say MOM, Seriously, what were you thinking. It was always lopsided and quite pathetic really....but we needed to save a buck and hey, they were just kids. I didn't know they would "turn" on me when they got older. What a cutey he is.

January 21, 2009 at 7:56 PM

April, if the word verifier says it, I guess I had better. I'll just have to do it before the Spouse gets home from work. Hmmmm, Laura--you are so flattering! Do you come in every color? (No, really, I could get addicted to you) Nutty Hamster--actually, the kid is totally fine with it. In truth, he was upset about having his picture taken, not the haircut. He has very little vanity compared to his mother at the same age. Joy--LOL! That is too funny! Let's hope she misses your comment, at least! Does she read my blog? If not, why not? (JK) BTW, I am finally mailing those bookmarks to your daughter tomorrow. I hope she wasn't holding her breath! Melinda, that is SO weird! We did have a power surge right around the time you were posting a comment that turned off the DVR and the internet but I don't know why it would affect you posting something from where you are . . . Wendy--you bet, save a buck! He actually is really much cuter than he is in this picture. I think it's the haircut or something . . .

January 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Hi. Love your blog. I gave you a bloggy award in my most recent post. :) It's kind of a longer post to work though. Sorry! But it's there!

January 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM

I have cut my boys' sideburns too short many a time, but my 18 yr-old MAKES me leave them long now. He is a red head and the chops add to his charm! Did you read H of the EO's post today? You guys could open shop.

January 21, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Kazzy--I so did and her darling little post made mine look like, and I quote from my comment on her post "squashed flies". A redhead with sideburns---be still my beating heart! Really! I love redheads! The SPouse used to be a sorta-redhead with sideburns back when they used to be in . . .Heatherlyn, I'm so there! Thanks!

January 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM

What, you couldn't use a bowl with an even edge? Always have to go with the with the fancy-shmancy scalloped-edge serving bowl, dontcha Heidi? I think even Miss Delacourt would take exception to that decision...

;)

January 21, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I don't think it looks bad.

January 22, 2009 at 4:37 AM

Heidi--thank you! And with hair gel it is downright non-offensive. AJ--if you actually saw my house, you would know scallops are the order of the day. It just can't be helped . . .

January 22, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Heidi, I would say the look on his face is 'long-suffering'. I cut my boys hair when they were young and now that they are grown too. I think that most of my mistakes generally were kept to the back of their heads so they didn't know. And ya know, hair grows back. It's nothing that a few months of therapy can't fix. J/K
Roxanne

January 22, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Post a Comment