What's A Girl To Do When She's Feeling Blue?  

Posted by Heidi

Shop? Go out to dinner? Spend an evening with the gal pals? Plan a vacation? Date night with hubby? A long bath whilst eating a hot fudge sundae?

What do you do when you're feeling blue?

(I've been working on a fun home decor project which I hope to post about next week . . . Meanwhile, the poll in my sidebar indicates that "keeping it real" is important to a majority of voters. I'm working on a really "real" post for next week, too . . . )

This entry was posted on Friday, January 29, 2010 at Friday, January 29, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

22 wise, witty and wonderful comments

I was TOTALLY going to do this same poll on my blog!
But I'm afraid of what people would say.

AND I kind of think that keep it real and mix it up can be done together, so you've got it made, sistah.


when I'm blue.... I usually eat something stupid.

But if I really want to feel better I either exercise or clean out a closte.

January 29, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I'm fighting the winter blues too. Shopping is a bad coping idea for me because I spend more when I'm trying to cheer myself up. The rest of your ideas sound pretty good. :)

This is what I do: http://www.wholegrainphotography.net/ladyhawker/?p=683

January 29, 2010 at 4:21 PM

My best thing to do when I feel down is to get out of my house and be with other people. What I usually do though is eat chocolate. But that only helps for a few minutes. Then I feel bad about eating it. Getting out is much better. Can't wait to see your project.

January 29, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Find something else to totally occupy your mind. That always works for me. In fact, that is how I started creating my scripture thingies, which led to my book. For me it is mind over matter (not that I am always able to get that to work).

January 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I usually surf the internet and when it gets bad enough, complain to my husband and/or cry!

January 29, 2010 at 5:46 PM

If I can, I go out to lunch with a friend. If I'm stuck at home I watch clips of the Daily Show, Jon Stewart always makes me laugh.

January 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Eat lots of chocolate (I'm almost through my bag of Choco chips right now).

Are you blue? If so, I hope you feel better soon!

January 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I vote for the bath/chocolate/good book option.

January 29, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I wish I could help you, but, I've been feeling blue myself.

Can you take a minute for yourself? I know that would help me.

January 29, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I usually watch HGTV or get online or eat. Ugh, none of those sound very healthy or active.

Hope you feel better soon.

January 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM
Anonymous  

Me? I crawled into bed and didn't come out for a few hours. I don't know that it helped much but I didn't know what else to do.

I hope you're not feeling blue and that if you were, you had a night of joy to take you out of it. *Hugs*

January 29, 2010 at 10:30 PM

My first inkling when I'm down is to curl up on the couch and become a hermit. But I know that the best medicine is friendship and laughter... So I call a friend.
Hope your weekend is wonderful!

January 30, 2010 at 5:22 AM

I'm a crier. I don't specifically do anything to try to feel better. except for my months of depression with my pregnancy I don't usually stay down for long. Maybe because I always eat lots of baked goods no matter how I'm feeling. Yes, that must be the secret!

You didn't tell us what YOU do? Or was it all the things you listed?

January 30, 2010 at 5:56 AM

I've been blue all month long in fits and starts. I shake the blues for a day or two and then they settle in again.

I went out last night with some dear gf's. We were out until 1am talking. It was therapy.

January 30, 2010 at 2:11 PM

I like to immerse myself in a really good book. It helps me get out of my own head for a while.

And of course, it's always nice to eat a candy bar while I'm reading.

January 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Gosh, all those ideas of "what to do when your feeling blue" are good ones. sometimes it helps to spend it with those who love ou and understand you and make you laugh---and other times, well, you just need to be alone and ride it out.
I don't know.
but the hot fudge and bubble bath was sounding pretty good

January 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I love to do all of the above and read. It is such a nice escape.

February 1, 2010 at 9:54 AM

I love the hot fudge sundae while taking a bath idea! I will have to try that soon. Usually I watch Lifetime movies and eat junk food!

February 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM

"Don't wait for the storm to pass; Dance in the rain." I love that motto. I always say to myself "What if_______" the blank is filled with something worse than what I am dealing with and it brings me back to reality: "Count My Many Blessings"!

February 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Ideally I would shop - but since my financial advisor (husband) doesn't approve of that kind of therapy, I usually watch TV/movies and eat. Comfort food is thus named for a reason! Hope the blues leave you soon.

February 4, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Stumbled in here in the middle of the night, so you see, good things can happen when you wander around in the dark :) Lovely place, I think I could just hang out for ages . . .

I have quite a list: hike my hills, organize a closet, read my current best seller, do the dishes and make my bed, bake chocolate chip cookies, clean out the fridge . . .

but mostly I prefer to just vegetate for a bit with chocolate and a diet coke!

Be back frequently!

Kristin

February 5, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Seriously? I missed two posts? Meh. Apparently my brain's not been doing so well at keeping up.

Anyhow, I watch funny movies when I'm down and I also call good friends. Both help a lot.

February 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Post a Comment