Service: A Cautionary Tale  

Posted by Heidi in




Rule #1: Do not blog about anything that might give the adversary (i.e. Lucifer, Satan, the devil, Beezelbub or, as the Big Guy styles him, “that little dragon”) a clear view of the chinks in your armor. He might not be able to read your thoughts but he can read. (I know.)

Rule #2: Do not blog about how you are committing yourself to serving others when there are others in close proximity to your location who might be reading and expecting to be one of those, er . . .others. Between that well-read adversary putting up roadblocks and the people around you quite possibly hoping for cookies on their doorstep (they know I am hopeless at full-blown dinners) (though I do make a mean chicken noodle soup) (with canned stock and shredded rotisserie chicken b/c I can’t cook a chicken to save my life) (let’s hope it never comes to that) you might end up feeling like you just might explode from the self-inflicted pressure. (I know.)

Rule #3: Do not blog about "serving enough for it to pinch" without first making clear the truthfulness of James’ comment on my last post. (Everyone go read James’ comment—it’s very good and oh, so true! Also, James is soon to be published. James is so lucky!) (And while you are at it, read the other comments, too, because they are all sweeter than candy with a whole lot less calories.) (Just in time for Valentine’s Day. How lucky are we?)

Rule #4: Do not blog about service and kind words and meaningful acts of support and encouragement without being prepared for lots of sweeter-than-candy comments that you read repeatedly, cutting (deeply) into the time you could be serving others. (You guys are the best and I love you to pieces!) (Honestly, you are all getting me through a very difficult time and it means a lot! In fact, I wish I could put your words on conversation hearts and eat ‘em all up!)

I’m going to leave it at four because it is one of my favorite numbers (I don’t have just one favorite of anything which is rather odd when one considers that I have very specific tastes) and add a little off-topic comment, here. I have recently been doing edits on MD2 which I haven’t read in nearly eight months and can I just say . . . Sir Anthony still rocks. And Lucinda is still a hoot. And Ginny is still madly in love and Lord Avery is still talking about duels and Grandaunt/Grandmama is still sharp-nosed and eagle-eyed yet (and this is the best part) they are all even better at it. Can’t wait for you all to read it! So. Much. F
un.

This entry was posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 at Saturday, February 13, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

22 wise, witty and wonderful comments

Funny that it can get dangerous to talk about service. Yeah, I have been waiting for you to show up here in my little world to help me with laundry, but alas...

February 13, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I love the idea that sweet things people say to you could be printed on candy hearts to gobble up. That would be one sweet treat!

February 13, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Rules duly noted--I believe you on every one!

(Congrats on MD2--I LOVE going back to a ms and finding that I still like it!)

February 13, 2010 at 3:52 PM

After reading James comment, well I couldn't think of anything to equal and so I didn't comment. But having lived through last year when people's comments got me through a time I didn't think I would get through, well I can understand the power of the written comment. So good that you can read them over and over.

And so now I will say that I am rooting for you and I know that you can survive this time. Just breathe in and out all the time and eventually days will become weeks and weeks will become months.

LY girl. Keep keeing on.

February 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I missed a post? How did this happen? The good news? I wasn't expecting cookies or chicken soup.

By the way, what is it about people expecting service? It's not that I don't like giving service or even receiving service. It's just that expectations ruin nearly everything. Service included.

By the way, not only can the adversary read, he can also see. So even if we don't mention our weaknesses, he's diabolically clever at figuring them out anyhow.

Now to go read the missed post. I SO love you.

February 13, 2010 at 5:27 PM
Anonymous  

I have occasionally made public my intentions for improvements hoping that accountability will provide motivation, but I agree that it tends to backfire.

Can't wait for MD2!!

Blessings upon you and yours.

February 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I must profess to not being very good at service, so there'll be no blog bragging in my part of the woods. I have a lot of thoughts and empathy, but not a lot of action.

February 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Just curious. Has that little dragon read Miss D? Did he give a good review?

February 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I need to be more servicey. I probably shouldn't say that out loud.

February 13, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I can't wait to read MD 2!

I love the sweet words. We all need more of those. =)

February 13, 2010 at 9:45 PM

He can read? CRAP! There goes my journaling!
Can't wait for MD2!!!

February 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM

looking forward to MD2 - (and no, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth, but I keep taking month long hiatuses... hiati... whatever - amidst my real life stress)

February 14, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Another reason whey bloggins is "good for the soul"
maybe someone out there sends us a comment that really helps us, touches us, gets to the core of what we were trying to say
JAMES - although not looking very old, seems very wise and insightful.
I thought his comments was very "right on"

anyway,Shhhhh, I agree. I don't like to let Satan know where my weakness are so he can continue to infest them......and on the other side, I kinda don't like to let the Lord know what I need strengthening on.....cause that means challenges and trials to learn those things.
Ouch.

February 14, 2010 at 12:52 PM

There's got to be a website out there somewhere that lets you make your own conversation hearts. . .

Yeah. I have learned similar lessons the hard way. Which is why I pretty much never tell anyone my good intentions. But, I don't know. That doesn't seem to be horribly effective either. . .

And I can't wait for MD2!

February 14, 2010 at 8:19 PM

It's Fat Tuesday! Happy Mardi Gras!

February 16, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I can't wait to see MD2!!

And James is wise.

Be well my friend.

February 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM

How did I miss this post?

1. You're awesome and I just love you!

2. I am very approving of James and his comment. After all, I married the guy.

3. The thought of reading MD2 (Um, I mean about Sir Anthony) makes me happy. Excpt I want to read it now.

February 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM
Anonymous  

I'm so sorry it's taken me forever to get back here. (My computer was gone.)

That WAS an excellent comment by James and one that I felt like I needed today.

I just want to tell you Heidi that you may not feel like it but you've served me in so many ways. Your friendship, advice, letters, and trust have lifted me and saved me on so many occassions. I love ya, Heids. Your friendship means so much to me.

February 18, 2010 at 11:47 PM
Anonymous  

p.s. MD2 DOES rock. ;) Just saying.

February 18, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Ha ha Those are all great rules to follow. Especially number 1.

Hey,it was so good to see you the other day. How are you? How's Miss D II?

I haven't been around the blogasphere either. It's been a crazy year. But I miss you and everyone else.

LY

February 19, 2010 at 9:15 AM

i love these rules! How great.

February 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Those are great rules, Heidi. The Bad Bird (that one comes courtesy of the Dominican Republic) is not only literate, but is fluent in all languages. Ehay evenhay ows(k)nay Igpay Atinlay. I don't like him. :-(

Speaking of the Devil, it occurred to me that ol' Scratch is the only person you can tell to go to Hell with any confidence that it will actually happen someday. So if you're reading this over my shoulder as I type, you foul liar, you know where you can go.

Anyway, I'm beyond flattered, Heidi, that you're telling people to read something I wrote. I am also flattered by the kind things others have said as well. You are all too kind.

I need to clarify something Heidi said for those who aren't acquainted with the situation. Yes, I am going to be published, but only in a very small way. That, and I completely owe it to Heidi. I cannot adequately express my gratitude for what she did for me.

I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that all this has something to do with MD2. So everyone should just buy it--I mean, pre-order it. I haven't read MD2, but if it's anywhere near as good as the first one (which I have read and thoroughly enjoyed), it will be incredible.

February 20, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Post a Comment