My Dog Can Read And Yours Can't. So There.  

Posted by Heidi in

I bought a bouquet of roses at the grocery store last night in spite of the fact that I'm experiencing an embarrassment of riches in regards to my blooming bushes. Even though these are spray roses and I don’t have any spray rose bushes (where does one acquire spray rose bushes anyhow?) I feel it was an unjustifiable expense. So flog me.

On to the dog:





The pictures speak for themselves. (BTW, if your dog can read, I will require photographic evidence before buying into such an absurd claim.)

I should really be running around and visiting each of you today but I’m going to watch Grey Gardens instead. Netflix delivered it and if I don’t get it watched and sent back from whence it came, the Big Guy won’t get his next DVD chock full of episodes of Scooby-Doo. The lack there-of could lead to disaster. (For this reason, The Spouse is in the bedroom watching his Netflix delivery all about Winston Churchill. The Spouse and I have similar tastes but it would seem Grey Gardens/Winston Churchill is where we go our separate ways.)

Finally, the reason why I have gathered you all here today: I am guest blogging at Mormonwoman.org (a great site for those who are LDS as well as those who want to hear the truth about being an LDS woman directly from the source) wherein I tell a story about the Big Guy that has heretofore been unblogged about. Click Here for the story (it’s there after the boring bits about moi, I promise!) I hope each and every one of you is having a sunny summer! (Just a reminder, I still have a few copies of Miss D at $18 a pop including shipping--email at write2me@heidiashworth.com if interested.)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at Wednesday, July 22, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

30 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Oh yeah? Well our hamster...err...hmm...well, it mostly just smells, actually...

Off to read your guest spot!

July 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Your dog can read? Well, I can read with my eyes closed. But it's bad for my hat and makes my eyebrows red hot.

Pretty roses. I don't feel that they require any flogging.

July 22, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I'm jealous of your literate dog, but even more jealous that you have some control over your Netflix. Alas, I would love to watch Grey Gardens, but I fear it will have to wait until my internet hijacking children go back to school.

July 22, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I don't even have a dog. Thanks for rubbing it in my face.

July 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I'll be MUCh more impress when I see photos of him and the sand dollar cookies he made after reading all about it...

July 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM

My dog can't do anything cool. She's the kids' dog. I don't even like her that much. Maybe I would like her better if she could read. :)

July 22, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I love, love, loved "Grey Gardens". They actors did a great job recreating things. Did you ever see the original documentary? I'd recommend it.

July 22, 2009 at 1:39 PM

I don't have a dog anymore, but I do have 2 kittens. And they can take naps. Lets see your dog do that... Okay, so your dog can do that too. Hmmm, I got nothin'.

July 22, 2009 at 2:10 PM

OK, neither of my dogs can read, but one of them does sing along with the cello when boy #4 practices. Now I need to figure out if he can read notes too. The dog I mean.

I will go check you out at mormonwoman.org, because I like Mormon women!

July 22, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I so want to read Gray Gardens. Maybe I will re-subscribe to netflix. I am loving the redbox lately. Only $1 a rental.

By the way, there was a really interesting book I read about teaching your dog to read...I think it was called the dogs of babel (?), I think. Anyway, the dog witnesses the death of the wife of this couple and the husband thinks that he can figure out what happened to his wife if he can teach the tog to talk. Weird, but interesting.

July 22, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I Meant "WATCH" gray gardens. Can you tell I am tired?

July 22, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I had a cat that could read! And he would read the Bible too! (He was very religious)
I have evidence!!! I will send it to you if you don't believe me. :)

July 22, 2009 at 8:22 PM
Anonymous  

Your dog totally trumps my dog.

Heids, if I had a vase that beautiful, roses would be pretty manditory! =]

I'm off to read your guest-post! Woo-hoo!

July 22, 2009 at 8:36 PM
Anonymous  

Sure your dog can read, but can he/she answer comprehension questions?

Lovely story at Mormonwoman.org!

July 22, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Yah but can your dog draw? :) Awesome.

Love Netflix. I'm always in a hurry to send mine off too so I can get the next one. haha.

July 22, 2009 at 11:58 PM

what a lovely story, aunt heidi! it's very sweet!

July 23, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Your dog is a genius.

Off to read your guest post...

July 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

That is a beautiful vase. We are at the glass jar stage of our lives.

That's kind of sad actually.

Anyway, the guest post was awesome! The roses are beautiful. I'll not flog you because I happen to love roses just like that.

Your dog is brilliant. I don't even have a dog, but my kids can read, and sometimes they are as dirty as a dog. Does that count?

:)

Happy days to you!

July 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Your dog reads? Will he come over and give my kids some lessons? That would be awesome! hee hee.

July 23, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I just love you Heidi, you're so funny! I better go over and read your guest post now!

Oh and by the way, my dog is dead, thanks for bringing that up. ;)

July 23, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Great guest post. It was very interesting and so cool.
My kids want a dog sooo badly, even if it can't read. Lucky for me (not them) it is against the rules of our lease. Sometimes I am awfully glad we rent, otherwise I would have no way of getting around the whole dog thing.

July 23, 2009 at 7:13 PM

What a great story and a beautiful memory for the entire family.

July 23, 2009 at 11:54 PM

We don't have a dog, but our cat can definitely read. Definitely.

July 24, 2009 at 5:09 AM

We had a prairie dog who sat on our shoulders when we read...so he kinda read, in a way...

July 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM

ohhhhh....so impressive! Can your dog teach my dog to stay off of the couch? Now I am off to read your article!

July 25, 2009 at 11:51 PM

If you want to buy roses, go ahead. DO IT. and a dog that reads --amazing.
I've missed your blog for awhile as I am getting ready for my move so probably won't be able to check in with you again until September and IF I get my HIGH SPEED. crap. I will be missing my blogger friends.

July 26, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Heidi, I am finally back in town and catching up on blogs. Oh my!! I just read your post at Mormon Women. It was so sweet and beautiful. It touched me deeply. What a great story. I was struck not only that your son answered your prayer but by the love of a Heavenly Father to take the time to reveal it to a little child. Thanks so much for sharing.

July 27, 2009 at 4:02 AM

But our dog could sled. True story.

And I watched Grey Gardens with Total Fascination last week...it totally inspired me to complete the homestretch on our preparations for Josh to come home for a visit!

August 11, 2009 at 12:54 AM

p.s. I loved the story about The Big Guy on Mormon Women! That was nice that they featured you. It was fun to see your smiling face.

August 11, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Hey, did you know that you can watch Scooby Doo on-line from netflix. My kids recently discovered this.

August 11, 2009 at 4:30 AM

Post a Comment