Just Trying To Remember To Breathe . . .  

Posted by Heidi in

It has been suggested that I put off the finale of my stinky murder-in-the-snow story to fill you in on all the book signing news. I figured you were all sick to death of Miss D by now but since I don't have time today to do the rest of my story justice, I'm game! Above is a picture of my lovely cake for the after-party (sounds so Oscar Night, doesn't it?) It's chocolate mousse under all that black gel. I probably wasn't thinking clearly when I okay'd that. . . we're all going to be walking around with black teeth, I fear. (I'll be sure to bring my camera so you can verify.)


These are the dark chocolate tarts I requested with D's on them (for Delacourt, natch!) This no-wheat gal can't wait for her day of debauchery!


These are the sugar cookies I spent a chunk of valuable time and energy baking and decorating yesterday. When I put them all away, lovingly stored between sheets of wax paper, the frosting was hard as a rock (or as hard as you would ever want frosting to be) but when I peeled back layer after layer to take a photo, I found this tragic sight. Pretty much all of them look this way. Oh well. At least they will taste good. I hope. I won't know until tomorrow--I can't risk any wheat-induced bloating until after I stand up in front of people at the book signing. Because, it's not just a signing. I have to speechify. I am one of those weird people who loves to speak in public (and in private and in my head if everyone has run screaming from my pontificating presence) yet I am terrified about this. Who knew? Anywho, one cookie can add several inches to my waist line within moments. Scary. I know.
There are more goodies being delivered by the bakery in the morning. I'm so excited! After eating up all that great loot and visiting with some great friends including my Avalon partner in crime, Shirley Marks, I am taking Jami (so excited to meet Jami! I am lucky she lives somewhat close!) and her sister to dinner at Applebee's whilst The Spouse makes sure everything (clothes, clean kids) is ready for church in the morning. Now, that's true love!!
(Just a reminder that today is the last day to enter the contest at Seriously So Blessed wherein many wonderful prizes will be awarded including a signed copy of Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind!) I'll be back on Monday (or perhaps Sunday if I have a brain after all the wheat--because I am a teensy tiny bit allergic to it which is why I don't generally eat it which is why I am using this book signing combined with Valentines Day to do justifiable homicide to my internal organs--brain included).

This entry was posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 at Friday, February 13, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

26 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Man, now I DEFINITELY wish I had been there! I mean, it would have been great to meet you and all, but those look delicious!

February 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM
Anonymous  

Good luck with today! I'm sure you'll do awesome! And those cookies DO look delish!

Have a wonderful day!!!

February 13, 2009 at 10:16 AM

All of the treats look so wonderful and go well with the feeling of the book! Wish I could come and hear you speak. I enjoy public speaking too. I think it's fun! Best wishes, friend!

February 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Yay! I feel so special! (I'm bringing a toothbrush!)

February 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Oh, it is going to be totally fabulous!! I really wish I could come and support you and get my book autographed. Can't wait to see if the teeth turn black :-).

February 13, 2009 at 10:40 AM

good luck! You'll do great!

February 13, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I'm so excited for you---good luck!

February 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM

You get to meet Jami? So jealous!

Best of luck!

(Now I want a tart.)

February 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I LOVE you guys!!

February 13, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Oooh...that cake is a beauty!

Good luck with the signing and the party and especially with surviving all of the wheat consumption.

February 13, 2009 at 11:49 AM

How exciting! And I'm a bit jealous that you don't usually get nervous speaking in front of people. You will be fine this time too!!

February 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM

I think the baked goods will be awesome!

February 13, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Awesome goodies. So perfect. Your lacy cookies still look fine. I'd eat one. Just kidding. Id' eat 45. And that cake is just excellent.

Also, this morning a guest staying with us wanted to use my computer and when he got on, my Google Reader was open to the post with the picture of the Little Guy and my he could not get over that picture. He said it was so amazing and he almost wanted to print in out (Okay, now that just sounds creepy, but I assure you this guy is not remotely creepy.)

February 13, 2009 at 12:43 PM

here's to hoping the speechifying is not terrifying... I'd love to be there, and not just for the yummy treats, though I'd certainly have to overlook the slightly imperfect frosting on more than one of those cookies...

February 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM

You guys are so great! Lisa--I would LET you eat 45 b/c anyone with a guest who wants to print up a pic of my Little Guy deserves it! (really, that made my day--now when he grows up to be super spoiled, everyone will know how totally justifiable it was of me to treat him like he is some kind of delicious wheat infested cake!). T, Lara, Erin, Heidi--I would so love to have all of you there--T, don't worry about the imperfect frosting b/c Lisa has that covered (is this is a good time to admit I accidentally poured half a bottle of almond flavoring into them? I got MOST Of it out . . .)

February 13, 2009 at 12:57 PM

The chocolate tart are D-dorable!

Cindy

February 13, 2009 at 1:21 PM

That's alot of treats..........good luck with LOTS of book sales. I am excited that I know someone famous.....an actual author. It's awesome

February 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I dont' usually mind speaking in front of others either. We are kindred spirits that way.

Best wishes for the speechifying and the gorging on sweet baked goods afterwards.

February 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Oh my gosh!! Treats tooo!! I am missing out on treats???? RUDE!!!

February 13, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I'm so excited for the big day...now that I have seen pics of the treats I'm thinking this might be the highlight of my Valentine's Day!

February 13, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Pretty creative with the picture! And those other pictures look tasty yum yum! Did you bake all of those? Because if you did, we might have to trade... I'll cook you a big dinner if you bake me treats :)

February 13, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I'm one of those weirdos who enjoys public speaking too! And I've just discovered something new...Maybe a wheat allergy is MY problem too! Sounds like what I deal with...

Everything looks fabulous, and you are so, so ready for tonight! I just know it will go well...and Valentine's is perfect!

Love you!

February 14, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Confession: every time I go to Costco, I drift into a daydream where I spend time planning all the things I would buy/make for my someday future book release party while I cruise the aisles. And you get to DO IT. How cool is that?

Super cool.

February 14, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Even though the black frosting might cause some problems, it was necessary for the cake to be "authentic." I love it. I hope you have a wonderful book signing. That's a major event!

February 14, 2009 at 1:22 PM

If only I had a wheat allergy ... my sweet tooth is going to make me very fat.

February 14, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Whoa! That black frosting is amazing!!!

February 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Post a Comment