Into Each Life Some Green Must Glow  

Posted by Heidi


Spring sprung in our corner of the world last week . . .


. . . so we went exploring . . .

. . . and discovered this lovely blueness tucked in the midst of the brown and green.


If you study the photos, you will see that each was taken along the same path but from different perspectives. By so doing, things were seen, discovered and learned about that were not obvious, visible or apparent from the original perspective.

Perspective is a gift. The challenges in my life that have broadened my perspective on life are gifts. As I learn and grow from the circumstances of my life, I feel grateful, as well as the need to constantly shift and change my way of thinking. For example, the first 12 years or so of our marriage, our homes gradually became larger. The second 12 years or so of our marriage, our homes have gradually become smaller. The five of us, three of whom are larger than I, now live in 1,000 square feet. This has required a change in my perspective.
My latest obsession is a reality T.V. show in which people hunt for larger homes or vacation homes in exotic lands. I shake my head in amazement when they claim that a home of 1500 square feet for the two of them or a vacation home with only two bathrooms in which they will spend only a few weeks a year is “just too small”. My perspective has been changed and I have discovered that, just like the little vista of blue water that appeared over the dusty road, there is space where I once imagined there was none.


For example, when the horizontal space is gone, you can go vertical.

My sweet husband has been supportive and self-sacrificing when it came to my book and my blog but now it is my turn to put my little joys on the back burner while he pursues some of his. For months I have been trying to figure out how to “do it all” and though I have learned to stretch and spread myself a bit thinner, I have come to the conclusion that it just can’t all be done the way I want it to be done. My perspective has changed and I have realized that my wants and wishes aren’t as important right now as some other things. My turn to hang out a lot in blogdania will come around again.
For now, my goal is to visit each of you you once a month because I do so long to know how you are all doing and what is going on in your lives. Love you!

This entry was posted on Saturday, February 20, 2010 at Saturday, February 20, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

25 wise, witty and wonderful comments

There are definitely some days when the ol' blog world feels more like burden than joy. And some days when it's the treat to reward myself. Way to know when to say when. Let me know when you figure out how to do everything!

February 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Balance. What makes me happiest is when there is balance in my life. I think I am where you are...cutting back the bushes to let more light thru. Enjoy your break!

February 20, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Yes. Sacrifice begets sacrifice, no? Great idea.

Have a wonderful vacation.

February 20, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I love you too! I miss spending as much time in Blogandia as I once did, but balance is a gift, one I am seeking after most diligently.

February 20, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Is it House Hunters International? Because it drives me nuts how two adults and two kids NEED at least 2500 square feet. When my son tells me about the one room an African family would sometimes live in...

And I am so jealous that you are already seeing Spring. We have snow on the ground. :(

About supporting your husband. That got to me, because it is so obvious that you guys are such a terrific team. I appreciate the way you are letting life teach you, and am constantly humbled by your love for your family. You are awesome.

Can I still keep connected with you during the stretches between blog check-ins? Email? Coming to Utah in the next few months?

Big big warm hugs to you. Take good care.

February 20, 2010 at 10:11 PM

You have green! Drink it all in for me! We just have snow snow and more snow.

Go at the pace you need to go with things in your life... the blog world will always be waiting here for you. :)

February 21, 2010 at 5:42 AM
Anonymous  

Those pictures make me want to take a hike!

Thanks for making the effort to, however tenuously, maintain those ties of friendship. You're the best!

February 21, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Moderation in all things. Follow your gut and don't worry about what others might think. We all love hearing your words, but it does not need to be daily or even weekly if that is not possible.

February 21, 2010 at 8:09 AM

No wonder you write books. You sure have a lovely way of telling "what you want to get across"
Perspective ---I need to work on that.

and if you can only visit me once a month, I'll consider myself lucky.

and oooohhhh, I could use some spring.

February 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM

gorgeous photos, wonderful thoughts, beautiful perspective... as always, we're happy to have a little Heidi in our lives when it is possible.

Blogging has been a wonderful blessing sometimes, and a chore at others - currently I'm shooting for a once a week post - if possible :)

February 21, 2010 at 11:59 AM
Anonymous  

I love seeing you--whenever you can drop by. I know that life has seasons though and so I understand your storminess and your spring. I love you in all seasons.

February 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM

1. The pictures are beautiful and make me want to move somewhere warm.

2. I will miss you. But, I admire what you are doing.

Just be sure to post something when MD2 comes out! I can't miss that!

February 21, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Love the pictures. It makes me excited for Spring.

It's always good to hear when people are giving up something good for something better. You will be missed, but it sounds like you are needed elsewhere. Keep up the good work. =)

February 22, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Do what you gotta do, we'll still be here! Love you Heidi!

February 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Be well and enjoy your break. I hope you come back filled because of what you have done.

(I too am jealous of the spring. I am ready. Very ready.)

February 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM

It's really REALLY beautiful. It's these little beautiful things in nature that really bouy my spirits. I am in constant awe of the natural beauty around us. And it is FREE! :)

February 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I hear you. "There is space where I once imagined there was none."

That quote is going down in my quote log. I love it.

We are a young family of 6, living in 1500 sf. For the last 6 yrs I've cried over it's smallness. Now that we are house shopping for something larger, I'm hesitant, and now seeing the joy and possibilities in this tiny place. Funny how that is.

Enjoy your time and perspective, it is healthy & balanced. I admire that. Love ya, girl.

February 22, 2010 at 11:06 PM

You really do have it all in perspective Heidi! I'll be glad to see you whenever you visit, and hope your husband is enjoying his hobbies too. Lovely, photos - and so jealous that it's spring there already. I have loads of snow all over the lawn still!

February 23, 2010 at 10:54 AM

That's what a good marriage is like, right there.

I took a break from commenting a while back - things were just too hard for me. Now I'm trying to visit people more often. I'll see you around! xo

February 23, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I will definitely look forward to your once-a-month visit...unlike that other monthly visit that I curse frequently:)

PS-I'm all kinds of jealous of your spring.

February 23, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I read this yesterday but apparently I didn't comment on it? BEAUTIFUL pictures! Wow. I want to be there. And it's so true about perspective. I hope I could be happy in any size house, and I know where we live is definitely more spacious than we need. It's not how much room you have but who you're sharing the space with and how you treat each other!

February 23, 2010 at 2:22 PM

These pictures are so beautiful! You live here? Can I come live with you?
I totally understand what you mean about perspective. I've had some time off myself.
We will be here for you when you are ready to come back!

February 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Heidi, it was so good to hear from you! It was like a visit from an old friend. I love your pictures and your comments on perspective. And I am curious what projects your husband has in store for his life right now. And of course I wish you all the very best.

February 24, 2010 at 6:42 PM

You are well worth waiting for, my dear.

March 2, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I love the notion of perspective, and love how you captured it in photos here.

I think this is inextricably tied to what faith means -- a willingness to be flexible and not hold too tightly to one perspective, because often our limited vision is what makes the journey harder and yet can be the hardest thing to let go of.

March 18, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Post a Comment