Springing Back Is Hard To Do (rilly rilly rilly hard!)  

Posted by Heidi in


For those of you who didn’t have to get up before ten a.m. yesterday, today is the first day of daylight savings time--which means you aren’t yet totally feeling the pain. For moi, who had church yesterday morning at nine, (which really meant eight) (which meant I had to get up before the birds) (and the sun) this morning was some kind of agonizing, a la Guantanamo Bay (no disrespect to those who have experienced it) (by that I mean, Guantanamo Bay, though I doubt any of you currently read my blog) (just saying.)

This morning was worse than I had expected. It might have something to do with those two large brownies I had just before bed. (Or not. I’m not ready to fully condemn. I have a soft spot for brownies even if they are on the top of my no-no list). Every moment I stayed in bed after the alarm went off (it was our old alarm. Jeeves has been relegated to the closet. For some reason he has started ticking SUPER DUPER loud, preventing me from experiencing deep and refreshing sleep) was simply extending the torture, but I just couldn’t seem to move.

I told The Spouse, “I am currently getting out of bed. I’m just moving so slowly, you can’t see any physical evidence as of yet. Get back to me in an hour. Or, better yet, tomorrow”.

A few moments later, I told the Spouse (who is emotionally invested in the idea of me getting up and making his lunch before he goes to work), “I AM getting out of bed. Honest! If you had one of those slow motion cameras, you know, the kind that can track the progress of a cloud on a windless day or the unfurling of a flower over the course of the afternoon, you would be able to tell that I am currently getting up!”
A few minutes later I said, “Okay, really! If you had one of those special x-ray machines, you would see that the cells from the right side of my body are beginning to shift to the left, facilitating my eventual roll-out.”

He was buying none of it. He whipped open the curtains so the sun would shine in my eyes causing more agonizing torture-- but the sun was still sluggish. So, he turned on all the lights in the room, turned up the radio and put Mr. Jeeves (tick TICK TOCKKKKK) right next to my ear.

And so I’m up!

(I have some fun and interesting things to blog about this week—a closet I turned into an organization station that is so flippin’ cute I have to keep opening the door and taking a peek, a report on the progress of Miss D Two which I will be working on tomorrow instead of blogging and guess what? We had an actual bona fide murder in our little “Mayberry RFD” town on Saturday—the first in 13 years—and it was a very public, random, scandalous affair. My theory is that the perp went stark raving mad in anticipation of the time change but I’ll have to get back to you on that.)

This entry was posted on Monday, March 9, 2009 at Monday, March 09, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

47 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I have church at 11, but I forgot it was DST, and I have not been getting any sleep, and woke up with a pounding headache. Not fun.

March 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I am so glad we don't bother with that silly Daylight Savings Time business in Arizona.

March 9, 2009 at 10:31 AM

thinking the same thing here Sue..this is my first year not to spring forward..
so what is my excuse. no sleep last night i think.

March 9, 2009 at 10:38 AM

This time of year I always wish I could move back to Arizona. Blah.

It was rather amusing yesterday morning at church though (I also have it at 9:00). I had had such a rough time getting my kids to wake up and get ready that I barely made it on time, but I was relieved to see that there were maybe 20 people in the entire chapel at start time. And it was really amusing to see how many people walked in while we were singing the closing hymn, sat down in the front thinking it was the opening hymn, and were a little (okay, a lot) confused when we all stood up and left after the prayer. I think that was half the ward.

March 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Lara-bwaahhhaahaaaa! That is too funny! We didn't have too many to start out with either, but they were just a little late, not THAT late. Yikes! Kristina--so sorry! It stinks to not sleep well. Sue--SUE! You're Sue! yay! Thanks for filling me in. I see Arizona in my future. Gramee (can I call you Linda?) that bright sun shining in your eyes before you are really ready to get up might have something to do with it. Regardelss, I still see Arizona in my future.

March 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM
Anonymous  

A murder in your little town, huh? More fuel for the fodder (brain fodder...not dead body fodder. Eww.) That IS wild!

I'm sorry about the daylight savings. Me no likey either. Time switches = grouchy L.T. and no one likes grouchy L.T.

March 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Yep, one of the things I love best about AZ: NO time changes. We have way too much sunshine here as is. On my mission I had to deal with the whole spring forward/fall back and the spring was awful!! Maybe next year you should buy the spouse a frozen meal to take for lunch on this blessed day of the year. Just a thought!

March 9, 2009 at 10:53 AM

A good husband would have left you there and run out to get that motion tracker thing, like you suggested. I guess every husband has his faults.

Daylight savings doesn't come to Poland for a few more weeks (I think). All our branches start at ten, but when you have a 2 hour drive, it's just not a good thing.

March 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I actually starting commenting on your post at 5:32 this morning, but, like you, my movements today are infinitesimally slow. I actually reset every clock in the house on Sunday, except for my bedside clock. Even the clock thought it was too early to get up. Unfortunately, the dog did not.

March 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM

You are such a hoot! I've tried this line of reasoning on Neil before but alas, he's too clever for me.

March 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I loathe daylight savings, its so stupid really just annoying! We had church at eleven and still had people coming in at the last hymn! hehe

March 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM

You are too funny! I have thought those things while in bed, just not that coherently! lol

March 9, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Laura--sadly, the grouchies last at least a week in this case. Yuck! Becky--I like that thought! It would require a lot of forethought, tho--not my forte (I think I'll put a note on my 2010 calendar!) Lisa--you are a saint for living there. Really. I know you love it but still . . ..Helen--you are too funny! (sorry about the dog. We have one. She's the most high maintenance of all of our kids!) Kim--I think it is worth staying up at night to think of a way to outwit him. You can do it! Melinda--I was hoping we would see some of that but maybe they were smart enough to stay out in the lobby, eh? (or do they call it foyer where you are?) Randi--you have coherent thoughts? (JK. I couldn't resist.)

March 9, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Murder, Mayhem, Miss D, and M...organization... (sorry, sometimes witty just isn't working...)

Our church is at 9:30 - I got there on time, the girls hair was even done, but I almost fell asleep during primary :)

March 9, 2009 at 1:23 PM
Anonymous  

We have late Church, but I got up early (after arriving home at 1:30a.m. following a fabulous girls night out and finding two of my children still awake and talking via live messenger with their dad in Japan) to put the finishing touches on my Sacrament meeting talk and my Sunday School lesson. I was very grateful that I had set the alarm, because I had totally forgotten about DST. Daughter number two amidst much grumbling and complaining wanted to know why we do it. I tried to explain the whole energy saving aspect of it, but honestly, here in the Pacific Northwest it's a little ridiculous. With DST, it means we have to wait until 10:30 on the fourth of July before it's dark enough for fireworks, and when we go to the double feature at the drive in movies, they have to wait so late to start that we don't get home till after 2am.

March 9, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Oh I love when you do something crafty and fun and you have to keep looking at it. So happy for you and your accomplishment. Can't wait to see it.

I had a hard time climbing out of bed too. This is so not fair.

March 9, 2009 at 2:15 PM

I have been so sleepy today that I am really struggling to keep my eyes open. You wouldn't think one hour would make that much of a difference, huh?

Post a photo of your new organization place? I need some inspiration here!

March 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Believe it or not, I was happy to wake up this morning. Wait. I wasn't happy to wake, but I was happy that the clock said 7 rather than 6. My boys are early risers adn the time change has tricked them forward. But I still feel like I'm walking in a fog. Like usual :)

March 9, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Agonizing is right! Who thought up Springing forward? Couldn't we just keep Falling back? That would be so much more pleasant.

March 9, 2009 at 3:04 PM

As much as I love the extra sunshine hour, I'm not sure losing the sleep hour is worth it yet. Worse, my husband had to start the first day of a 3-week seminary subbing stint today and he was REALLY feeling the pain this morning. Poor guy.

March 9, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Jami--are you saying that it is actually springing foreward and not falling back? I have displayed my ignorance (or confusion, or both) for all the world to see. How embarrassing! T--I think your witty is working just fine! Pam--wow! How do you do it? Jan and Kazzy--photos to come on Wednesday, Heather--it DOES work out great when your kids are early risers, that's for sure! (I have never had that problem, thank goodness!)

March 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Melanie--yikes! That would be awful!! So sorry!

March 9, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Considering I am a 4:30 a.m.riser I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone who gets to sleep past 6. I am just totally jealous of you. At 4:30 there is no sun to get in my eyes, just a bright moon on occasion. I have learned to wake up well and quickly, but don't try talking to me after 9 p.m. on a school night. I die around then.

March 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I totally spaced DST. Good thing my phone, which is also my alarm clock, automatically updates for DST so I was NOT an hour early for work. :-)

Trying to do naptimes and bedtimes for the littlest two has been chalenging, though.

March 9, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I like your theory about what caused the murder. It's funny. Even though, murder, of course, is not.

I try, from time to time, to make lunch for my hubby to take to work. It is such a loving, thoughtful gesture. But inevitably he forgets to bring it with him anyway ... You are a lovely person to do that for your husband. :)

March 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Joy--I would hate the lot of us, too, if I had to get up that early. I would probably hate everyone and everything! Heidi--isn't technology wonderful? Heatherlyn, well, I rarely make dinner so I make sure everyone has a really good lunch. He would make it himself if he had time--and would get up earlier to do it if he knew ahead of time--or would just buy lunch if I woke up sick and he didn't have time . .. it's happened.

March 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I'm glad you remembered to get up earlier. We didn't. And it was hard.

March 9, 2009 at 9:03 PM

sounds like a fun week around here! have to say waking up in the dark was not easy for my kiddos this morning. My hubby was cursing the time change but it was nice this afternoon when the kids could play outside a bit later!

March 9, 2009 at 9:23 PM

I hate daylight savings too. That combined with a baby who wakes up several times a night still makes for a cranky week. I'm pondering a new state for our residence where they don't observe such silliness.

March 9, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Rachel--bummer! As I write this, it is 9:30 PM which means it's really only 8:30 PM the old time and I am entirely ready to go to bed! Fiona--yes--my kids thought it was great! One of the many reasons I love the light, bright weather. Jen--too bad you would have to take that baby with ya, huh? (No! JK! He's the best baby ever! Except, apparently, at night . . .)

March 9, 2009 at 9:32 PM

We don't have daylight savings so nani nani boo boo!

And can't wait to hear all the exciting blogs this week.

Have fun writing MISS D and not blogging tomorrow!

March 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Oh I didn't mean it that way. I just hate the Spring thing. Robbing me of sleep. I think they should give me an extra hour of sleep twice a year. Such a good plan, but no one ever takes me up on it!

March 10, 2009 at 7:22 AM

And this morning, lo and behold, we have snow.

Yes, daylight savings time does some weird things.

Be sure to check out my giveaway!

March 10, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Daylight saving time: just one more bane of my existence.

March 10, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Yeah... I was at work by seven Sunday morning...

March 10, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Amen sister. I feel your pain as well.

March 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Oh. Mygosh. You're so stinkin' funny. Coming up with your hilarious "I AM getting out of bed" comments would have been so much harder on my brain than just, well, getting out of bed.

But I'm with you. Springing forward is such a pain!!!

March 10, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I have been late to work everyday so far this week. It doesn't help that we've had 30 degree temperatures. I don't like springing forward at all! So I am completely on your side on this. I say the husband should ease up a bit :-)

March 10, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I totally understand the "perps" motive regarding daylight saving time --it tends to put murderous thoughts into ones head. I HATE MORNINGS. I don't need it to come any earlier. That was so dang funny how you described your "getting up" (even thought one can't really see physically evidence --it is happening) People just aren't as "deep" as you Heidi.

March 10, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Crash--don't rub it in! It's been so hard! My kids are turning murderous! Jami--you mean that little overnight trip without your kids didn't store up enough extra sleep to last at least a year? No? Sorry! Pink (Jasmine, right?) we had snow, here, too, but here they call it "frost". Not sure why--it was a pretty thick blanket of it, too. Brrrr!! Becky-they have DST in Alaska? Really? Don't you already have enough problems with tons of dark and tons of sun? Abra--yuck!! Nutty--we can be nutty and in pain together. Brillig--thanks! I heart that comment! Marivic--I know! What's with this cold snap? Wendy--yes, a bit too deep for my own good, I fear. Let me just make it clear that I have to get up for my kids, too. I only get out of bed about a half hour before we leave to start school drop offs. In my pajamas. And glasses.

March 10, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I was "traveling" on Sunday- don't tell my Bishop- so I HAD to miss church, but ours is at 11, so not quite as bad. I am sad for you! Glad you survived, though. Glad to be back, checking your blog!

March 10, 2009 at 10:36 PM

You could always move to AZ. We don't have daylight saving time here.
xoxox

March 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Daylight savings is obsolete and I want it repealed on the next ballot.

But i love your "Currently getting up" description so much I can hardly stand it. This morning I fell back asleep after my alarm went off, and was dreaming that I was getting ready: fixing my hair, making breakfast, kissing my husband, etc. What a blow to wake up and realize I had done none of that!

March 10, 2009 at 11:33 PM

My family still has not recovered from the stupid time change. Next time we should change a half hour and then never do it again!

March 11, 2009 at 5:10 AM

Julie--Mums the word! Tara--I'm thinking I'm going to end up there someday, what with the pain I have with the humidity here. Charrette-I would be suicidal. Seriously. Glad YOU'RE not! Heidi--I am thinking we should just get rid of it, too. It just messes with everyone's brain! It's been a bit better this morning, though . ..

March 11, 2009 at 7:12 AM

It's been agony this year. I'll get adjusted about the time it changes again. Maybe we should do away with the change. . .

March 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

You are so funny. I loved your many descriptions of attempting to get out of bed.

March 16, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Post a Comment