A Very Good Excuse  

Posted by Heidi in

If I haven't visited your blog lately, it's nothing personal. You'll understand when you get a gander at my UGLY (as in hideous) kitchen cabinets . . .


Don't get my wrong, I like that they are white. White English Smallbone is my kitchen cabinet dream (though I would jump at dark brown cherry if I had a very roomy kitchen in which to play with them). A 3 1/2 by 5 foot kitchen requires lightness and brightness and these certainly fit the bill. I, however, loathe the ugly cheap trim at the top and all that flatness between the ugly cheap trim and the top of the cabinet door. (That weird narrow sea of darkish cream is where I haven't quite finished painting the ceiling . . . .)
So, The Spouse and I decided to use some trim we filched from the side of my Mom and Dad's house to prettify them. Generally, when I mention any kind of project that involves measuring, cutting, nailing, etc., The Spouse can be found curled up in a fetal position in the garage under the car (don't get me wrong, he is a man of many talents--measuring, cutting and nailing just aren't any of them) but he took the laminate wood floor entryway on the chin (i.e. like a man) and I have been milking this particular cow ever since. He did quail a bit, however, when I suggested that one row of moulding just wasn't going to cut the mustard . . .


Below is the cabinet adorned with two rows of trim (second row purchased last month at a home improvement store that was shutting down --YardBirds/Home Depot/Expo store down the street--oh, how I miss you already!) and a good visual of what an above the fridge cabinet can look like with the doors and hardware removed, two rows of pretty moulding and several coats of primo Martha Stewart Ironstone White paint by Valspar (best. paint. ever!)

However, since neither The Spouse or I were yet in traction as a result of our measuring, cutting, nailing and painting endeavors, I added this combination clock/shelf that my mother picked up for me at a garage sale for ONE DOLLAR. It has been sitting on top of my fridge in its original mahogany state in front of the above pictured cabinet doors and now it is serving to fool me into thinking I have a tiny bit of English Smallbone going on in my very own kitchen.



Now I have kitchen cabinets that look like (semi) custom built-ins and I am one happy cook-who-rarely-cooks. In fact, it could be a long time before I cook anything again . . . my muscles are so sore from the measuring, cutting, nailing, gluing and painting that I might have to order take-out for the rest of my life. However, I can eat it feasting my eyes on the gorgeous corner moulding that was made perfect with almost an entire tube of wood filler . . .


This just in: The Spouse and I have (apparently) not yet learned our lesson because we are elbow deep in the biggest home improvement project ever! Think big screen TV enclosure/fireplace/headboards. Weird combo, huh? Photos to follow if we don't end up in the hospital for an extended stay . . .(I'm going to be a good bloggist when The Spouse goes back to work in September, I promise!)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at Wednesday, July 29, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

38 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Looks darling--love the $1 shelf! And your darling dishes.

July 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Want to come to my house? Our cabinets suck.

July 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM
Anonymous  

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. You are clearly a home improvement sandbagger. Cabinets and accoutrements are a perfect complement to your garden.

July 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Um, you are like the article in better home and gardens where I say I could totally do that if only I had good luck at yard sales!

It looks lovely, by the way.

July 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM

What a stunning transformation! I echo Kristina - please do my house next!

July 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Wow! You are guys are AMAZING! Great job!

July 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

*gasp* It looks amazing! Wow! I'm trying to get ideas for my kitchen. =) You are my redecorating role model! =)

July 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM
Anonymous  

Heids...every time I see your house I am filled with ENVY!!! What gorgeous dishes & serving stuff. Man...I am SO FRICKIN' JEALOUS!!

July 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I love the clock shelf! And one dollar! That makes it even better! Your moulding looks fabulous. We are in the throes of do-it-yourself home improvement projects ourselves, and I feel for you and your sore shoulders and crampy hands.

July 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I love doing this type of stuff. you should just see all the tools and stuff I have. In the middle of a master bath remodel now. Wife says its time for it to be done. My surgeries have slowed the process I admit.

Love and Prayers,

Tim

July 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM

You inspire me, I'm so jealous I don't have my own home to do home-improvement projects! Waaaah!!

Your cabinets look fabulous by the way!!

July 29, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I love home improvement projects - it's a rare couple that can do them together and come out still talking, good for you and the spouse to create something beautiful and maintain your marriage!!!

July 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Wow! The difference is phenomenal! Seriously looks amazing.

And the best part is that now you can read blogs without having to worry about ugly kitchen cabinets looming over your shoulders. ;)

July 29, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Oh my beautifulness!!!!

July 29, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I love the crown moulding (plus the add-in). I love things that add character to a house. Modern houses are so bleh. They have no architectural character. So I love it when people add things in - like crown moulding. Someday, I'll have a house and add in crown moulding. But until then I'll just drool over your pictures instead.

July 30, 2009 at 6:37 AM

Way Impressed! Looks like tons of work. My mother has a teapot collection and u've given me some ideas.

July 30, 2009 at 8:08 AM

That looks so beautiful!! I really quite like it. :)

July 30, 2009 at 8:15 AM
Anonymous  

hey lady, check your email

cabnets look aweseom! and I can't spell LOL

July 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM

It's amazing what some good wood filler and crown moulding can do for a cabinet! Looks awesome!

July 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM

You have been busy!!!

My cabinets are gross too! My kitchen is tiny... I hate being so needy, but I really want an upgrade!

Your kitchen is very inspriring! Nice work!

July 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Check THAT out! It's gorgeous! I bet you could get a job on Design on a Dime. :)

July 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Oh, my!! So very cute!! I love it. And now I am inspired to start a project of my own!

July 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM

You so have to come visit when I buy my new house. . . in the next millenia or so. It looks awesome! Well done!

July 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Wow! That is inspirational. No, really. Inspirational. My cabinets are hid-e-ous and you have inspired me with the glory of your achievement.

July 30, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I love the wood filler comment! Great job - what a difference.

July 30, 2009 at 11:29 PM

I love what you've done with the place! You leave you mark, dontcha?

I am not a great engineer when it comes to the measuring, etc, but I do enjoy accomplishing things that make my home feel more put together, functional and warm.

Great job! And the next project sounds intimidating!

July 31, 2009 at 6:31 AM

You really are amazing.

July 31, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Fab-you-loso. Wow. Please don't every try to tell us that you don't know how to do DIY. You're awesome.

July 31, 2009 at 1:08 PM

You're a good bloggist no matter what! :)

July 31, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Holy ambitious. I would never dream of attempting something like that. Way to go.

August 1, 2009 at 7:27 AM

This looks great. I love projects! Good job.

August 1, 2009 at 9:09 PM

What a great job! They look wonderful. You are very clever and talented.

August 3, 2009 at 5:33 AM

Heidi, it is simply Magnificent! You have excelled and gone above and beyond home improvement. I have seen your kitchen and love the convenience of standing in one place and being able to reach all 4 corners (I do have long arms) but this little upgrade has made a whole new space for you. I am so Happy for you.
Roxanne

August 4, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Are you sure you don't want to come back to Utah and fix my garden? While you are here you can also fix up my kitchen. And, if your Big Screen TV enclosure, bookcase thingy works out you can do that here too. I would totally be your best friend forever!

August 5, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Wow! I think the cabinets look great after all is said and done! I completely agree about the moulding above the cabinets - one piece really just didn't cut the mustard, but oh what the extra piece does! I love the look of added moulding to cabinet tops. It makes the cabinets look taller and completes the look. Great work! Thank you for sharing!

August 5, 2009 at 11:04 AM

This looks fabulous! I am always amazed at your ability to do such great things like this!

August 7, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Terrific. You are unbelievable.

August 11, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Wow, they look great.

October 1, 2009 at 3:06 AM

Post a Comment