I'm Having A Bit Of A Panic Attack But Please Don't Take It Personally  

Posted by Heidi in

Things have been getting a bit out of hand lately. This month, especially, is causing extreme anxiety with all the things I have committed myself to. I didn’t mean to over-commit but sometimes things just happen when you aren’t looking---like when you are busy blogging or working on a sequel to your novel. Yep. I woke up to an avalanche of realization this morning and am currently in the midst of a little panic attack. (I kid you not, it’s actually getting a bit hard to breathe--but look! I’m still blogging!)

This is exactly why I spent the last two Saturdays working on my new organization station. I have been lusting after one of these for years, however, since the five of us (and the dog) live in 1,000 square feet of cozy cottage, I have never had room. Thanks to those magazines that get the covet going in my heart, my brain finally went into overdrive and came up with an idea. How about turning the coat closet into something more useful than a place to hang coats? (And the ironing board? And the broom? And the purses and VHS tapes we don’t watch anymore and the framed photos that have no wallspace etc etc etc?)


This photo was taken after I had removed most of the coats . . .just saying . . .

It’s California for pity sakes! How many coats does one family need? (I got rid of quite a few but the rest are still living on a chair in the living room as are the broom, dustpan and ironing board.) But look what I got instead!

Isn't the white board cool? It's a sheet that self adheres by Post-its. The frame is just because I'm annal.

The Spouse drilled a hole in the wall through which we passed the cord to the Middle Child's bedroom light socket. It looks pretty bad on her side but beauty knows no pain. The white baskets hold gloves, scarfs and my very important cowl and finger-less gloves I wear on marathon writing days, made for me by Shirley Marks, a good friend who also writes for Avalon Books.

The file box is awaiting the fulfillment of its role as a place to put all those darn papers that multiply like bunnies, such as permission slips, shot records, bills, invoices, pages torn from magazines to be later perused in a quest to further stoke the fires of coveteousnous . . .

Our 72 hour emergency kits live behind the pretty floral curtain as well as The Spouse's briefcase when he gets home from work . . .

The pretty box on the top shelf is one of my favorite things. I bought it for a song at a discount store because it looked like this:


I recovered it with the fabric from a dress it would take a deal with the devil to ever fit into again but now I get to look at its loveliness every single day! (I store gift bags and tissue paper in it).




The chair it is reposing on was a Christmas gift. It was a thrift store buy that I couldn't justify buying myself since I first spied it about four days before Christmas. It used to be 70's pressed wood brown with with dark blue corduroy fabric. It’s adorable now if I do say so myself (well, when it isn’t wearing all the extra coats from the closet). (The ironing board and iron, umbrellas, etc still are looking for a place to live, as well. Anyone renting out space?)



On another note . . . .



My progress on Miss D Two has been a bit slower the last two weeks. I only wrote 1700 words last week and 2500 yesterday but that is still pretty respectable. I keep wondering where in the world those freaking 4,000 word days have gone to but I’m keeping the light on for them. (If you are new here and think you might want to see what Miss D is all about, you can find Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind in one of 360 libraries around the U.S. If your library doesn’t have one, you can request that they buy it. Or, if you feel that you must have one for yourself, you can order it at Amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com or even target.com! I’m sure they’ll be happy you stopped by (and maybe the constriction around my lungs will ease a little. But no pressure!)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at Wednesday, March 11, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

48 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Oh my gosh! That is amazing! What a very, very cool idea.

March 11, 2009 at 11:13 AM

It's a great space! Nicely done.

March 11, 2009 at 11:19 AM

While you are over-committing, would you like to come do my place?

Lovely. Quite charming.

Now just remember to breathe. Really breathing needs to be at the top of your to-do list. Everyday. <3

March 11, 2009 at 11:23 AM

That thingy at the end of my comment is a heart.

March 11, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I know how you feel. I seem to overcommit on a regular basis and then end up having a day where I feel like my chest is being crushed under the weight of it all.

Sorry you are feeling overwhelmed, but if it's any consolation at all, your "station" rocks! And that chair is fabulous.

March 11, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Look at your dedication - still blogging through a panic attack!

And I love the closet. Love it.
Too bad you still need all that other lame stuff.

Can the kids' coats go in their own bedrooms? That's what my kids do!

March 11, 2009 at 11:39 AM

WOW, Heidi! Look at you! I'm not sure if your make-overs make you crafty or handy do-it-yourself-y or what but I DO know that they make you AWESOME! Most excellent.

March 11, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Who needs ironing boards when you can have an organization station? Especially THAT one?

I say, get rid of the irongng board. I use mine about once a year. :)

March 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Ah,you guys are so sweet! Jami--thanks for pointing that out about the heart--I didn't get it. But you knew that, didn't you? Too smart for your own britches! Sue--really? Does blogging help? Cause so far I'm still feeling pretty panicky. Randi--YES, that's what I did. It's me. I have SOOO many coats b/c I am always cold and no one gets to see my actual clothes so I like to have lots of cute coats. My closet is full so I guess I will have to ditch some more . . .Lisa--thanks! It was so much fun! But now that I know what the heck is going on in my life, I'm feeling freaked out. How's that for a how-do-you-do?

March 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Oh look at you go Miss Heidi. I love it. I love it when I do something like that. It feels so goooooooood.

You are so cute. And about your panic . . . deep breaths. Count ten . . . now backwards . . . now forwards again . . . okay now turn on some Mozart and start blogging your brains out.

I'm amazed you are able to pump out so many words considering your vocabulary. HIGH FIVE!

March 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Lara--I only use mine on Sunday? And I'm an old lady. Hey, anyone want to buy an ironing board that was only used on Sunday's by an old lady?

March 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Crash--thanks! I guess filling my lungs a little would help. ANd chocolate. I'm out. I guess I had better go shopping.

March 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Love the ideas very much. That is the prettiest storage place for a 72 hr. kit ever. At least you will flee seeing one last pretty thing :)

Life is full enough and then we get more. Panic days are simply no fun. Just breath. I will have to look at Target for your goodie.

March 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM

i loooove organizing! love the closet! it looks awesome! and your chair is beautiful too. that's sure something to be pleased about. :)

March 11, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I can totally relate to over committing yourself. I can't say no, I often commit myself to multiple things in a day. At the same time. When I'll be going out of town. (Yes, I did that.) But your closet! YOUR CLOSET! Completely adorable! I really love your french country style--so pretty! It will be okay, just take it one day at a time, thats all you can do! :)

March 11, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Jan--sadly, my book can't be found at Target===just target.com and amazon.com and b&n.com, etc. . . Jessica--thanks, you sweetie-pie! Melinda, Wow! that must be some kind of record. I think I have only committed myself to one thing when I was going to be out of town (but if you count the trip, that's two!).

March 11, 2009 at 12:19 PM
Anonymous  

Lovely lil' space! Good job on the wordcount. 4000 in one day is a lot to ask. Just celebrate the little accomplishments. You're progressing!

March 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Oh isn't that adorable?!?! Such pretty pink lovelies tucked away in an efficient space. Great job!

Cindy

March 11, 2009 at 12:27 PM

"I wish I could be as cool as you... but I can't so I won't - no not this time..."

You Rock!

March 11, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Okay! we are kindred spirits! I love everything! AND I LOVE LURVE JE TAIME ADORE HEART the pink calender!!!! That is awesome!!!!!

March 11, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Those pictures totally make me feel like organizing. It looks so CLEAN and NICE!

March 11, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Love your style! It looks like a cozy, quaint, and inspiring space!

March 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Wow! Your closet is awesome! Come do mine, but it would take forever to get here. oh well!

As far as the writing, I am still very impressed.

Keep on keeping on!

March 11, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Laura--good point! At this rate I am almost halfway done--and I just started 6 weeks ago, so that is pretty awesome! I'm starting to get excited! Cindy--did I tell you about the Ballet Slipper pink spray paint at Walmart? Abra--is that a lyric from a song? You are so sweet! Sabrina--we totally are kindred spirits! And the frame is one of those plastic ones that used to have a mirror in it--cheap cheap cheap at a garage sale. Barb--it is so nice to have that little area of control that I can feel good about every day. Yay! Jenna--welcome to my blog! Thanks for your comment! Scarlet--thanks! I AM going to be your way next month . . . .I would love to meet you (but I might have to skip the closet this time around)

March 11, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Now it is my turn to do the coveting! Are you hiring out for redecorating? My house is a decent size but the layout and design is crap and so I have been trying to make due with what I have. You have serious talent.

PS- about the light in the closet- I always tell my girls "Pain for beauty." It's too true, isn't it?

March 11, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Great use of space! When we lived in LA we used a closet kind of like that. It was great! I like your chair too.

March 11, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I love a good makeover project.

You have my dream job! I have been meaning to see if one of my local libraries has your book. If not - I'll just have to buy it.

March 11, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Julie--I love to decorate. It's just so much fun for me which is why I have two dollhouses. I can't afford to redecorate my own house (another reason why I have stooped to decorating closets!)Kazzyy--really! Great minds think alike! Kate--hey, I would love that but I hate that it actually costs money--hopefully you can find it at the library. Kim--your cleaning jag has inspired me!

March 11, 2009 at 2:01 PM

The closet is gorgeous!!!! the photo at the end is fun --how proud you must be to have your book in libraries!!!!!!!

March 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Lov'n that chair.
Bless your heart to take time out of your nervous breakdown to show your lovely decorating skills! If we all could function that well while not breathing....

March 11, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Awesome job! I love getting organized. Not that I do it very often. Too busy blogging usually.

March 11, 2009 at 3:14 PM
Anonymous  

What great projects! I concur with all who applauded the frame around the white board. Also love the dress-turned-box. What could I make out of all those dresses that will never again squeeze over these hips?

March 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Wendy--it is pretty cool! And there is a site you can go to that will show how many books are checked out and stuff. Love it! Megz--I guess I should be happy that the glass is half full, huh? Thanks for the reminder! Becky--me too!

March 11, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Pam--I know, huh? Makes me glad I saved so many of them. (Course, I have to make room for all the coats, now . .. )

March 11, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Anonymous  

is that your entry into the Got Org contest?

awesome stuff!!!!

March 11, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Did you get a picture of the dress before? How did you attach it to the box?

March 11, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Stacey--is there a got org contest? I haven't been following that blog very well--my brain lacks organization, it seems. Christine--I just cut pieces to fit and glued it on with fabric tack. That stuff is so great! I wish I had taken a picture of the dress before--I think I have one of my wearing it somewhere . . .

March 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Wow I am so impressed. I love victorian looking things. It is so pretty. If it were me I would just stand there all day long looking at it. Or better yet close myself by closing the door and just soak in the prettiness.

March 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM

That is seriously SO CUTE! I love it. You're so creative, and on multiple levels. Awesome.

March 11, 2009 at 6:59 PM

That is way too pretty to be a real organizing area. my organizing areas looks a lot like a laundry basket filled with papers.

March 11, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Oh, my word! I LOVE what you have done with your closet. My goodness! (And I did notice all that pink! :-) I have so many closets crying out in desperation for any type of organization at all. I would love to be able to have them end up looking like yours!

March 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Nutty--I do sometimes just open the door, turn on the light and bask. I would leave the door open all the time but it cuts out the light from my front door window. I paid too much money for a front door with a window to get in the way of that! Melanie--thank you!! You're sweet! Heidi--give it some time, I'm sure it will look like a disaster area soon (thank goodness I can just shut the door) Joy--It was a fun project--it took two Saturdays and more money than I want to admit but I think it will be worth it once I can get rid of all the stuff that ended up in the house . . .

March 11, 2009 at 8:17 PM

I love the closet. I need to find the time to put together something like that.

March 11, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I've been trying to figure out a way to fit scrapbook stuff, food storage, out of season holiday decor and 72 hour kits into my storage area... it may happen some day - but it will never be done AND cute - way to go!

March 11, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I love seeing people come up with brilliant organizational ideas because it helps me try to solve my own o. problems.

Well done!

March 13, 2009 at 10:07 AM

I covet your closet! It's both beautiful and functional! Impressive.

Take a deep breath. And, only 1700 and 2500 word days? that's still quite a bit of writing. Nice work!

March 13, 2009 at 10:46 AM

The closet looks GREAT. What a fun project. My kids WISH that I would do something so cool with their closets. It's so much fun to have a space like that tucked away!

March 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Thanks you guys!

March 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Post a Comment