In Which Bloggists Eat Krispy Kremes In Their Snuggies  

Posted by Heidi in

(You all know how much I love to be thought of as funny and amusing but humor requires poking fun at people and I just don’t have it in me this morning because thinking of my trip fills me with thoughts of happiness, gratitude, delight and warmth which don’t really lend themselves to "laugh out loud funny", if you know what I mean. So here goes . . .)

I learned something very important on my trip to Utah. People are better in person. Period. (Except, I suspect, for me.) I had the privilege of meeting a goodly number of bloggy friends over the weekend and I must say they all are better looking, thinner, (even Melinda--you'll know what I mean when you see her photo) and generally more wonderful in every way than they appear in photos. Even those few who were a bit different than I supposed (partly due to lack of photos on their blog) they were even BETTER than I had imagined. Oh, what delightful women my blog friends are! I was thrilled to have the means to feed them Krispy Kremes (especially since that delicious establishment has pulled up stakes and fled the area in which I dwell) and the foresight to plan lunch with as many of them as could come along.

As I sat and watched their faces in animated conversation, faces I had formally only known in flat, one-dimensional online photos, I thought how dear and familiar each face was and how wonderful it was to see them in movement and to hear their voices. It truly was a beautiful thing.

My only regret is that I didn’t get pictures of the ladies I met up with Sunday night and that the photos I did get are not the best. (I blame my middle aged camera.)

I also failed to get photos of me with my sister, cousins, aunts and uncles with whom I visited on this same trip. I feel sooooooo bad about that!




Here are the photos I did manage to get:



Karen of Kazzy's Ponderings, Jana of Divergent Pathways, Eowyn of Refracted Light, me, Barbara of Barbaloot Suit, (how cute is she?!?!) Melinda of Banter, Buffoonery and Bloggy Blather, Julie of Youngbloods4ever



Back row: Heather of Goddess in Progress, Julie, Val of Livin' La Vida Utah, Angi of Funky Bag Freak, Kristina of Pulsipher Predilections, Front row: Wendy of No Botox Allowed, Melinda, me, Jana and Karen



I stole this photo from Val of the South. It's a little over-exposed but I like it esp since it shows my cool color coordinated bag with my cool coordinated clothes that match Miss D. (I'm so vain.)Note that crazy Spock-like eyebrow. I blame Spock, the one of Classic Trek fame, who, when I was four year old, I wanted to emulate. It's a scary thought.


Kristina was kind enough to bring her Snuggie. Julie was all over it! Note the man in the background which is a statue, not someone peering through the window. He shows up again later.




Here is cute Julie demonstrating the largesse of the Snuggie.





Please go to Melinda's blog and view her profile picture. Are they like two completely different people? I love to read your blog, Melinda, but you had us all fooled into thinking you were something other than the totally sweet petite gal you truly are! And that baby is something else! He was a perfect gentleman except when he was snogging anyone who ventured too close.


I know this picture probably won't be Heather or Wendy's favorite but it shows so well what fun gals they are!




Angi of Funky Bag Freak made this bag she is holding! Is it not darling?





I really like to take candid pictures. This one shows how much fun we had visiting with each other.


After lunch, Kristina very kindly drove me back to the home of Roxanne/Happiness Is A Choice (who put me up for four days and nights and drove me around wherever I needed to go because she is my cousin and had no choice--the woman is a saint!) I think I scared Kristina a bit with my airhead ways (in my defense, I was super duper tired and hyped up on sugar and wheat) but she drove me all the way to the front door anyway. (Thanks Kristina! It was SO fun to meet you!)

After a nap, I then went to the lovely, art-filled home of Jana/Charrette of Divergent Pathways and enjoyed chatting with the ladies of both Jana’s and Karen of Kazzy’s Ponderings book groups for a night of Miss D revelry. These were smart as-a-whip ladies and had very good questions, allowing me to talk at length about my favorite subject---Miss D! (It used to be me but Miss D is way more fun and interesting.) Before the ladies came, I enjoyed a delicious dinner made by Karen and Jana, a very special event which was also attended by Jana's sister (of Molly fame). Once the other ladies arrived, even more delicious food appeared. Yum! (Is it any wonder that I gained five pounds whilst I was in Utah?)

One of the biggest surprises of the evening was seeing a friend of mine that I hadn’t talked to in six years. We nursed our babies together in the mother’s lounge at church when we attended the same ward more than a dozen years ago. I didn’t even know she had moved to Utah and since she hadn’t had a chance to read the book yet, she didn’t realize the book being discussed that evening was written by moi so she was as surprised as I was! (Amy, you are just as beautiful as ever!) It was so fun to catch up with her and to enjoy the warmth and friendship extended by each of these wonderful ladies.

Sunday night, I had the chance to visit with Laura/L.T. Elliot of Dreams of Quill and Ink, Carolyn of Paper and Parchment, Kim of Temporary?Insanity and Eowyn of Refracted Light. How truly beautiful, wonderful, talented and delightful these ladies are! I could have talked with them forever but losing my voice and not being able to keep my eyes open put a bit of a damper on things. Thanks so much for driving out to see me (Kim came all the way from Canada! Okay, I admit, she didn't come all of that way to see me but I am so glad she made time for me on her schedule while she was in Utah).
It has meant so much to me to be able to meet every single one of you, my dear bloggy friends, and I am floored by how truly sweet and wonderful you have been to me! If you are ever in the San Francisco Bay Area (or even thereabouts) please be sure to let me know so we can get together!

The only thing that would have made this weekend better would be if ALL of my bloggy friends could have been there. Those of you who didn’t make it (or who live far too far away to have even planned on coming) was deeply missed. One day we will have a HUGE party and meet everyone face to face. I guess that’s why they call it Heaven.


(Click HERE to see a review of Miss D that really warmed the cockles of my heart!)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at Wednesday, April 29, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

46 wise, witty and wonderful comments

It was so fun to finally meet you! And you didn't scare me at all.

It's been a lifelong dream to get lost in Pleasant Grove, and you helped me to achieve that, so thank you!

And you are even more delightful in person.

April 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I am in jealous bliss if there is such a thing. I just enjoy reading about your adventure and meeting all these fabulous women. I of course wish I could get out there and meet so many of the blogging women I admire. Sounds like a wonderful few days, enjoy the wheat and chocolate high for as long as it lasts you.

April 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM
Anonymous  

What Christine said.

April 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Bloggy get togethers are so much fun!

April 29, 2009 at 11:33 AM

How COOL! Some of these ladies I have gotten to "know" through their blogs. I have enjoyed seeing the pictures that you posted and finding out that they are indeed as charming as I had thought!

April 29, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I, too, have touched the legendary Snuggie. We're in an exclusive club. Or something.

Looks like you had a ball!

April 29, 2009 at 11:48 AM

A truly hilarious title to this post.
Wow, you got to have so much fun! I'm so glad!

April 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Heidi, It was so fun getting a chance to meet you. You are SO in the "way cooler in person" club. Thanks for taking the time to sit down and discuss Miss D with us. It was an absolute joy for me to hear your experiences and insights. You gave me a lot to think about as I launch into my own creative endeavors and goals.

April 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM
Anonymous  

Heids, meeting you is post-worthy on its own (forthcoming, I promise!) You're spectacular! I loved every minute I had with you! (And I would have stolen even more if I could have!!!)

I hope you know that your friendship in my life has been one of the most valuable and dear. You had me at LOL. (Just kidding on that last part. Seriously about all the rest!)

April 29, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Heidi, you are so awesome! And I totally want to come to CA! Maybe some day when I get that book finished and published. Okay, so plan on me in 15 years. We'll make it a date! =)

Thanks so much for meeting with us. I really think the world of you. =)

April 29, 2009 at 12:14 PM
Anonymous  

Envy, envy, envy -- I wish I lived nearer the blogging community I have come to consider a second family, too!

April 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I'm jealous. So much, that I can't comment.

Fabulous pictures, though!

April 29, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I'm sooooooooo sad that I missed it. I blame my husband and his truck. Drat!

You all look beautiful!

April 29, 2009 at 12:54 PM

LOVED this! LOVED you! I miss you already!

Since when have I NOT come off as sweet, petite with a snogging baby?! I seem to remember posting that I was little, like 5'2". See I was honest! :D

When are the cockles of your heart not warm?! haha

April 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM

How cool is that?! I'll tell ya how cool...very! Wish I could have been there.

April 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM

well, even though it wasn't mentioned that we got to see each other, i'm still glad we did. :) oh, and i went and got that tres leche dessert again...but i got totally ripped off --- NO CARAMEL CENTER!!! i have to say, i was rather upset. that was practically the best part.

April 29, 2009 at 1:09 PM

I'm all done being jealous - I'm now in the denial phase of my mourning...

Nu-Uhh!

next is anger - watch out ladies...

April 29, 2009 at 1:17 PM

That sounds like a truly lovely weekend! I'm glad you had a few photos to share - the snuggie ones really cracked me up!

April 29, 2009 at 1:35 PM

My dearest cuz, I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed having you here. I hope that you will consider another stay with us down the road a bit. I just love the fact that we are related and that we understand the joys of being a 'Baldwin'. Oh, and I loved the book, it is definitely a double read!

thanks again for staying with us, we feel very honored!
Roxanne

April 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM

You really did fill up your weekend with a lot of good things. Great photos you posted too! Hugs.

April 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I'm with T...I'm in denial phase too..lol.

Love the photos. You ladies look beautiful and looks like you have so much. Now I'm more determined that you come to Hawaii.

Thanks for sharing..truly happy you had a great trip and able to meet all those wonderful bloggers.

April 29, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I am so jealus I couldn't make it! Oh well, I guess I'll have to schedule time the next one!

April 29, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Everyone is just so much better in person, aren't they? Was so fab to meet you - you're such a sweetie!

April 29, 2009 at 2:25 PM

So much fun. Not a fan of the pics with me in them, but I LURVE everything else. You are too fun, even better in person. Is that even possible?

April 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM

How cute am I? How cute are you?! Fun post...but I was jealous to see what I missed out on:) You're amazing to have made so much time for all the bloggers that like having a famous friend.

April 29, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Heidi, love--there.are.no.words. Wonderful post -- you said it so much better than I could. I felt like I was floating all weekend (okay, when I didn't feel like I was going to suddenly DROP DEAD) and I'm sure it was even more so for you! Sheer delight all around! LOVED meeting you in person...and yet. I was not surprised. I loved you through your wonderful posts about The Big Guy and Miss D and all the rest. Seeing you live was just the icing on the cake. But what sweet, rich icing!

April 29, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Sorry that I haven't been responding to your comments or visiting your blogs--I crashed shortly after I put up this post. I'm hoping it's nothing serious but in light of my recent time spent in an international airport, I'm a tad concerned.

April 29, 2009 at 6:08 PM
Anonymous  

very coool! get some rest

April 29, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Heidi - I hope that you haven't caught any nasties during your travel!

I also hope you will forgive me for missing your shin-dig and still partying with Shelle, April and NHC - if it makes you feel any better I would have had to bail on them too if it had entailed 6 hours of driving :( Not to say it wouldn't have been WORTH every penny - but I drive the guzzlingest of gas guzzlers currently!

April 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Oh that is so much fun! How wonderful to get to see everyone in real time. I'm so happy that Youngblood got to meet and have lunch with Kristina P. I know that has been her dream! YAY for dreams coming true!

It's so awesome that you got to feel like a star. How completely cool that a old friend showed up for book group and YOU were the author. LOVE IT! Everyone looks beautiful, especially you. Even with your spock brow.

Welcome back!

April 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM

I'm a little slow, but I wanted to comment on the last couple of posts and say that although I didn't enter the giveaway, it's not because I don't read your blog, nor did I not like any of the products offered. the truth is, I've been attempting to clean out my overly stuffed house for a while, and so I didn't want to try and obtain anything else more. (Plus my favorite, the Little Women paper dolls, were already hotly contested, and I did not want to incur the wrath of any opposing bidder).

April 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Well, now I wish I could have gone and then you would have said that I was even more lovely in person! You are a really neat person. I'm glad you got to actually get to know so many of your bloggy friends!

April 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM

well, my goodness that looks like a lot of fun! You must have had a great time with all of those lovely folks!

April 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Oh Heidi Thank You So Much! I almost feel like I was there. Really. What a perfect post. It sounds like you had so much fun, and what a bunch of lucky bloggers to be able to hang out with you (and vice versa, of course :) Thanks for the pictures which really bring it to life.

I hope you're feeling better, Heidi!

April 30, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Heidi! I hope you feel better soon.

I am almost the shade of the Wicked Witch of the West's green with envy. How exciting that must have been! How I wish I could have met you and the others!

It looks to have been such a blast!

April 30, 2009 at 12:22 AM

This post just makes me smile! It's a delight to see your pictures and hear how much fun you all had.

I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly. Hope you feel better soon.

April 30, 2009 at 6:56 AM

What's funny is that I was thinking the same thing all around of the people I met this last weekend. We are better in real life.

Hope you get better soon!

April 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM
Anonymous  

Fun had by all....I wish I could of gone...Love the pictures.

April 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Thanks you guys! Love you all! I try really hard to respond to every comment but it's getting to the point where I have to choose between that and reading your blogs. It'll get better (I hope) when I recover from this trip. Yep. That's what I keep telling myself.

April 30, 2009 at 10:15 AM

You are so cute! And it's fun seeing pictures of other people that I know only in the bloggy world, too!

April 30, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Wow! How much fun did you have! You are so lucky to meet all those great bloggers!
Im so happy for you guys to have met and had so many laughs!

April 30, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Indeed - it is JUST LIKE I HOPE HEAVEN WILL BE. Lots better then relief society ------!!!!!!!!!! (oops, did I say/write that out loud)

April 30, 2009 at 12:59 PM

It looks like you had an absolutely wonderful time. I am so glad! (And I'm so sad that I wasn't able to be there.)

April 30, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I feel a strange mix of jealousy and happy for you at the same time.

Really, I am so happy for you all.

And really, I just want to reach through the screen and pull you all into my house.

April 30, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Looks like a great time; everyone looks so daggone happy and relaxed. I can't wait to meet some RL bloggy buddies!

April 30, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Aughhhhhhhhh.
I am SOOOOO depressed right now.

We came in from the airport and basically zombie drove to my MIL's and slept for the rest of the day. I was very pissy because Amaya basically kicked and screamed at the seat in front of her all night.
So I wouldn't have been lovlier in person. I would have been awful. But I still am so sad I didn't come.

May 5, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Post a Comment