Miss Delacourt Has Her Portrait Painted  

Posted by Heidi in

You must know that I love my book cover. Love, love, love it! But all those years that Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind sat unpublished in a box (14 long ones where-in Miss D was trapped like a genie in a bottle with nothing to do but twiddle her thumbs) I cherished hopes of Ginny having her portrait painted like all the other romance heroines. I fantasized how her gray eyes would have just that hint of green, how her glossy chestnut locks would gleam in the light of the candles and wondered in which gown the artist would choose to depict her. Sadly, it was not to be.

Recently, Alyson of New England Living shared the folk art painting she had done of her family and I was smitten! I went immediately to the Audrey Eclectic site and oohed and aahed. When I saw that Heather, the artist, had been commissioned to paint the heroine of other novels, Miss D started a furious whispering in my ear. “Why shouldn’t I have my portrait done? Why shouldn’t I be immortalized in paint? Why shouldn’t everyone see my cheeks blush madly for all time?” Finally, I just couldn’t take it anymore so I emailed Heather and yesterday this beauty came in the mail.

Ginny in the Roses by Heather Sleightholm
Miss D couldn't be more pleased.

This entry was posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at Thursday, March 26, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

44 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I love it! What a beautiful picture, and so worthy of Miss D.!

March 26, 2009 at 10:32 AM

wow, i love it! it's so beautiful! what a talented artist!

March 26, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I'm thinking it is perfect.

March 26, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I absolutely love it. You could have it copied and sell prints, I'm sure. Gorgeous! I hope she makes an appearance in your next book!

March 26, 2009 at 10:41 AM

It's fabulous!

Ever since Alyson posted hers, I've been wanting one, too. Maybe for my birthday. I'm glad you got one. :)

March 26, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Rebecca--you beat out Kristina for number one! I had better see if she is sick or hospitalized or something! Christy--wouldn't that be fun but I think the artist might take exception to that. However, I am sure she would love the compliment!

March 26, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Lara--this one is on canvas which is very reasonably priced. I highly recommend it. Obviously.

March 26, 2009 at 10:43 AM

GORGEOUS!

March 26, 2009 at 10:46 AM

That is really really cool. She looks beautiful! I love it!

March 26, 2009 at 10:51 AM

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love it!

March 26, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Yay!!! So happy you got yours, Heidi! She's a beauty and she deserved to be immortalized.

Now I need to find me a copy of Miss D and read away.

March 26, 2009 at 10:56 AM

It's gorgeous!!

March 26, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Oh, she's lovely! I really do love that picture. They style is just really cute/nice. Maybe you can get her onto the cover at the next printing. . . (I think it's so weird that writers don't get to choose things like that.)

March 26, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Miss D is so very lucky! What a great painting.

March 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Lisa--that's a fun idea but IF I get to choose anything at all whatsoever for Miss D Two, I already have something pretty spectacular in mind. . . Kristina--where have you been? We were getting worried . ..

March 26, 2009 at 11:44 AM
Anonymous  

HOW FRICKIN' AWESOME IS THAT?!!?!

Oh Heather of the fabulous painting, I just may have to patronize you!

Seriously, Heids, it's gorgeous! Are you in love?

March 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM
Anonymous  

How fun is that?! I bet you'll double your weekly word output now that Miss D is so pleased and you have the portrait to inspire you.

March 26, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I kind of feel guilty that I read your blog but haven't quite gotten around to reading your book! I think I need to take a trip to Amazon . . .
She is lovely, by the way.

March 26, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Aw, Miss Ginny, she knows what she wants and she gets it, obviously! She was a joy to paint. I need to read the rest of her story! It was just getting good ;)

So happy you liked how it turned out :)

~Heather

March 26, 2009 at 12:35 PM

That is just beautiful! I love it!!

March 26, 2009 at 12:37 PM

So cool! I'm glad you got it, and I love how it matches your decore, so pretty! Thats some exciting stuff! :)

March 26, 2009 at 12:43 PM

That really is quite phenomenal. Glad Miss D spoke up about getting the portrait done.

March 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Thanks you guys! I could name you each and say thanks to you individually which totally makes me think of the scene in Finian's Rainbow when Susan suddenly starts talking and everyone is congratulating her ... anyway, thanks you guys! And Laura, yes, I do totally love it! And Barb, you are totally funny! And Melinda, it does--on purpose! Heather is great! And Heather--I would love that! And Rachel--I hate that it costs so much money. Check the library first. And Pam--hee hee--I think I'll have to move her to the computer desk when I write, huh?

March 26, 2009 at 1:02 PM

You should petition your publisher to use it on the cover or in MD2! I love it that much!!

March 26, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Very, very cute. I loved the one Alyson had done.

March 26, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Such a cool medium. I enjoy folk art a lot. Growing up back East it was pretty popular. Now, I would LOVE to see a Picasso-esque version. :)

March 26, 2009 at 2:39 PM

IT'S GREAT! OMH, I LOVE IT!

(I'm a little excited for you.)

March 26, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Wow, that is sooo coool!!! She's so cute. Where are you going to hang it?

March 26, 2009 at 3:12 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
March 26, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Yeah, somehow I pressed that button twice. Sorry =)

March 26, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Scarlet--you are forgiven for pushing the button twice b/c I am mag (wait, have to go look this word up) magnimonious that way. I am going to frame it and so far I really like it leaning against the mirror over the mantel. Luisa--so, is there any chance that "h" stand for H*ll? Love it! Kazzy--picasso-esque is a great idea! I wonder if there is a computer program that would do something like that? Becky--a popular sentiment to be sure!

March 26, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I love it!

March 26, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Way. Cool.

March 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM

THAT - is absolutely gorgeous. I would totally hang something like that in my house!!! PERFECT

March 26, 2009 at 7:39 PM

She is beautiful! I want one for me!!!! I covet!

March 26, 2009 at 8:35 PM

The painting looks great.
I am so excited because I just was able to reserve your book from a different library. Our local library is waaaaay dinky and didn't have it. But in Maryland, they have linked all the libraries so if the book is somewhere in the state, you can get it sent to your local library. I hope to be picking it up on Saturday. Woo Hoo!

March 26, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Oh I absolutely love it. Love it! And I just stopped by to say I miss you and I'm sorry I've been so long gone, but I'll be back by Tuesday when you're writing your sequel to this beautiful painting. And maybe I'll even sneak over before that.

LY!

March 27, 2009 at 2:34 AM

That is so beautiful! She looks perfect!

March 27, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Oh how pretty!!!

March 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Heidi--yay for you! I keep telling people they can get it at the library so I'm glad someone had a library success story! Crash, ah, heck, I know you have family in town and don't have time for much blogging. Not to worry!

March 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Perfect!! How fun!

March 27, 2009 at 10:57 PM

She is the love-able twit I knew her to be. Phew!

March 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Congratulations on the immortalization of Ms D!!! It's absolutely wonderful. I'm going to have to check out Audrey Eclectic - she's obviously uber talented. Yay for you and Ms D!!!

April 3, 2009 at 12:20 PM

HI Heidi, sorry I haven't been around in the blog world lately, but I did read your book. I just finished it yesterday, what a hoot! I loved that the qualities that the reader ends up admiring about both of them are the same ones that keep them apart initially and attract them to each other in the end. Good tension building!

April 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Post a Comment