Flabbergasted . . .  

Posted by Heidi in


. . . to wake up to snow in a place that doesn't sport snow! We all walked around in a daze while managing to take some photos.







My trio of chilly cherubs . . .





Below is the photo I have been itching to take for a long time but thought I would never get due to lack of snow in these parts of sunny California (about 40 miles east of San Francisco).




This Gilmore Girls-esque gazebo has been crying out for a frosting of snow. (I realize that it's just snow but to us, it's a Christmas miracle!!!)





Instead of doing my exercises, the Little Guy and I geared up and headed out as soon as The Spouse and the Middle Child left the house. As we frolicked in the snow, passers-by would honk and wave and we would exchange very merry Merry Christmases with other frolickers who had been heretofore unknown to us.





Later, when the sun came out . . .









When we arrived home, instead of eating my usual healthy breakfast of hot oatmeal, we snuggled down with mugs of steaming hot chocolate and thick wedges of (gulp!) left over brownies which we consumed in front of the the faux-but-flickering fireplace. It all left me feeling a bit giddy but a goodly kind of giddy one doesn't get to gid about (enjoy) very often.







Something tells me that buckling down to regular programming for the day ain't gonna happen. I declare a snow day!

This entry was posted on Monday, December 7, 2009 at Monday, December 07, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

30 wise, witty and wonderful comments

YAY SNOW!!!!!!!!!!

December 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM

oh, and FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 7, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Wow! You have as much snow as we do!

December 7, 2009 at 1:10 PM

What gorgeous pictures!! How fun to get snow. I think we have had it twice since I have lived in AZ (25 years) and neither time was there enough to play in. Today we are getting lots of rain. That hot cocoa you had for breakfast sounds so yummy. I might just have to go make me some!!!

December 7, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Beautiful pictures and a beautiful day. We got about that much snow in Boise today. Winter is much prettier with a frosting of white.

December 7, 2009 at 1:20 PM
Anonymous  

You're right, that gazebo was just crying out for snow. How fun for you and little guy. Your mantle is also very fun and festive. Keep enjoying the holiday season!

December 7, 2009 at 1:41 PM

We were so excited this morning too! Fabulous pictures. I especialy liked the mountain shots! Snow is so magical when you aren't around it often. I hope it snows again this week!

December 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM

How fun! Love that you took advantage of it:)

December 7, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Kristina's right. About the same as we have. Except that the sun never came out. . .

Snow days are the best.

December 7, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I have about twenty times that amount of snow in my yard. And I'm flabbergasted, too! Even though I knew to expect it.

I love how the first snow (or the only snow) brings out the Christmas cheer!

December 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Wow! A snow day! I love those. (most of the time).

December 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Love that you had cocoa and brownies for breakfast! Your kids will remember the snow day more because you made it unique and special.

December 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM

So very picturesque! Snow makes Christmas so much more fun, dontcha think?

And your mantle and fire are so warm and inviting!

December 7, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I just woke up to rain....I'll take it! Don't get me wrong! I haven't seen rain in months! But snow is so fun in the winter!

December 7, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Our fingers are crossed for snow this year. Here in the desert of Las Vegas, it's uncommon but possible. Last year we got enough to make snowmen. It was like white mana from heaven for us. (yes, we ate it, too!!)

Enjoy your lovely snow day!! Pass the hot cocoa & mittens.

December 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Beautiful!! I love snow.. and snowfall. The light and gentle descent, covering everything vile and rough with its white pristine glory... it is a divine feeling!

December 8, 2009 at 3:06 AM

My favorite kind of snow! The kind that doesn't stick to the road. So much pretty. And yea for the errant breakfast. Once in a while, a very good idea.

December 8, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Sounds like a fabulously fun day. One I'm sure your little guy will remember getting to spend with his mom. Happy Snow Day to ya!

December 8, 2009 at 9:44 AM

So pretty! Way to enjoy it while you can. Who knows how many snow days you'll get there?

December 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I love that you live in a place where snow is a lovely surprise. I'm jealous! :)
Your home looks beautiful, as always!

December 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM
Anonymous  

I'd totally take a snow day at your house! Your home looks so cozy and comfortable. You're right, those gazebos did need a light frosting. =]

December 8, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Oh how lovely! And the photos of the gazebo are simply stunning!

December 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Love it! I'm glad you stopped to take advantage of that special kind of day.

December 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM

I'm glad you had a day of snow. It is beautiful when it comes, softens the earth. I hope you have a good Christmas, Arlon

December 9, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I just think these pictures are fabulous!

December 9, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Let's trade places!!! I am not a fan of snow...


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

December 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I guess a snow day where YOU live would be fun and worth celebrating. A snow day where I live is a pain in the you know what. We have been snowed in good. Hubby had to get a tractor and dig us out!!!
But I am on a plane tomorrow for Utah to see the kids and grandkids and can hardly wait.
Have a great Christmas and enjoy your hot chocolate, brownie and faux fire.

It is kinda cozy eh

December 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM

The unexpected can be fun! But when you are expecting snow and get none, it is a little frustrating! We have only had one or two major snowfalls yet this winter, and it's all melted away...hopefully we will get a white Christmas!
:~D

December 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Downright miraculous! And such pretty pictures too.

December 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I can still remember when I was growing up in SF and we got snow when I was about 5 or so...during our trip to visit relatives in Wisconsin. I was heartbroken to have missed our SF snow...even though I was surrounded by it in the midwest.

December 16, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Post a Comment