Beating The January Blues  

Posted by Heidi in

1. Suddenly everything seems incredibly spacious now that the Christmas decor is packed up and out of the way (which mine finally is, miracle of miracles!).

2. The sun shines unfettered through the Christmas tree and garland-less windows. Ah, sunshine!


3. After weeks of cleaning, cooking, baking, decorating, undecorating, unpacking, packing, shopping and wrapping of gifts, there is suddenly lots of time to do lots of nothing. (Clearly, based on the numerous smudges on this tea set, I have taken my "doing nothing" quite seriously.)
4. You can decorate for Valentine's Day because, unlike Christmas decor, there is no popular public opinion as to when is too soon to put up the cherubs and pink and roses and ribbons and pretty china (my every day decor is somewhat indistinguishable from my Valentine's Day decor, 'tis true). However, I am willing to own that there might be plenty of private opinion. You can make yours public here if you like (but be gentle as I put my Valentine's decor up before I finished taking down Christmas).

This entry was posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 at Friday, January 15, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

25 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Man, what is it about January! Blech.

January 15, 2010 at 2:38 PM

I just want my house finished so I know where all my stuff is again. We didn't even find our Christmas stockings! Darn it!

January 15, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I like your tea set! I also loved looking on aunt Carma's facebook and seeing all the great pictures of everyone from days long past. You have some good ones in there. :)
Love ya
xoxox

January 15, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I've got an "I hate V-Day" post still a-brewin' that I never posted last year. All your lovely decorations just reminded me to start strain out the good stuff.

If we just call it pretty I don't mind V-day decorations any time of year. Your home has a distinctly classy valentine feel to it.

January 15, 2010 at 6:19 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
January 15, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I keep finding bits and pieces of left over Christmas around the house: a gold star ornament, a children's picture book, a nativity piece.

Love the tea set!!

January 15, 2010 at 7:21 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
January 15, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Sorry, Heather. For some reason, my comment triple posted, so I've deleted those. :)

January 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM
Anonymous  

Yes, the tea set is lovely. I'd feel quite accomplished if my bed were just made. (I usually straighten it out just before climbing in...)

I have next to nothing in the way of Valentine's Day decor, but ABC's birthday is Feb. 13, so if he's to have his birthday devoid of other holiday trappings, I guess there isn't much point in my getting any ;-)

January 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I too love that feeling of extra space when all the christmas stuff is put away. So glad you are enjoying the next holiday.

January 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM
Anonymous  

You have one of the most beautiful homes I've ever seen. Would you decorate for me?

So glad to see you, friend. I miss you so.

January 15, 2010 at 9:32 PM

The problem with January is it seems so ugly.

Right now, the temperature is too cold to melt the remaining snow from a storm that happened 1 month ago!! So, we have ugly snow, ugly trees, and an inversion.

Yuck.

As for Valentine decorations? I think they are lovely and should be kept up all year!!

P.S. Your pictures are beautiful!!

January 15, 2010 at 10:47 PM

As much as I miss Christmas, it is nice to have everything back in order and a little less clutter.

January 16, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Heidi, is that a picture from your house? It looks like it came out of a magazine!

January 16, 2010 at 8:41 AM

It's never too soon to fill your home with beautiful things, is it?

January 16, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Your home looks like a cozy haven of a bed and breakfast!

LOVE that tea set.

January 16, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Your home does look like a cozy bed and breakfast. Just lovely.

As to the Valentines decorations...thumbs down for me...

January 16, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Thanks for your positive attitude. I always get the blues in January. This year I decided to have a huge book giveaway on my blog to keep me busy and counteract the blahs. It's working.
Warmest,
Cami

January 16, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Neato tea set!! You have such awesome style. I think you belong in a castle in the 1700's --those Victorian novels I read. Much like Miss Delacourt. That is You. I can see you in a big frilly dress, with white gloves, sipping your "tea"

I want a post of your valentine decor.

January 16, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Colored lights just had to go.
Left the white ones in the snow.
Heart upon a rod iron stand.
decked with pink lights wrapped by hand.
White lights twinkle, pink lights gleam.
Cherub votives set the scene
For a winter month not glum.
It's warming up the month to come.

January 17, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Thank you, Heidi, for your gracious comment on my blog! The snippet of a poem would not have become a seed and surfaced for sun if I had not "stumbled across" your post for January.

Your novel looks intriguing! I am certain my daughters will agree.

Thinking on the teapot set and tea: I love the Tension Tamer by Celestial Seasonings for quesy and/or nervous tummy eruptions. Of course I love the image on the box of a princess sitting calmly on the dragon too!

January 19, 2010 at 4:41 AM

I took that Christmas stuff down as soon as I could. We live in too small of a place and it made me feel all claustrophobic. WE don't decorate for valentines day but I say you can put it up and take it down whenever you darned well please. :-)

January 20, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Actually, the only way I could get my son to let me take down Christmas was to promise that we could decorate for Valentines.

So, Christmas came down last night and Valentines shall go up today.

Nice to see you!

January 21, 2010 at 8:27 AM

This has been a hideous January in the DC area. It sleeted today. Not sure if it's post holiday blues or legitimate winter malaise - but I'm already starting to yearn for summer. Being festive and decorating for valentine's day is a good idea... Hallmark was definitely onto something...

January 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM

and may I just say....it is beautiful. I love your sense of decor. It gives me some hope that maybe it could be in the genes. If not I can always live vicariously through you.
Roxanne

February 3, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Post a Comment