Super Secret GIRLS ONLY Post  

Posted by Heidi in

I was born modest (yes, that’s a link. Click on it to read a post that proves my modesty from babyhood—with illustration). What this means is that I never went in for spaghetti straps, tube tops and bare midriffs, even before I was an old married lady. I was so relieved when the 80’s brought tops that wrapped around your throat and pants dragged up to your ribs. Sure, I was known to wear my share of shape-revealing leggings but never without a nice long baggy shirt to hide the overall effect. (Baa! Baa!!)

Lately, it seems you can’t watch a commercial for denture cream without--ahem!--the girls being on display. I have to admit, I am becoming a bit accustomed to the whole thing but I still find it distracting. I can’t even begin to think how it must be for all the men out there. “What did you say? Tony’s alive and Jack just took down the main bad guy? How did I miss that?” (That would be on account of the girls attached to that female agent running behind Jack and, conveniently, just to the left.)

The other night, in the privacy of my own home and after the kids went to bed, I decided to discern if I am “that” kind of girl, i.e. one who looks lovely and natural with the girls on display. I pulled out a low cut shirt (which I own thanks to the layered look—baa!) and a wonder-bra that my husband begged me to buy a year ago (which I have worn but once) and viola!

Let me just say, I totally get the attraction. Who doesn’t love cold, prickly, fluorescent white gooseflesh? I didn’t relish the ten-pound weight gain effect either. Nevertheless, The Spouse hadn’t the slightest interest in watching the latest episode of 24, either. Who’da thunk? (Sorry--no photo due to lack of any brain activity whatsoever.)

P.S. I wrote 3,300 words of Miss D Two yesterday! Woo hoo! AND I got some time to read some blog posts, too—not commenting saves a ton of time! Who’da thunk?

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at Wednesday, February 18, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

38 wise, witty and wonderful comments

No more Snow, Murder and Mayhem?

February 18, 2009 at 11:02 AM

It's coming. I was in a hurry today.

February 18, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I have to confess to having conducted similar experiments...hee hee...

February 18, 2009 at 11:12 AM

3,300 words? You go, girl!

February 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I have never done this little experiment. I don't even know if I own a low-cut shirt. I'll have to do a little searching...

February 18, 2009 at 11:23 AM
Anonymous  

Way to go on 3300! That's awesome!

February 18, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Fun post. Guys are not that picky (thank goodness). I had a good laugh about you trying on your low cut top with your wonder bra. I actually am super grateful for good bras that put everything back in the place where it all was BEFORE I had babies. And like I said, thank goodness men are not terribly picky! But women really shouldn't be showing it all off all the time either. What is with that?

February 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM
Anonymous  

Even in my much thinner days, I have always been broad of shoulders (not to mention hips)so that my breasts are wide apart. The only way I can get the appearance of cleavage is to lie on my side...

February 18, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Bahahahaha! I could just picture you doing this! I have a bustier that I put on every now and then under my tops just to imagine what I would look like if my body hadn't been molded into a silly putty concoction by three rather large alien invasions... yeah.

February 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Kim, thanks for fessing up and making me feel not so naughty, Annette & Laura--I know! How cool is that? Erin, don't let me a bad influence on you! Yikes! I am in the basket for too many things already! Heatherlyn--I agree--what is with that? I really am getting tired of it. Pam, you crack me up!

February 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Abra--you had me scared there for a minute until I realized you were talking about your kids--bahahhaha!!

February 18, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I have plenty of low cut tops. the sad part is, I can wear them without showing any cleavage at all. That's how flat I am. It will take a lot more than a Wonder Bra to do anything about that, believe me. ;)

February 18, 2009 at 11:54 AM

how very scientific of you... and yes - I've conducted a similar successful experiment...

If my SIL is reading this she should stop here... or else she's going to go into early labor from laughing...

okay now? Shhhh... if you promise not to tell the hubby I'm sharing it in public I'll even admit that adding the variable of a barely visible temporary tattoo can pull them away from 24 AND LOST (although I would still like to watch them...)

February 18, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I was born stark naked. Maybe that's where my whole penchant for nudity comes in!

February 18, 2009 at 12:03 PM

It is super hot in here today. Good for you at getting your science project on in such a wonder bra way :)

February 18, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Lara--I'm so sorry. Truly, I am. But you're beautiful and you have a great set of lungs--you can't have everything, right? T--You CRACK ME UP!! Kristina--said from under the voluminous folds of her bright blue snuggie. Jan--science project! Yes! That means I could do it again with no guilt whatsover!! (24, you're going down!)

February 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Super secret HEIDI ONLY comment:

I think if I had been brought up differently I wouldn't be quite as modest as I am. I hate knowing that about myself, but I do.

Sometimes I do a similar experiment with my pants. In different circumstances I would not stress about the length of my shirt and short waistedness of my pants too much.

February 18, 2009 at 12:13 PM

You go girl ----Let the REAL Heidi loose!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Lisa--love your sense of humor! And I hear ya about the skirts and pants thing, except even when I was skinny, I never had a tummy I wanted to reveal. Wendy--that's right! woo hoo!

February 18, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Sadly I am in the same boat as Lara, but T has got me thinking...this whole thing is just leading me into temptation. :)

February 18, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I am modest in they way I dress publicly, but I am not stuffy and matronly like many women in their 40s. And I have always been just fine relaxing in private...cough cough

February 18, 2009 at 3:38 PM

A good bra is a godsend! Yay for your 3300 words!!! That is so awesome. You are blazing through Miss (R2) D2 (little joke, ha ha).

February 18, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I'll be honest---I'm a total prude when it comes to modesty. I'm guilty of totally judging my brother's girlfriends if they had on a (gasp!) tank-top. These same girls who I know call my sisters-in-law tell me not to be quite so modest....

February 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Good for you! On the book thing. Did you feel something like 13 trying on the revealing top? I can't say I haven't tried that too. But I totally know what you mean about the naked or falling out of their tops women plastered in every movie and commercial. It gets annoying.

February 18, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I think 3,300 words are A LOT. Way to go lady!

I was born modest too. I cannot stand sharing my pale skin any more than I have to :)

February 18, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Believe it or not I am also a MODEST girl. when it comes to dressing and everything.

I did wear some short shorts once in a while...but definitely NO belly showing EVER...

Me and ONE PIECE swim suits were best friends! :)

YEA for writing and being a genius at it!

February 18, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Oh....the miracle bra! It has fooled and trapped many a man. It's a good thing they don't always think with their top brain or we'd never get anything out of them.....LOL
I am impresses with your page output....and am also awaiting the latest in snowisodes.

February 18, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Heather--oops! I am sorry that something I said has led you into temptation BUT if it is you relaxing in private, as Kazzy says (cough cough) I don't see the harm. . .could be fun! Becky, I like your little joke! Love it, in fact! Barb--me too! It took me until age 44 which is why, Heather, I didn't feel 13 when I did it. And this is where I say, I love all you Heather's but it sure makes things confusing sometimes! Thanks Heather of the EO! Love the encouragement! Shelle--I believe you. And, hey, don't you have a birthday coming up? Christine--snowisodes! Cute!

February 18, 2009 at 6:31 PM

I am a modest girl NOW, but not naturally so. Although I totally notice when other people aren't now that I am. Lame, I know.

And 3300 words? I'm jealous. I'm shooting for a 1000 a day.

February 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness!

Did I say Oh my goodness already?

Ahem!

Was that TMI about your girls?

I was always the modest girl too, but my girls don't . . . ahem . . . demand attention in a wonder bra.

Maybe I should tell everyone that so they stop smacking me around for today's post (just because I tried to share my sunshine.) Ingrates!

Yay for 3300 words. You go, girl!

February 18, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Melanie--I don't have a little one hanging around like you do. On writing day, I don't do anything, I don't make dinner, I don't do the dishes, I don't make the bed (I don't shower) I just write. When my kids bug me, I yell at them to go away (my computer is in the living room two feet from the TV!)Blogging has really helped me to learn how to write with chaos around me & that has really helped--but on writing day, they can't even ask me for a bandaid. They have to be bleeding from their ears to even give them the time of day. Can't do that with a two year old. (My youngest is 7) Crash, I am afraid to say that I don't know this but what is TMI?

February 18, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Too much information (TMI)

Not the case regarding the book signing. Need more information. Was the owner happy? Did books sell?

February 18, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Christine--good questions--talked to him tonight. He was very happy, sold 15 books which is how many he bought for the event. I was at a book signing for a book that is in its third printing since its release about a month ago and it already in talks for a movie and he only sold about 10 . . .

February 18, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Yay! Fifteen books in an hour!

Congrats on the WB success. Nothing like a bra with uplifting potential, and it's supportive too. Who doesn't need to feel uplifted and supported from time to time?

February 18, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I also am waiting for the end of the snow story. I loves me a good/tragic tale of vacations gone bad.

Glad to hear about the bra. I need to get a new one, but can't bring me, myself, and I to go and do it.

February 19, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Jami--I am admittedly reading this first thing in the morning but I just don't get the 15 books in an hour thing? Does this mean I am stupid? Oh, wait! Yes, I sold 15 books in an hour at the signing! Yay me for figuring it out! woo hoo! Nutty--I hears ya.

February 19, 2009 at 7:13 AM

You are awesome on the word count and, yeah, I'm not so hot on exposing myself either and, frankly, wonder why anyone larger than a size 4 does.

February 20, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Heidi, Just want you to know that I do read your blog...I really enjoy it and would love to have you sign my book. I read Tara's at Christmas, then got home and bought my own...I take my family loyalty very seriously! Love, Debbie

February 25, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Post a Comment