It's Raining And You Know What THAT Means  

Posted by Heidi in

I suffer from this pesky little condition called fibromyalgia. It causes a lot of muscle pain and fatigue, and, as an added bonus, brain fog, especially when the weather is wet and cold. The wheels just don’t spin like they should. (This could be why many people who know me think I am joking when I mention my book. Why, I could write a book all about people’s humorous reactions to the very idea that I even wrote a book—it would be hilarious without me even trying which would be hard for me to do if I felt the way I do when it rains). This is our first major rain storm of the year and as a result, I am having gargantuan pain in my lower back (especially when I sit) and my mouse finger (figures) which is also a major typing finger (figures) and my knees (curse you Wii Fit!) and want nothing more than to curl into a ball and watch LOST reruns until the cows come home (or the people of LOST, whichever comes first).

So, as sad as it makes me (and it does) I am just going to have to put off announcing the winner of the T-shirt contest and the spiffy tag from AJ until tomorrow at which time I hope to be feeling better and chock full of LOST trivia.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 at Thursday, January 22, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

38 wise, witty and wonderful comments

My MIL has fibromalygia but she always have a positive attitude about it. I don't think I could be the same.

And I'm over Lost already. I'm just so sick of answering questions with questions. Maybe Jack Bauer can blow the island up.

January 22, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Isn't raining bad enough by itself?! Darn that it also makes you feel crappy! I'm so sorry! Let me know how the Lost reruns go, you already know how I feel! haha

January 22, 2009 at 11:56 AM

My Grandma and Aunts have fibromyalgia. I hope it never comes upon me. It sounds wretched. I hope you feel well again soon.

January 22, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I'm so sorry! I hope you feel better soon.

January 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM
Anonymous  

I have a loved one with FM. I'm terribly sorry about the pain you're going through. I hope you get a reprieve soon.

January 22, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Im sorry to hear that Heidi. I hope the rain clears up and you feel better fast! :)

January 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I am so sorry! I don't have fibromyalgia but I have something that flares occasionally and gives me terrible pain, so I feel for you. I hope you are feeling better soon.

January 22, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Me and my rheumatoid issues are much happier since moving to the warmer and hotter areas of Utah ;) (well, since we moved here from Seattle it really couldn't have been much worse!)

Hoping for better weather and a happier body!

January 22, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I hope you feel better soon!

January 22, 2009 at 12:46 PM

That's no good! No one should have to dread the rain! And back pain is the worst (you know, in the worst thing I'm thinking of right now. I'm sure there are actually worse things, but at this moment I can't think of any).

Enjoy Lost! I can't wait until they start showing the 5th season here in Poland! (not sure when it will be, maybe in the fall. . .)

January 22, 2009 at 12:56 PM
Anonymous  

HOW do you write? I mean physically, not mentally. Do you type or record your voice then have it transcribed?

January 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I suffer from RA in my shoulders, spine, hips and knees, I understand the pain issue. The rain and weather changes are killers!!! Some days I just want to curl up and die because the pain is so great. Then my lovely daughers walk in and say "I love you, Mommie." and I realize that I'm going through this mortal trial for some reason and I must rise above it. Geez, I can't wait til the Millenium!! ;)

January 22, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I too have fibromyalgia - the weather sucks! It wasn't too bad until we moved from San Diego to Utah. Man the cold is like torture some days!

Hope it clears up quickly for you!

January 22, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Poor thing! I'm sorry. Enjoy LOST though!

January 22, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I'm feeling a little better and saw all these sweet supportive messages in my comment box! Thanks so much! You guys rock! (and to answer your question Sue, I started blogging in April and have been wondering what would happen once winter hit. The bulk of Miss D was written before I had fibro. It will be an enlightening winter, that's for sure!)

January 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Feel better soon! Fibromyalgia is a big pain (literally). One of my best friends has it, and I can't believe the things she must endure.

January 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Big HUGGGGS!!!!! Hope you feel better and the brain fog passes quickly along with the rain that's causing it.

January 22, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Here's some virtual chicken soup to help you feel better. Bummer about the rain and pain. I have FM also and it is no picnic.

January 22, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Oooooo - just start feeling better. passing along a hug

January 22, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Ugh, I'm sorry. I hope you've been able to rest. Sheesh.

January 22, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Really sorry you're not feeling well Heids. If rain makes you hurt, you should be thankful you don't live here in Tennessee. We've been getting a double barrel of rainy COLD weather since Christmas. Feel better soon if you can, and take your time on that meme; your feeling yourself is a lot more important then us learning stuff that you would have already told us if you really wanted us to know... ;)

I'd offer to let you cut my hair if it would make you feel better, but -- wait -- OMG! WHAT AM I SAYING?! Oh...well...hope tomorrow is a better day for ya. I haven't had such a great one today myself...

January 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM

My MIL has fibromalgia too. I think she still has more energy than I do (or more self dicipline). I'm sorry. I hope that you feel better soon.

January 22, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Ok the very idea of watching reruns of Lost gives me a gargantuan lower back pain (and I don't even have fibromyalga). I tried watching it once because everyone raves so about it and all it did was leave me befuddled and confused. Ahhh just give me a rousing episode of 'Ace of Cakes'(TLC) or 'Jon and Kate plus 8' (also on TLC) and I would say let it rain on.
Roxanne

January 22, 2009 at 7:43 PM

AJ, I am thankful for many reasons that I don't live in Tennessee. JK! (Not really) As for the meme, are you kidding? I love any excuse to talk about my favorite subject. I am amazed at how many sufferers and would be sufferers of FM there are out there! We should start a virtual support group!

January 22, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Have you ever tried the voice recognition software? My sister had to use it when she had hand surgery and she said it works really well.

January 22, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I'm so sorry. Your mouse finger? So you can't even distract yourself from the misery by blogging? You poor thing.

I migraine when it's about to rain. (Sure that's a verb. Why do you ask?)

Bummer about the T-shirt winner. But anticipation is good for our souls.

January 22, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I know so many people who suffer from that. You seem to manage it very well.

As to your writing, the whole time I was reading Miss D I was thinking, "I cant believe Heidi wrote this" and "how did she ever come up with this"...not because your blog belies your prowess, but out of sheer delight and utter amazement, page after page.

And then there were those sentences which left me with NO DOUBT you wrote them, because they have that shrouded sarcasm and wonderful wit you're famous for!

Now tomorrow, make sure you pick me. I NEED that t-shirt!

xo

January 22, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Oh Miss Heidi, I'm so sorry.

My mom and Aunt and FIL all suffer terribly from it. I feel for you sistah! Sending you hugs!

LY!

January 22, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Yikes sorry you have fibromalygia... I used to teach an arthrize class that was really good for bone, joint, and muscle problems. You should try aquasize or an arthrisize or even aquajogging (no impact) you'd be amazed at how much better you'd feel!
♥hope you feel better♥

January 23, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Sorry about the rain.

And I have to say about that haircut, I should show you the picture of my son when I took a swipe out of the back of his head before I put the razor attachment on. Ooops!

January 23, 2009 at 7:22 AM

I feel for you hun! I suffer too. I am totally hating the aftermath of b-ball yesterday. I am bound and determined not to allow this to beat me down!

January 23, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Oh I'm so sorry...I should look into that because I get aches and pains when it rains or is cloudy crummy weather.

My husband says it is all in my head!

Have a great time watching LOST re-runs...that sound wonderful! :)

Hope you have something to relieve the pani!

January 23, 2009 at 7:44 AM

I hope it stops raining soon and you get to feeling better!

January 23, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Feel better soon! I wish I could give you one of our yummy cookies, Emma did a good job and I just know they would make you feel oh so good again.
xoxox

January 23, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Thanks you guys! Virtual hugs felt big-time! Jen--as always, a great idea. I might have to do that. Roy's grandfather just got that and so far his emails are pretty much indescipherable but maybe I'll do better with it than he does. Jana--your entire comment is just about the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! I'm going to print that up and put it in my Miss D scrapbook!

January 23, 2009 at 2:22 PM

To answer your question (on my blog), yes, I've heard of P.G. Wodehouse, and even checked some of the Jeeves and Wooster books out once. I just never did read them. We should do a Jeeves and Wooster festival sometime. Do you own the series, or have access to it?

It really makes me sad to hear Hugh Laurie with an American accent!

January 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM

That sounds really crummy. I hope the weather turns or something so that you feel better.

January 24, 2009 at 4:52 AM

Rachel--I used to own it on VHS but we have so little storage room. When we get in the mood, we rent whichever episode we are in the mood for on Netflix. Heidi--thank you so much! I appreciate that!

January 24, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Post a Comment