Another Super Secret Post (Except That It's Not)  

Posted by Heidi in


I think it probably all started with the car accident. Except that the morning was a bit off, too, in that I put up a wonky post addressing the question as to why women would want to expose their sensitive flesh in the dead of winter (as they do) which was a big hit in blogdania, let me tell you. (If you want all sorts of hits on your blog, be sure to include the word “secret” in your title. I’m going to do it every day from now on, mark my words.)


It was short day at the elementary school, which meant I picked up my son late, as per usual on short days. (I swear those short days are the school district’s way of gaslighting moms.) We went from school to the grocery store, one that has been recently remodeled. Now I know; car accidents are a sure thing when you spend an hour wandering around your recently remodeled neighborhood grocery store in which the apples are the only thing you could locate without assistance after already having been late to pick up your kid and writing a wonky post.



It was one of those things that can easily happen when backing up at the grocery store—the other car was right behind me and backing out at the same time (and, dare I add, operated by an oldster with an even older oldster in the passenger seat who no doubt told the driver all was clear when it most definitely was not) but I was all unaware b/c I am always much more concerned with the cars that are whizzing by and the little kids whose mother’s recklessly allow them free rein in a parking lot. So, anyway, we banged right into the back of each other.


We exchanged info, I went home and unloaded my groceries, arranged my roses (aren’t they gorgeous?) gave the Big Guy a bath (lately he always smells like mold, I kid you not) got him dressed, drove him to his appointment to see the psychiatrist, a 45 minute drive, one in which I took a wrong turn and got a bit lost, then, once arrived, answered difficult questions as to why it had been so long since I had brought the Big Guy in to see her, defused a gigantic tantrum thrown by 270 pound Big Guy (the biggest reason we don’t often go to see the psychiatrist), drove the 45 minutes home, put dinner in the oven, called the insurance company to chat about the accident, played Guitar Hero World Tour where-in I got a score of 90,000 on level three of Hotel California after not playing GH in several years (but couldn’t get past the intro on level four to save my life), thereby eradicating all hopes of ever knowing if the pain in my neck this morning is due to GH or the car accident, then went off to a book signing (I was invited—no charge!—after selling all the books the book store owner purchased for MY signing, I am so “in”) for one Jamie Ford, author of Hotel On The Corner Of Bitter And Sweet which I assumed included dinner since it was at a restaurant but only included dessert which was a real bummer since I had eaten only dessert all day long in anticipation of lovely Italian food at said restaurant. Came home and finally watched 24.

Normally I just sit at my computer and read blog posts all day.

Tomorrow: the conclusion (I hope) to Snow Murder and Mayhem.
(Sorry about all the roses, esp. if your name is Reed. I get a bit obsessive. When the doctor asks whom it is the Big Guy takes after, I just murmur something under my breath and look away . . . )

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 at Thursday, February 19, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

34 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Good grief---I got tired just reading all that. I can't imagine actually having done it!
You are superwoman.

February 19, 2009 at 10:38 AM

I'm seriously impressed on the GH thing.

February 19, 2009 at 11:15 AM

I can pretend to be impressed by the GH, but I've never played, therefore, I have no idea if that's a hig score.

February 19, 2009 at 11:19 AM
Anonymous  

Do those roses smell as lovely as they look?

Is the psychiatrist worth all that trouble? My only experience with a psychiatrist--family counseling after my sister was hospitalized due to a suicide attempt--was really quite a joke.

February 19, 2009 at 11:23 AM

And i hope that you will just sit around reading blog posts all day today. You need the rest.

February 19, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Barb, yeah, well, today I'm so tired I can't do anything but lift the chocolate to my mouth. Annette and Kristina--I play real guitar, so that helps. Pam, my son takes five different kinds of serious heavy duty drugs so he has to see the psychiatrist. He hates it b/c it reminds him that he is not a normal person. He isn't. Lara, I wish! The chocolate lifing is getting a bit onerous!

February 19, 2009 at 11:51 AM

My sister has the same thing with psychiatrists! Such a pain.

What a crazy day, but I love your word "oldster". That new word was worth the accident alone, right? hehehe

February 19, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Wow, what a day. I feel ya, really I do. We got back from Vegas Monday night, Tuesday was New Beginnings (I work in Young Womens), so I went to work, came home to eat lunch, took son to the doctor, came home and grabbed all the decorations, headed to the church to set up, ran home to drop kids off, did New Beginnings, crashed. Then yesterday, I worked, sat around for a little while (which was so nice) then took all the youth to the Draper Temple open house, which took us 3 1/2 hours start to finish. Me so tired. :) Although, I still think you're one day tops my three. :)

February 19, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Oh no! A car crash, a temper tantrum and nothing but sugar to eat. Girl, you are going to be toast tomorrow. Take your ibuprofen. Take a nice big dose (unless you are allergic to it).

Oh yay! An extra book signing! Remember me when you're raking in the millions. Ok?

BTW, I love your rose obsession. Just one aspect of an utterly lovable you.

February 19, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Wonky-ful story. Thanks.

February 19, 2009 at 12:06 PM

The roses are beautiful.
The visit to the doctor for your son sounds painful.
And I think it's great you were invited back for the book signing!

February 19, 2009 at 12:11 PM

That is one busy secret Heidi.

Secret secret, I got a secret.

Now that song is stuck in my head all day. Now I need roses.

February 19, 2009 at 12:12 PM

LOVE THE ROSES. Flower emit a kind of peace---so I hope you are feeling it (peace) What a day for sure. HEY, WHEN YOU SAY OLDSTERS....were you talking about me. I wonder how many people want to flip me the bird when I am behind the wheel. Makes me giggle to think I am irritating someone.

February 19, 2009 at 12:24 PM

love the roses and thanks for sharing the secret! I'm about to do some chocolate lifting myself.... mmmm

February 19, 2009 at 12:25 PM

and I've just been sitting around all day reading blog posts... (while the repairmen fix my car and heater)...

of course, now Melinda has me freaking out... 3 1/2 HOURS - maybe I won't be heading up there this weekend!!!

February 19, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Wow, sounds like you had a hectic day. Sorry about the accident, hopefully nothing was serious.

And I can totally relate about the blog reading. I would promise myself to get on for just half an hour and before I know it, I've spent the whole day reading every blog on my blog roll, the comments and then some.

I love your roses, very beautiful.

February 19, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Sorry about your day!! uggh.

You know, I have never heard the term "gaslighting" before, but I love it and I now plan to use it All The Time!
Thanks for the vocab!!

February 19, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Heidi! I'm worried about your neck. Take it easy.

February 19, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I challenge you to a duel on Guitar Hero. You, me, and expert level. But only on the songs I have practiced.

February 19, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Oh goodness. SIGH!

At least you still have the foresight to stick sophisticated photos of roses in between all the bedlam.

Now that's class.

Sorry about your day!

February 19, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Alyson, I am pretty sure I have one of my sisters to thank for the word "oldster". Can't remember which one. Melinda, I don't suppose you know my cousin Karen? She lives in Draper. Her last name is Jack. As in, Elaine. Her husband is Eric Jack. Know the Jacks? Jami, today IS tomorrow and I AM so totally toast! Thanks for the remark about the roses--it makes me love you more! Reed--really? Even with all the roses? Heatherlyn-I kinda thought so, made me feel special. Jan--so sorry! Wendy--these people were, like, 80. You are not only decades younger but look decades younger than that. You might be a crazy driver but people will indulge you in ways they will not indulge oldsters who are crazy drivers. Fiona, I hope you have been training! My arm is starting to hurt! T--totally sounds like a great way to kill three birds iwth one stone! Anjeny has 7 kids! Or is it 8? My mom had 8 kids and she barely had time to breath. Good thing we didn't have computers and blogs back then b/c we really needed her to be breathing. LUnch is ready, I'll respond to the rest of you sweeties after I eat.

February 19, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Randi, I am glad you like it! I thought I had made it up (I have been using it for years) but there is was in Wikipedia! Just goes to show that there are no original ideas. Luisa, thank you! I'm a bit worried, too. We'll see. No more GH for me. Oops, except to play Erin. You're so on! Crash--yes, I think I needed them to help me feel calm. I went to bed last night with my head buzzing--dessert all day and then dessert for dinner instead of dinner--sheez! That's just crazy!

February 19, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Had you remembered to change your shirt from the day before, because it could be that you were distracting the other driver!

270 certainly does make for one Big Guy! You must be physically spent on those kinds of days. I hope you feel better and can get some real rest!

February 19, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Kazzy--bwwaahhhaaahahaa! Nah, they were oldsters, too old to see, too old to care. :)

February 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM

love the roses
Here's to sitting around eating chocolate after a busy day of driving around and dealing with doctors, and elementary school early outs (I had to deal with all of those yesterday too!) not to mention your book signing and lack of nutritious food and car accident. I remember watching the movie Gaslight, spooky.

February 19, 2009 at 5:56 PM

You really are amazing. The Big Guy alone is LOTS and LOTS of work and yet you write books and blog and live....

sigh...

I'm tired now. Just thinking about it.

February 19, 2009 at 6:40 PM

I am so with you on the little kids in the parking lot. My children know that they are to hold my hand or at least some article of my clothing under penalty of DEATH in the parking lot or street. Why, WHY other parents do not realize that there are large, heavy, potentially fatal pieces of metal moving around is totally beyond me.

And I'm sorry about the accident. That is such a bummer.

February 19, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Sorry, I got my days mixed up. I guess that means that you'll be feeling better a day sooner than you would have if it'd all happened today. (See now I'm mixed up all around.) Hope you are feeling better really soon. Keep the Ibuprofen going. It always hurts the most on the third day. Too bad the massage wasn't scheduled for today!

February 19, 2009 at 8:54 PM
Anonymous  

Hey, you take care of that neck. GH can be a beast on neck pain! ;) Seriously though, take good care of yourself. We all love your guts. I'm sorry about the stressful day but you always manage to be fabulous despite the hardships. :)

February 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I hate those half days too. They really mess me up. They recently remodeled my grocery store too and it got me all perplexed. Also, just to help you not feel so alone; I arrived at my doctor's appointment a whole 1 1/2 hours too early. Luckily, they squeezed me in. I am so glad our brains are restored in the resurrection. I will surely be a genius in the life to come.

February 19, 2009 at 9:30 PM

You guys make me feel so much better! More hard things happened today having to do with the Big Guy and his doctor and well meaning but totally ignorant people who are making life tough for me right now and it is so nice to read all your kind thoughts and comments! Heather and Heather EO, you really MUST stop posting comments one right after the next. H1 -I did eat lots of chocolate today--it helps, H2--you sweetie pie! You do so much more than you realize! One day you will look back and be amazed by how much living you did and how much love you spread around! Rachel--no doubt! It scares me to pieces! Jami--no doubt! But I can always go again--it was heaven! Laura--how totally sweet and kind! You make me cry! (not the neck comment, the guts comment) Katie--I hear ya! I surely wish there was some kind of brain restoration operation they could do now, though. sigh . ..

February 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM

WHAT a day! Sheesh. I hope you're okay after the bump. And after the day, too.

Those roses are gorgeous. WOW. And I love seeing your decor.

February 20, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Breathe. Just breathe. Preferably right by the roses.

They are beautiful, btw. I want to go find me some now.

February 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Okay, I get super tired staying in a five mile radius and trying to chase after my two. I have no idea how you keep up.

But I think roses must help. They always make me smile.

February 20, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Post a Comment