I Have Been Enjoying A Lot Of Solitude Lately  

Posted by Heidi in

My playlist (which used to be posted in my blog but is now private. Well. As private as anyone’s playlist could be. I’m sure if anyone were dying to learn its contents, it wouldn’t be hard to find --for you, not for me, who has no idea how to do these things but have heard whispered rumors of such illicit activities—but never fear b/c I am just about to enlighten you as evidenced by the first two actual words of this blog post) contains (see! What did I tell you?!?!) a variety of music. (Whoa! That’s so darn illuminating!) In point of fact, I have rather catholic tastes in music (I have always thought it would be amusing to claim to be Catholic but in this situation, it means “broad” which is not to say that Catholics are broads but that they are numerous and cover the earth as do my tastes in music.) (phew!)

For example, just now I am listening to Robert Goulet sing C’est Moi from Camelot. Just before that I was listening to Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellwegger sing Here’s To Love. Prior to that I was listening to The Beat Goes On by Sonny and Cher. Lest you assume my tastes in music are elderly, mature, older, aged, i.e. not getting any younger, I also have I’m Yours by Jason Mraz, Breathe 2 AM by Anna Nalick, Apologize by One Republic and White Flag by Dido on my playlist (not that there is any connection between those four songs as pursuant to my actual life). Meanwhile, there’s lots of genres and eras in between.

In short, I love music.

Which is why it was a no brainer when Sherrie Shepherd asked if I would tell you all what I think of her new CD Solitude.



First of all, I love Sher.

Second, I love piano music. What could be more soothing?

Third, I love and am immeasurably impressed by her original compositions.

Fourth I love and can’t get enough of Come Thou Fount and Hie To Kolob which are on this CD. Being as one is an old English hymn and the other and old LDS one, I am pretty sure my pioneer ancestors from England sang these hymns on a daily basis leaving me with a deep and abiding genetic-memory-type attachment for the pair of them.

Fifth—Solitude by Sherrie Shepherd—what’s not to love?

Lastly, in a random thought pursuant to nothing in this post, if I were to choose to pick up and read all the way through to the end, purely for pleasure, just one book this last 12 months, did it have to be The Mermaid Chair?

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at Wednesday, May 27, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

42 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I am planning on doing a giveaway on Friday for her CD.

And I think all you are missing is MC Hammer.

May 27, 2009 at 11:07 AM
Anonymous  

Ah, a post right out of my own brain! All you need now is a BLANKIE to cuddle with! (hint, hint...)

May 27, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Heidi, I think it's so great that you are sharing the music you like with us. I haven't heard of either of the two musicians you have posted the last two days, but I am going to check them out!

Thanks for sharing! =)

P.S. May your next venture in book reading be a blissful adventure.

May 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I have got to get Sher's CD --it's on my list of things to do. Also I LOVE music --all types as do you --I am Catholic too(tee,hee) or just a music slut, but catholic sounds more tasteful. I love Robert Goulet "Cest Moi" from Camelot --MY ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME.
So I take it you didnt like the Mermaid Chair?? --It was ok I thought, but not as good as her other (crap, brain fart, something about Bees---tee,hee)

May 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM

What's up with Baldwins and Bob Goulet?

Or was it that cheesy cruise line singer John Gary?

May 27, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Reed--both! BOTH! Get a clue, already! (JK) (sort of).

May 27, 2009 at 11:33 AM

50,000/36,233 = 72%

You go girl!

May 27, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Kristina--sadly, I can't get into him tho I hear Aladdin from the Disney movie was based on his style of clothing. Sue--I am very slow today (well, for a while now). I don't get it! Someone please 'splain. Carolyn--I'm feeling pretty gun shy at this point but I might try another book. One day. We'll see. Tell you what, write one and I'll read that! Wendy--I loved the bee book. I don't get into married women having affairs. With monks, no less. I kept waiting for it to get better but it just didn't. Can't believe I read the whole thing.

May 27, 2009 at 11:35 AM
Anonymous  

Thumbs up for Solitude, thumbs down for Mermaid Chair. Got it.

I haven't yet written my review of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but definitely cross that off your list of possible next reads (though I would certainly condone a re-read of the original!).

May 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Reed--ah! I'm touched that you noticed! I appreciate the cheerleading but I only have less than a month to finish--aiiiiee!!!
Pam--GOOD TO KNOW!

May 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Thanks for "Sher"ing. Good job Heidi.

May 27, 2009 at 12:18 PM

It seems we like the same types of music! But - I've never heard C'est Moi, and being as how I speak French, I think that is a travesty.

May 27, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I think I'm going to have to haunt KP on Friday because a little soothing is just what I need right now!

May 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Twins separated at birth... or maybe we were supposed to be triplets since you already have a twin.

I heart music- you know that. Love the range you have on your playlist. Sounds a lot like mine. Oh, and just so you know- Come Thou Fount is one of my ALL-TIME favorites, too. Didn't hear it until my mission- but I've been hooked since then!

May 27, 2009 at 12:46 PM

You mean your kids don't force you to play Dora the Explorer, Primary, and Disney top hit CDs all day like my kids do? The only time I get to listen to music is when they are gone or when I go exercise and have my iPod.

May 27, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I apparently need to obtain that CD. Along with many other coveted items. . .

Explain: Mermaid chair bad? Why?

May 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Sherrie Shepherd ROCKS!

May 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM

My husband really likes piano music. :)

May 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM
Anonymous  

Ah...to know that your taste in music rivals my own! Just more reasons to love ya, Heids.

May 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Anonymous  

was just listening to this piano style this morning while I studied, it is wonderful!

May 27, 2009 at 3:43 PM

hee hee on The Mermaid Chair. Glad I wasn't the only one to find it LAME.

May 27, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I'm beginning to think that I may have to check this CD out.

And The Mermaid Chair was NOT my favorite. I preferred Secret Life of Bees by a lot.

May 27, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I'm starting to think I need to buy this CD . . .

May 27, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Jan--thanks! Erin--you have not seen Camelot? C'est vrai? It's a must-see but Robert Goulet does not play Lancelot in the movie version. It's still good, though. T--haunt KP? I'm lost. It's okay, I'm lost so often I should probably wear a note pinned to my shirt. Julie--it's a keeper, that's for sure! Becky--my kids don't like music. Go figure. So that means everything goes off when they are around. Well, except for my 14 yr old who goes around with earbuds firmly ensconced so that she can listen to her music rather than the sound of our chewing and breathing. Rachel--married woman has an affair. With a monk. Nuff said. Crash-yes. Heatherlyn-yes. Laura-yes. Spasm--yes. hee hee Megz--we seem to have similar tastes in books since I recall you saying you were glad to know that I hadn't read Breaking Dawn yet (still haven't). There's a little book called Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind you might quite like . .. (hee hee) Melanie--ditto!! Kim--yes, it's lovely!

May 27, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Love love love Come Thou Font. Music is such a blessing. I know for sure I would not have survived the past year without music. Sounds like I need to get this CD. Right now my music to calm the savage beast is the Lilies of the Field MoTab Cd.

May 27, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Pat--I have that one, or did, until my Big Guy got mad and stomped on it. Good times.

May 27, 2009 at 6:37 PM

I will have to check it out.

May 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM
Anonymous  

Okay, okay, let me es'plain....

A few weeks ago, I started a giveaway and every comment made on my blog from then until today counted as an entry for my 2nd Blogiversary Giveaway! And guess what? You just might have won a signature Sue Q black and white blankie! Come visit my blog and check it out!

May 27, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Also Plain White T's and Duffy, not to mention the musicals....WICKED, Les Mis, Phantom....ahhhhh nothing like belting out a good song out of tune while driving with the windows down in your car.

May 27, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I LOVE Come Thou Fount and Hie to Kolob. Where did you get this CD?

--and The Mermaid Chair just resurfaced out of the pocket of a forgotten suitcase recently. Glad I'm not the only one that didn't love that book! :)

May 27, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Those are tow of the best hymns ever! I haven't heard of Sherrie before, but may look her up. I am very eclectic in my musical tastes too. Fell in love with Johnny Cash last yr and like to mix up my listening from him all the way to Sarah Brightman. LOL

May 28, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Nice title!

May 28, 2009 at 4:37 AM

Your post is so fitting in my life today, I was planning on finding some new music to listen to today. Thanks!

May 28, 2009 at 4:37 AM

I just went to her website and listened to her play list. It was beautiful. Thanks for the recommendation.

May 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM

I love all different kinds of music too. AND I learned something new today - I love words and I've never hear that used in context. I'll want to use it now and that will be fun!

May 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM

I need this CD. Piano and peace all in one setting. . .sounds like heaven!

You're fabulous!

May 28, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Yeah! Thanks for the shout out!
And I think you and I have even more in common that I thought.
My tastes in music span such a broad spectrum of genres, I've actually been teased about it (by none other than my hubby-who limits his listening pleasures to nothing more than old country and 80's heavy metal).
Good to know I'm not the only one listening to show tunes, top 40 pop, oldies, and classical all in the same hour.

May 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Katy--yes! Sue--okay, I think I get it now . . April--yes yes and who? I'm actually afraid to start listening to the Wicked soundtrack. Based on how I was about Les Mis and Phantom (before I even saw either), I just don't know if I can handle a new obsession just now. Charrette--you just follow the links to Sherrie's site to buy it--it's worth it! Kazzy--I have to admit, Johnny Cash is one I haven't tried yet but I suppose if I were to watch the recent movie about him, I would. Luisa--thanks! Heather--yes! Joy--you're welcome! Fiona--ah, the word "catholic"! It took me a while to figure that one out . . eowyn--you're fabulous, too! Sher--you are very welcome! As broad as my music tastes are, I have to say I haven't been much into country though I have always enjoyed the cross over hits that I've encountered . .. I DO love folk music though so technically, I should love country just fine.

May 28, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Excellent blog, nice post. I love the contents and the layout... I am so proud to vote for this beautiful blog. I VOTED FOR YOU, I recommend your blog to many of my friends. I expect they will Vote for u soon. I hope you will grace me with your precious Vote.Just copy this link to your browser
http://bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/69551

May 28, 2009 at 1:48 PM

My playlist is varied, as well. The catholic thing made me laugh! Did you not like The Mermaid Chair? I have yet to read it. I just tried to read Alice Sebold's latest and just couldn't do it.

May 28, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I miss your public playlist because I always found good songs I loved on it!

May 29, 2009 at 10:54 PM

I need to listen to your playlist because I don't know what any of the hip music is today. And clearly, you do. Help me get jiggy with it! (Are we the same age?)

May 31, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Post a Comment