Things I Learned Whilst Being Sick  

Posted by Heidi in

Forcing myself to relax and not attend to my responsibilities has allowed me to reflect on a few things:

1. Doctors don’t like their time to be wasted
2. I love having a TV in my bedroom
3. Doctors think mere cold/flu symptoms a waste of their time
4. Watching TV is way easier than reading books
5. Doctors can get pretty aggressive with that throat culture stick thingy when they feel their time is being wasted
6. I could watch Malcolm in the Middle 24 hours a day!
7. It’s worth being sick in order to arrive at such significant epiphanies

(The Big Guy is doing better, the Little Guy went back to school today, I tested negative for strep throat in spite of the violent dig that, I swear, removed actual tissue from my throat, so, according to my doctor, I probably just have a cold or “the flu”. Since I have used a total of three tissues to control the tepid flow from my nose in the last three days and the Big Guy has been awash in effluvia of the nostrils, I don’t think I have a cold. However, since only two people have died of the swine flu in the US and the schools are all reopening (including The Spouse’s as of today) nobody cares if it is the swine flu or just the regular old flu. Meanwhile, my throat still hurts, I still have a fever, I’m tired, achy and dizzy . . . but, hey, I’m at Bloggers Annex today! You could be too! You can submit one of your own favorite posts! Find out how at www.bloggersannex.com)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at Wednesday, May 06, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

34 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Get better soon! And then get a new doctor.

May 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM

hang in there. when my family was getting sick, my throat started to hurt. I knew i was getting strep. But I drank extra ASEA and it was gone.... the next morning!!! nothing lingered at all! If you want to know more, I'll tell you. But you have to ask :)

May 6, 2009 at 10:29 AM

hoping for faster healing...

and I'm frankly surprised that they don't care to test you for the flu... how can we go from freaking out to chilling out in such a short span?

May 6, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I love the word 'whilst' :)

Get well soon---but not so soon that you can't appreciate your TV hiatus a little longer.

May 6, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Last time I got a throat culture, I kicked the nurse right in the shin (it really was just a reaction to the stick stuck down my throat, but she didn't believe me).

Please feel better soon. =)

May 6, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I'm with Lara . . . get a new dr.

May 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM

TV's do rock, and maybe you should try Pride and Prejudice, that is a great time killer. I first watched it when I was rather sick from Guilliam Barre Syndrome. Made me feel better just to see Mr Darcy swimming through that pond.

May 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Well, I am glad you haven't died yet.

May 6, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Yuck. Sorry you're sick. The thing that always gets me is that doctors act all put out that your there in their office asking for help (wasting their time), but they have no problem wasting your time, making you wait for 2 hours, and then sending you a hefty bill afterward.
I avoid doctor's at all costs....unless I need anitbiotics. Then I call my gyno (who will call it in for me)

May 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM
Anonymous  

When I keep my kids out of school for more than a couple of days, I feel somewhat obligated to take them to the doctor to show the school I'm being responsible. You're absolutely right, the doctors don't appreciate it.

Keep a book handy/open to read during commercials. When you get engrossed enough to continue reading when the show comes back on, you'll know that it's a keeper.
While I was on bedrest at the end of my first pregnancy, I got addicted to Law & Order. I miss Jerry Orbach.

May 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM
Anonymous  

I hate Drs!!!!

May 6, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Man, that is just a bummer. Get better and glad you have a tv in your room too :)

May 6, 2009 at 12:44 PM

What a meanie. Especially when he should totally be expecting people to be more concerned with their colds and flus and should be concerned and understanding. Whatever.

Once in a while I hate that TV is so much easier than reading a book. And I've never really seen Malcolm in the Middle!

Hope you get feeling better soooooon.

May 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM

YAY for epiphanies and YAY for not having the swine flu. (Unless you really do have the swine flu, in which case I revoke that YAY).

May 6, 2009 at 1:04 PM

well, if it makes you feel any better... you have 105,134 times better chances of dying from swallowing a cocktail weenie toothpick than of contracting swine flu. Which I totally believe because of that one toothpick that tried to kill me last summer... luckily it only impaled my foot :)
Get better soon!

May 6, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I think dr.'s can be total jerks. They waste our time all the time! Waiting and waiting and more waiting, and then they rush in and act like you're annoying if you have any questions. Jerks. I'm sorry, I hope you feel better very soon!

May 6, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Do you gargle with hot salt water? That always helps my throat. My tongue doesn't like it but it is worth it.

May 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I hate doctors. I have an uncle that is a dr.... um, he falls into that category too. Ohh, did I say that? Shhh! It's a secret.

Feel better!

May 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I always thought the rule where you have to be sick for two weeks to prove you have a baterial infection sucks. Doctors really don't care if you've only been sick for two days. Losers.

May 6, 2009 at 2:53 PM

You are completely right about doctors!

May 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Anonymous  

I haven't let my husband put a TV in our room because I think I'd never sleep -- but I can see how it would be nice when I can't sleep anyway.

I'll keep wishing you well thoughts. (And I'll try not to mention that my own sore throat thingy is going on over four weeks and counting (although at least I'm back up and around, currently.)

May 6, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I only choose TV over books sometimes because I can multi task. I'm not really talented enough to read a book and clean at the same time. Otherwise, I'd be all books, all the time, and TV could go bye-bye!

May 6, 2009 at 5:40 PM

sheesh, rude doctor!

And GET WELL!

May 6, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I have such copay regret when I hold off going to the doc and finally give in, only to hear, "You have a virus. Take some tylenol and drink lots of water." I hope you mend real soon.

May 6, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I love Malcolm in the Middle... that show is hilarious. One time when I was sick... I watched a full season of Gilmore Girls and got hooked.

I hate when doctors don't validate your pain!

May 6, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Good lessons to learn. Once when I was sick I learned that my daughter Kristen has not patience for sick people, Kathryn has a lot to tell me when I sit still long enough to listen to her, and Michelle will be our care giver when we are old and bedridden. Proving I guess that we can learn from any experience. Hope you are feeling all better soon.

May 6, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Good reflections. Yes, docs can be annoying and lame. At the same time even. Enjoy Malcolm. I used to watch that show all the time in my pre-kid years. Great, funny stuff...

May 6, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Whilst reading your blog I came to realize that much has been made of nothing...this swine flu thing is hogwash! Hope you feel better soon!

May 6, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Hahahaha. The depth of your epiphanies is astounding. You are so stinking funny. Sorry you're so miserable. Feel better soon!!!

May 6, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Oi. Sorry you're sick! Hope you get better soon. And I loved that post at the AnneX.

May 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I want my kids pediatricians for my doctor. They are a lot more sympathetic and actually take time.

I hope you're feeling better and catching up on all your reading and TV watching!!

Hey, have you heard about a new fibro drug called Savella - I eavesdropped on a drug rep conversation about it at the Dr's today...sounded interesting.

May 7, 2009 at 1:24 PM
Anonymous  

Wow! You've had a busy last couple of posts! I'm sorry to have missed them. (More compy troubles & dudes birthdays)
I sure hope you're all feeling better soon. Man, when it rains, it pours, huh?

May 7, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Are you well yet?

Hope you are.

May 8, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Sorry you were down, but it sounds like you enjoyed it on some level, heehee. I am finally feeling better, too.

May 9, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Post a Comment